Sign in to follow this  
hotrodmerc

Internet providers

hotrodmerc

I currently have a DSL line and I love it. I am moving from the edge of town to a 22 acre farm. Dial up or satellite are the only 2 options. Who has dial up and what is the best to get. I'll be glad to give up the dsl for the additional property and the peace and quite of the country. Give me your opinions and experiences.

rickv1957

I started with dialup,that was so slow,then I upgaded to satelite,very happy with it,could never go back to dailup,Rick

nylyon

In my opinion home internet service in the following order.

1. FIOS

2. Cable

3. DSL

4. Satellite

5. Tin can's and string

6. Dialup

For dialup, you would need to lookup the providers in your area to see the price. Service is going to be about the same.

hotrodmerc

I see that my thoughts about this are correct.

Sparky

Karl, what is FIOS B) ?

Mike........

Kelly

we had dial up years ago, never never again, We have high speed DSL now, it's as fast as my brothers cable

T-Mo

I have heard Google is coming out with something also - supposed to be a lot faster than DSL.

If you move to where DSL or Cable isn't available, then satellite is okay. I have Hughesnet, but I'm not that thrilled with it. But it sure beats dial-up.

sorekiwi

I'm not really in the boondocks, but I cant get DSL or Cable, and Dish cant do it through my satellite either.

I'm using an air card right now, and its horribly slow.

I think I'll switch back to dial-up. If its going to be slow, it might as well be cheap!!

Redbird

I'v had dial-up as long as I've been online. I have Globalnet.net

Granted you cannot get things "instantly" with the click of the mouse. But, if you don't have to have the info "yesterday"...... $14.95/mo all you can eat......isn't bad when you're on a tight budget. They are national and have tons of #'s in all areas. I started with them when they were a little ISP covering sm parts of the Northeast and operating out of Essex, VT. I have them take the monthly fee directly out of my checkbook and have been with them since 1999

As for tying up the phone line, I have CallWave.com answering for $7.99/mo. It works great!

Birdie B)

kpinnc

In my opinion home internet service in the following order.

1. FIOS

2. Cable

3. DSL

4. Satellite

5. Tin can's and string

6. Dialup

For dialup, you would need to lookup the providers in your area to see the price. Service is going to be about the same.

Being an employee of the phone company, I have to ALMOST agree with Karl. I'd flip #2 and #3, as my company provides Fiber-to-the-home (FTTX) and DSL. Our FTTX services will easily top 50-60 Meg/sec to almost any distance, and our DSL will push 30Meg as well. Cable providers for the most part don't have anything close to that (TWC claims up to 16 Meg for "turbo" Road Runner), but for whatever reason such things aren't discussed.

Cable companies claim their product is 50 times faster than DSL- but what they don't say is that they are using the FCC definition of "broadband services". The FCC says any service that provides 128K (about twice the speed of dialup) is considered broadband. We haven't sold anything that slow in 10 years, but the definition still exists. That's how they get away with the claim. Our services are 5-10 times faster than cable, but we can't say so without making a commercial that causes as many headaches as this post does... B)

OK, I'm finished with my useless plug now.

Kevin

perry

my buddy who lived out in the country had dial-up only. so his wife used to run her internet business threw a black berry. she had it hooked to the PC. i dont know all the details.

hotrodmerc

I believe I am going to go to Net Zero and give it a try. If I am not happy I may need to go to sattelite.