Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

FreeCycle

nylyon

There are numerous groups in Yahoo dedicated to a recycling of unwanted items. These groups are "Freecycle" and are probably in your area. Do a search in Yahoo for Freecycle and your town, county, or nearby towns. It is really a great community. So far I have given away several items which my kids have out grown and received:

Go-Kart

Computer - a good IBM model too, 19" Sony Monitor, new hard disk etc.

Orbital exercise machine (like new)

And have seen complete tractors lawn equipment one of them was 1 year old the owner moved to a condo and had to get rid of it quick, hand tools, power tools you name it. It is also great for getting rid of some of things you no longer need but are too good to give away. I have even seen a couple of cars and some pickup trucks and recently a Suzuki Motorcycle.

Worth a shot!

T-Mo

I belong to a few "Freecycle Groups", but I have had better success with Craig's List so far. Not only for "free" things, but I sold a few things through Craig's list as well as bought some. I found my '79 JD 210 on the Craig's list "Free" site.

nylyon

I was too busy this weekend to jump on some of our free cycle items which went. First was a Jet Ski body in excellent condition needs tuneup **FREE** I was too late. :D

Next on the list of missed items was a Snow Blower. Ran last season, wouldn't start this year, guy just wants it gone. Again too late: :P

Next we have a push 6.5HP leaf blower. Now I've been wanting one of these for quite some time now. You guessed it: Too late: :(

And finally, what is described as a "very old" lawn tractor with bagger and cart. No brand associated with this one. But, guess what? I pick it up Thursday :( First free tractor :(

T-Mo

So, what brand is the "freebie" lawn tractor?

I picked up a '79 JD 210 free from Craig's list back in May '07. It had a busted rear axle, but ran fine. I only spend about $50 to fix the busted axle. It has a recently rebuilt (2 years) engine in it and runs real good. I thinking of selling it or trading it as I have way too many tractors already.

I also picked up 2 JD rear engine riders (rer's) a couple of years ago and sold them for $125 after getting one of them to run. I also picked up a free JD STX46 that had no hood. I got it running and thinking of selling it.

And I have a "free" WH 753 if I go down to Arkansas to get it.

I haven't use Freecycle much if at all.

nylyon

I had asked, and she didn't know. I found it in Connecticut (of course) and that area had a good WH dealer as well as some JD dealers, so I have my fingers crossed. My plan is to get it running and see if I can make a couple of bucks. Hey, if it's old someone will want it more than me.

CasualObserver

I tried to join my local Rochester MN FreeCycle... they denied me.:P get this... because I live in Kasson... 13 miles from Rochester city limits. :D The answer I got to why not was

the decision was made, (along with most groups worldwide), to use a residency requirement. Free recycling groups are proliferating at a phenomenal rate, and keeping groups local helps neighboring groups have a chance at getting a local foothold.

Evidently 13 miles isn't "local" enough... Whoever the owner is, is some sort of residency nazi who refuses to let anyone join who doesn't live precisely in the city limits of Rochester. what a joke. Doesn't sound very much in the spirit of the group to me. :(

T-Mo

I tried to join my local Rochester MN FreeCycle... they denied me.:P get this... because I live in Kasson... 13 miles from Rochester city limits. :D The answer I got to why not was

Evidently 13 miles isn't "local" enough... Whoever the owner is, is some sort of residency nazi who refuses to let anyone join who doesn't live precisely in the city limits of Rochester. what a joke. Doesn't sound very much in the spirit of the group to me. :(

I agree. I do belong to several Freecycle groups. Local and as far away as 30-40 miles. I guess it depends on the group owner who can join what.

nylyon

That's silly the whole intention is to keep things out of the landfills. Most of the items given are furniture, and other household items and sometimes they are not able to give them away. I belong to 2 of them, my "local" one which covers the entire county, and the neighboring town of Danbury CT. Those Connecticut guys have the good stuff to give away :D

Sparky

Allright karl! I'm gonna have to notify the authorities about all the tractor dealings your gittin involved with in Connecticut! This state line crossing stuff has to come to an end or I'll never git another tractor locally.

Mike...just got a 656 last week :D (dont tell Karl)

nylyon

Well yer gonna get the standard "Karlism" here. Where's the pictures?

Sparky

I got it at night and rolled it (no motor) into the shed and it has'nt come out since. If I get a chance this weekend I'll take it out for a couple of pics. I'm kicking my butt about not buying a Honda 6hp yank start motor at the Kent show the other weekend. A guy had 3 of em for $125 when I got there and dropped to $95 when I was leaving, but I had no use for one at that time so I decided to pass :D . Just my luck as a small honda motor would be just the ticket for a short frame.

Mike......

CasualObserver

I responded to the email from the group owner with

Not being "neighborly" to someone 13 miles away doesn't sound very much in the spirit of the group to me.

I haven't heard anything back. This guy's a real jackass. :P I agree with you Karl, I thought the point was to be a helping community, and bring your area together to keep trash that can be re-used by someone else from going into the trash. Oh well. :D

nylyon
Allright karl! I'm gonna have to notify the authorities about all the tractor dealings your gittin involved with in Connecticut! This state line crossing stuff has to come to an end or I'll never git another tractor locally.

Curmudgeon

A, yes, Wheel Horses can be broken. Been there, done that, and they were a lot younger than 40.......

and 2, $20 is STEALING! Somebody will buy that, then sell the tranny for $100, the engine for another $100, $25 for the rear wheels............ take the rest to scrap yard and recoup the original $20 on scrap steal!!!!

The only dang thing I ever see on Freecycle is baby clothes.....................

Dale, :D