Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

Playing with the Pick-up

Stigian

Its been a quiet week on the WH front, not much has got done other than fitting new wheels and a roller to the Raiders cutting deck.

Most of the week has been spent getting Betsie (the Pick-up) ready for service :thumbs:

You know the sort of thing, fixing the door locks, a bit of welding here and there, fix the radio, make up a winch mounting point, etc

Anyway, yesterday Garry and i thought it was about time we got a 'orse in the back to find out how easy it was :P

Two things we learn't yesterday :P

1 Always make sure your pick-up is wide enough for your mower, we had to take the duels off the back while the WH was half way up the ramp :thumbs:

2 Make sure your winch has a reverse on it, the hand crank one we used didnt, so new longer ramps had to be found so i could drive the 'orse out the back again :D

100_2713.jpg

100_2716.jpg

100_2717.jpg

Do you think the Raider rims and rubber suit it? :P:D

100_2721.jpg

T-Mo

Ian,

I loved the clean lines and the look of that truck's cab. Be careful with those wooden ramps, though, that they don't kick out from under you when you use them. Maybe buy one of those ramp kits that bolt to 2 x 8's. I used a set for a couple of years - worked great. They now reside as anchor points into my shed.

Hmm, I do like the looks of the Raider rims and tires for your truck. :thumbs:

Nick

Ian, Your Ford has a longer bed than I had thought. Doesnt look like it sits very high, maybe you could build a folding ramp gate for the back. If the tractor gets hauled often it might come in handy. :thumbs:

This company makes a ramp that fold up at the back. Im sure you could build a ramp setup like it.

Discount ramps

Nick in Ohio

perry

i agree with the others..GET RID OF THOSE BOARDS. i have seen too many accidents with using plain boards. i built a set of wood ramps for my pickup, but i either push'em up or stick the tractor in 1st gear and let it go up the ramps by itself. a tractor is heavyier than you think when its on top of you,,,,i have seen it happen.

i like that little pick-up :thumbs: .

Rollerman

Ian is your truck a rear or front drive?

The cab does remind me of a Merkur I used to have.

I think TT said that they resemble them too?

Oh and the ags look great...but may give you fits driveing in the rain. :thumbs:

Stigian

Cheers for all the concerns about the ramps, you are a caring bunch :thumbs:

The boards in the photo's were only used for winching the 'orse into the back of the wagon, and yes they were not really ideal for the job :P

The new ramps that were needed to get the 'orse back off the truck are a lot thicker, a lot longer, and are also the same size :thumbs:

All they need is a thick metal plate on the ends to hook over a big lip in the pick-up bed.

Most of the mowers will be pushed up into the pick-up bed, but id better get an electric winch for those that dont like turning wheels :D

Ian is your truck a rear or front drive?

It drives from the right end Stephen :P :D