Coadster32

So I'm working on "tidying up" a bit...

Definatly the right place to start. Good luck on the build. :thumbs:

flex

nice dodge that will look cool when it's done :thumbs: :D

W9JAB

:USA: still looking for an update :)

bell

Not much progress yet, still working on the garage...

Been slowly gathering parts for the Dodge inbetween construction projects...

Got these vintage Edelbrock valve covers... Who in their right mind would use something this cool as "masking" for the rocker arms? They will clean up nice though. I'm going to bead blast them and polish the tops of the ribs and Edelbrock script...

garageocto_003.jpg

And, the best part...

A Offenhauser 3x2 intake...

offenhauser.jpg

horsefeathers

Bell, Had a few sets of Micky Thompson rocker covers like that before Edelbrock bought'em out, vintage- vintage! Use cork gaskets or they'll leak! Six Pac Offy is cool touch! Trip Holley's I'am sure! Shaker?

Can't wait to see more!!!

bell

I ended up getting a '64 ford f-100 front axle that matches the bolt pattern on the new wheels... 20" steel, Dodge Ram spares.

In the past couple months, I somehow managed to get the new axles/ wheels and tires under it for a little motivation... Been REALLY busy around here.

dodgebrothers.jpg

It's now in the shop and the build is in full swing.... I'm on vacation until Monday!

inthere.jpg

bell

My garage floor is FAR from flat and level, so today I built a frame table. Perfectly level, flat and square! Starting on the frame in the morning!!!

frametable.jpg

horsefeathers

Wow This is goin'a get good... I can tell !

Glad you came back to share this with us!

I can't wait!!!

:hide: HORSEFEATHERS!

HorseFixer

Looking good Jon. :hide:

Cheers ~Duke

:WRS:

VinsRJ

Nice work Jon! Keep the pics coming! :hide:

shorts

awsome project, suggestion, you may want to make provisions on your frame table to attach an axle and hitch for mobility when this project is done so that it is easy to move around until the next project, nothing fancy just some rollers and a drawbar :hide:

Redbirdman

Momma drags me off to "Barnes and Noble" everytime we go to 'Outback'.....or out for breakfast ..........and everytime I get there I read the different issues of "RAT ROD" magazines...........

if only I was a little younger...hmmmmmm

what bothers me is when I was young the rat rods were just a joke....like rat bikes!

Now that every rich yuppy can just go and buy a finished fake 'hot-rod' the Rat Rods really seem to have a great appeal. I want one waaaaa :WRS:

ed :disgust::) :hide:

Horse'n Around

I want one waaaaa :WRS:

ed :disgust::):hide:

Ed,

Knowing you, I have a feeling that you would probably figure out a way to shoehorn a Rolls Royce Merlin in it if you got one :hide: That would be a thing of beauty, I can hear it now, a screaming Merlin is like sweet music to my ears !!!

bell

Thanks fellas! I cut the table back apart and put it on the trailer. It will go back behind dad's barn until I get the urge to build another one... :hide:

Well, I spent the day cutting, grinding and welding... and every muscle in my body hurts, but I think it was worth the effort.

The frame is basically done. I just tacked the crossmembers, as I'm sure they'll need to be moved a bit, and I'm going to fishplate the joints.... But, it's done enough to get on with mounting the body, engine placement, etc.

Just before I cut it loose from the table...

aframe1.jpg

Ready for axles and mockup suspension... (already in progress)

aframe2.jpg

shorts

:WRS: progress is looking good, now for the smaller brackets that take so much time and effort. I sure wish my shop was as clean and organized as yours :hide:

bell

Thanks!

It's a roller again!

dodgeframedone_022.jpg

dodgeframedone_024.jpg

dodgeframedone_039.jpg

horsefeathers

Bell, that thing is "Sweet" !!!

Was wondering if you were goin'a channel this cage!

And you did got the stance ohhh so right !

Luv that dumped in da' weeds look!

This Roast is goin'a be azz bad as you want it to be!

You have a great start :hide::WRS:

Keep the pic's commin' man!

:) HORSEFEATHERS!

bell

Thanks Bud! I forgot to mention that there is another 6" of uptravel in the rear suspension.... When I air out the bags, the rocker panels will be 1/4" off the pavement. The frame (or the titanium drag blocks, rather) will be sitting on the ground! I can't wait to "air it out" going down the highway..... :hide:

horsefeathers

Round hood junkie, You can blow the bags and throw sparks!

How 'bout some specks on that 400 ci?

You runnin' a stick or 727 , 8 3/4 or dana?

I need a powertrain fix!!!

:woohoo: HORSEFEATHERS!

bell

For now, the 400 is going to stay stock... I'm going to put the 2bbl carb and intake back on, just to get it going. I'll be running a 727, unless I find a good deal on a 4-speed. Usable Mopar 4-speeds are going for $1000+ right now, so that's probably not gonna happen.

When I break the car down for paint and final assembly, I'll freshen the engine up and slide in a Thumpr cam and put the Offy intake with Rochester 2G's on. If it runs good, I'll probably just put in new gaskets, Thumpr cam and the 3x2 intake and carbs.

That's the plan as of now... subject to change though. If only I could get my buddy to let go of the FRESH, NEVER RAN 392 Hemi that he's been saving since the late 60's.... He has a BRAND NEW Offy (4 2barrel) intake and 4 BRAND NEW Strombergs for it.... :woohoo:

horsefeathers

Wow a vintage 392, w/stromburg 97's on an Offy !!!!

Talk about visual stimulation !

Keep workin' on him.... you need that mill !!!!

bell

I whittled some mounts out of 3/16" plate...

cellpic1.jpg

And, the rest is pretty self-explanitory....

cellpic2.jpg

dbengine005.jpg

dbengine002.jpg

I ordered heim joints, spacers and tube adapters for the front suspension (quarter-elliptical)... They should be here for the weekend!

horsefeathers

Bell, Wishbones or single radius bars?

I'am diggin' that Offy triple (can't say no to a six pac)!

Good stuff man!

bell

Bud, neither!!! I built a quarter elliptical leaf set up. I like to be different! Thanks for the kind words!

I'll add some gussets and do a little trimming when I break it down for finish welding/ paint.

It took me awhile to figure out the front suspension mounts... I ended up making a cross-section (drawing) of the I beam and made all of my brackets off of that. The mount goes all the way around the beam and ties back into itself on the other side. Probably overkill, but I know it will be good.

dbengine_001.jpg

Half of the original DB front leaf packs... I had to add another leaf to get a slight positive arch.

dbengine_004.jpg

The DB supporting itself once again...

dbengine_010.jpg

dbengine_011.jpg

dbengine_012.jpg

As I said before, I'll be trimming up the mounts/ brackets and adding a few gussets when I blow it apart for finish work.

ON TO THE DRIVESHAFT TUNNEL!!!

bell

Of course I had to chop the grille shell and play around with the headlights a bit...

Not sure which one I like better, the high mount lights.... or the low mount.

dbengine_017.jpg

dbengine_015.jpg

dbengine_023.jpg

dbengine_024.jpg