Sign in to follow this  
bell

Building a Rat

bell

I have been wanting to build a Rat Rod for quite some time... I started one YEARS ago, using a 1936 GMC pickup, but I didn't know enough about fabricating stuff back then to make it a success...

I was browsing Craigslis the other night and found the PERFECT platform for a family-friendly Rat... A 1927 Dodge Brothers 124. The guy was interested in trading... and turns out, he was interested in a certain Case loader tractor. :thumbs:

The wife, kids and I picked it up Monday morning!

How cool is this pic? The Magnum is the same version of the old DB, only about 80 years newer... :D

rat007.jpg

rat006.jpg

rat005.jpg

rat004.jpg

rat003.jpg

Coming off the trailer...

rat009.jpg

rat008.jpg

bell

The front wheels were long gone... (21" solid steel) And there is virtually nothing out there to match the 5 on 6-1/2" bolt pattern, so I modified a set of Suzuki Samurai wheels to fit it, for rolling it around. I wish I had the original wheels, they would DEFINATELY be going back on it, with some wide whites.

After an afternoon of altitude adjustment, it's starting to look a little better. :thumbs:

rat012.jpg

rat011.jpg

rat010.jpg

rat013.jpg

This is (within 1") the suspension height I'm after. I will probably be doing a buggy leaf in the front and the same in the back. I will be channeling the body 3 or 4 inches, to mostly cover the frame rails and to get it a little closer to the ground. Then, I will chop 3 or 4 inches out of the top. That should put the roof line at about 48" to 50".

I am on the hunt for a late model Dodge Dakota, Ram, Magnum, Charger, etc... with either a 4.7 V8 or a 5.7 Hemi for the Engine, harness, transmission and possibly the rear axle.

Horse'n Around

Bell, Thats looks great,you have a incredible car to start with... all the good stuff is already there. I cant wait to see how it comes out. You made a good trade, its going to look awesome ! :thumbs: By the way, where do you live? You have a really beautifull place there ! I cant wait till we can move back to PA, I miss it there a LOT!

Congratulations,

John

Indy w h

Looking good Jon !!!

Indy

perry

cool ride jon :thumbs: .

my buddy is building a rat rod out of 1934 dodge brothers sedan . he picked it up out of a farmers field earlier this year. yours looks way better than what he has to work with. all he had to start with was a flimsy body with no floor from the rear doors back. also has the dash cowl piece that was laying next to it. he bought a 38 dodge frame off craigslist and started building. the cowl was moved back to the suicide doors and its now set down on a rolling frame with the engine installed allready. he claims he will have it done and driveing this year in the woodward cruise in august :D .

ill have to get some pics next time im over there.

rickv1957

Jon,looks like a great project there!,Rick

W9JAB

:thumbs:

WoW, As one who restored a model "A" from the ground up, I see a lot of time and money, being sunk into this project.

I would really like to see this as you progress it looks like a fun ride.

:D

Brrly1

Bump! See Ya, Bye Burly :thumbs:

:D

Roger from southern Iowa

What a great find!!!!!

It will make a GREAT rat rod.

Have you thought about "motorvation" at this point?

bell

I've been planning, gathering parts, etc... so I haven't made any real progress yet.

rat_001.jpg

rat_003.jpg

Got the floor out of the way... In the next week or so, I'll pull the steering column/ box and brace the body for the channel. I plan on doing the channel next weekend. Going with a 4 or 5 inch channel and a 4" chop.

rat_005.jpg

Picked up the engine and transmission last night... A 70's 400 Mopar with a 727 auto. A big thanks to Jeremy and Logan for helping me get the engine...

rat_006.jpg

Greg Parnell

Don't see many of those around, good choice for a hot rod car.

My cousins working on restoring a 60's mustang, it's in about as many pieces as yours is now. He has all the parts he needs and is working to put it back together.

Have fun with it!!

