Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Anybody a boater?

Rollerman

Just curious if anybody here on Red Square has a boat for family rec.?

Wife and I have been looking....figure sale the big "Quad" & buy boat for family to enjoy.

I grew up on the water & miss it.

Hope to find a clean used deckboat or open bow with enough power for some adults & pull kds skiing/tubeing.

I know I'm cheap but trying to keep it under $10,000 or less & have seen some real turkey's at the marina's.

Went to look at an 87 Sea Ray Seville 21'er yesterday & was very dissapointed...seller made it sound like it was good as new, email pics looked good to...must have been "glamore" shots.

Boat was alright boat plywood in floor was soft & seats were torn up.

Gonna look at some deckboats today.

So curious if anybody boats & wants to let me in on anything I need to look out for that isn't obvious?

Thanks, Stephen in northern IN......hopeing to find are "gem" on the water.

nylyon

I owned a couple of boats over a span of about 10 years. The first one was a 15' Bayliner with a 50 hp outboard on it. It was a great boat for putting around, but fell short when trying to do any type of water sport. The second was a 19' Ski boat with a 340HP Ford inboard. That boat would pull 6 barefoot skiers, but the top speed was only 50 mph. I sold the boat because I have very young kids and that was way too much boat for them, plus there was no place for them to get out of the sun.

For any boat, the first thing to look at is the fiberglass lamination, being sure that all parts are tight and the fiberglas is still bonded to the plywood. For inboard's check to be sure that the propeller is in good condition and doesn't have any bends. Also that the packing around the prop shaft is tight with little to no leaks. Check for mold under the seats, and that all electrical works fine.

I was single enough to have bought my boats new at the time, so I don't know what to look for in a used boat, but that's what I could think of. I know that Mike (Sparky) just bought a nice boat I am sure that he has his check list of things to look for.

Rollerman

Thanks for the input Karl.

Actually came across an older Chris Craft deck boat today in very good condition considering it's age 85/86.

Was very impressed by the power & speed, have a 220 Mercruiser IO in a 19' hull.

It's not perfect but for the price I think it will be a good start for family boating & should not depriciate much if we decide to invest more into it...ie bigger,better, newer boat down the road.

Stephen in northern IN...still with silly grin from driveing the Chris Craft!

Sparky

Well I'm no expert by any means.

Here in Connecticut you need to watch out for a boat that has spent all or most of its time in salt water. Tell tale signs are corrosion and bottom paint, sometimes refered to as anti-fouling paint.

I have an outboard motor so I needed to check the fluid in the lower unit to see if it had any water. It'll be kinda milky if it does. My last boat was a 40hp outboard and it cost me almost $200 to have it resealed. My new one is a 115hp but the oil was good...WHEW!!. All the floors need to be stepped on to see if it has any rot. That can be a huge job since all the interior needs to be removed and once the old carpet comes up your sure to find a few more spots that are only a season or two away from getting soft. I have seen plenty of boats on e-bay that are stripped out inside and then someone gave up and listed it.

Dont forget the trailer. Mine came with one new tire with a light load rating and an older dry rotted tire with a heavy load rating which is what the trailer needed. I ended up buying 2 new tires with the heavier load rating. While it w3as up on jacks I gave the bearing a check and sure enough one was growling when I spun it by hand so new bearings and races were needed.

Hope this helps some......Mike

PS.. remember B O A T stands for...Break Out Another Thousand :D

Crestliner003.jpg

Rollerman

Thanks Mike...I looked at a Sea Ray last saturday with the wife...had high hopes for it, but the florr was soft & had to be very carefull where I walked!

Seen a Chris Craft Deck boat sunday & that thing flew.very fast...but got a lot of wind in the face & kinda a wet ride on choppy water.

This saturday I'll be looking at a cuddy cabin...so we'll see what happens?

I have time...not rushing into it, but want to look around as much as possible.

The Crestliner looks good to by the way.

Stephen in northern IN...leaves are falling & boat shopping

Rollerman

Have not been posting much here lately....been busy at work.

Fall is always busiest in construction, always have to hurry up & get done before winter.

But thought I'd share a few pics of the boat I bought a few weekends back.

Family & I went out on the lake last sunday & other than the prop being very beat up, she did good.

On plain with 7 people on board I had it up to 35MPH according to the speedo.

Should be a good time next summer, & this winter will keep me busy makeing repairs.

Stephen in northern IN, online shopping for props

P9136651.jpg

boat.jpg

nylyon

Very nice, you'll get much enjoyment out of it. Check your local Marina on the cost to get the prop repaired. I hit a water ski with my boat, when I had it, and a new prop was $499. I was able to get the prop repaired, like new might I add, for $99. Much better deal!

Sparky

I hate to differ with Karl but if you bought a new prop you would have the old one as a spare. Even though we try to be careful theres always the possibility that you might hit something and wipe out the prop(usually real far from yer dock or launch). I never go out without a spare prop and mine can be swapped out in 2 minutes with just a pair of pliers.

Mike......

nylyon

Ok, well how about this then. Buy a new prop and get the old one repaired for a spare :D

Rollerman

Update on the prop problem...

The boat came with 2 props & I think the previous owner used both to sharpen his lawn mower blades.

Both very chewed up, but I will send them into have rebuilt this winter.

The good news...Either one of my neighbors works for a boat company...."Rinker & Starcraft"...anyways one of them brought me home a 17 pitch SS prop today & a new hatch to repair the broken one over my cuddy.

Stephen in northern IN...gonna have to buy a lot of beer for neighbor & mow & plow & vacume leaves..etc,etc