Horse'n Around

I like your choice of using a big block, and with the 400,you can still use go fast goodies and dress up stuff for a 383 and 440 except the intake manifold which is wider on a 440 than the 383 and 400.....Then there are the old Max Wedge big blocks from the early 60's..... schwing !!!!! Sorry I got carried away for a second :thumbs:

I always loved having the distributor at the front of the engine and oil pump is on the outside of the engine on the big block too. 727 Torqueflights are bulletproof trannies too, sweet!!!!!! :D John

horsefeathers

Bell, You Dawg you!

Man you and I are on the same page!

I luv your :thumbs: tractors!

And I'am sure ya' know by now I dig 'da rat rods!

Been wantin' a rat project myself!

The '68 Charger project just ain't rat material!

That Dodge bros. sedan is a perfect start!

Ya' know I'am true to all Mopar!

The 400 B engine is a good choice!

You can drop in a 440 crank!

'71 and early were forged steel!

W/30thuo over bore you'll get 444CI.

Short block stroker!

Drag racers luv this set up over a RB engine!

Tuff 'n tight!

Good luck with he project!

:D HORSEFEATHERS!

clintonnut

My dad is putting a 400 in his Coronet. If you put a Max Wedge crank in a 400 you get somewhere around 452 cubes. You can get a max wedge crank from either a max wedge car or a early 60s mopar with a 413 industrial motor (motorhomes, imperials, new yorkers etc)

Put a A518 behind it and that will give you lockup and overdrive!

The 400 has a bigger bore but a shorter stroke than a 440. Putting a max wedge crank in gives you a stroker with a forged crank. My dad has 4 or 5 of these cranks and might sell you one for a VERY good price!

Charlie

bell

Thanks for all the comps fellas!

Just so you know, I've been a Mopar guy since I learned to drive my '71 Duster (3 on the tree) in the cornfields as a kid... Since then, I've had a '71 Duster 340, several Darts, a '68 GTX, '70 Roadrunner 383-4speed, '67 Sport Fury convertible and several late 60's/early 70's and a couple 80's, 90's trucks and a couple Dakotas/ 2002 Ram/ Durango... I just love the Mopars!

I had thought about building a stroker, but I think the 400 (with a good stock rebuild) will be PLENTY. The car will probably only weigh 2000-2500 pounds when it's done... :thumbs:

Daddy Don

You have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck.

horsefeathers

Bell, Sorry I got carried away there! Been doin' the Mopar thing for 35 years!

Thank you for NOT! goin' w/small block chevy like the cheap brainless do!

Yea I know the Mopar starter is on the left side makes sterring 'n headders a problem! But you'll get it ! That's what Mopar guys do ! No compromise!

The 70s 400 is a low compression low Horsepower B engine!

But... you know what to do to wake it up!

Looks like a great project! Have fun!

MOPAR OR NO CAR!

:thumbs: HORSEFEATHERS!

bell

It's all good horsefeathers!!! That is one of my favorite things about this car... It REALLY gets the imagination working. The possibilities are ENDLESS and it will be AWESOME just about any way it's built... (except with a small block chevy) lol

The steering will not be an issue with cowl steering.... And the headers will not be a problem with "lake" style headers... :thumbs:

horsefeathers

Roundhood Junkie, I'am didin' it big time!

Just like yer Wheel Horse tractors!

If I were a 1000mi. from where I'am at now!

I'd feel right at home in your garage!

Keep the updates commin'!

HORSEFEATHERS!

rickv1957

Jon,looks like you have a good plan there!! :thumbs: Rick

bell

Thanks fellas!

Ready for the weekend!!!! :thumbs:

mms_picture.jpg

Roger from southern Iowa

You are my kind of man!!

Looks like you're doing it right!

Keep the updates coming. :thumbs:

horsefeathers

Bell, Looks like that Magnum does "open from either end"!

And well used, gotta' respect that!

Guess yer gonna' do some welding?

Wish I was there to help!

Keep the good stuff coming!

:thumbs: HORSEFEATHERS!

W9JAB

:thumbs: any update??????? :D

bell

No update yet.... I've been remodeling the garage for the past couple weeks... It was getting to where I couldn't think when I went out to work on the Dodge. (too much clutter) So I'm working on "tidying up" a bit...

I'll have more soon. :thumbs: