Sign in to follow this  
Mith

Ian, Wes, what do you know about road registering?

Mith

I want to road register my digger (or one of the other tractors at least), not too sure where to start.

My DL only allows me to tow up to a certain weight unless I take an additional test, and if the tractor is 'a bit muddy' it will exceed that weight

From what I have read, it falls under the 'seriously modified' category (no surprises there) and in the eyes of the DVLA has 'no identity' (serial number long gone).

I'd like to register as an AG vehicle, it doesnt go over 25mph, and I dont need to go more than 5 miles from home (heck, it'd take me an hour to go that far at full chat). Free tax for ag vehicles, and I can insure cheaper through NFU or something.

Any thoughts? Who to email etc.

Cheers

Stigian

I like your thinking Jim :thumbs:

I dont have a clue on registering something for agriculturel use im afraid,

But i did once see a Wheel Horse on ebay that had been registered as a disabled carrage :thumbs:

Mith

:thumbs: I think I'll struggle to convince them its 'just to help me get around' :thumbs:

"Yea, the loader helps with the shopping" :D

Stigian

Just think of the pallet of beer you could bring back on the forks :thumbs::D

Might as well take a trailer to load up while your there :thumbs:

wesley

Hi mith , it can be done ok , ring your local dvla not the wales one , take it down there on a trailer , so they can se what it is , fill in the forms they may even send them to you before you go, after that they will give you a Q plate rated arg , as for tax , you can drive within 5 miles of your place without road tax, insurance will be

Stigian

I guess they have a few regulations about lights, brakes, that sort of thing :thumbs:

wesley

They like lights etc but hand signels are ok on a tractor , as for brakes there no test on tractotrs as long as it stops , but they dont check that any way, most farm tractors on the road would never pass any test lol .

wes

wesley

Been thinking mith , if you are not going to work that far from home , why not buy an old fergy or fordson, you can then put the horse on a trailer , you can tow ok with your licence then, classic tractors dont come in to the new towing rules with your type of licence, more for you to think about.

wes

Mith

Cheers Wes, I'll give them a ring, or maybe drop them an email with a picture.

I do actually need to road tax register it, its just free for ag tax. the problem is getting a V5 for it as it isnt already registered, and isnt a machine that was road legal when it was manufactured.

Interesting thought on the agricultural towing vehicle. Might be cheaper in the long run to buy a ready registered machine.

wesley

Well thats what l would do , get an old tractor and tow the horse, you will love it, been there and done it , if it was for the legs would still be at it, even the 4X4 boys get out the way of a tractor lol, if l can ever help then shout mate .

wes

Mith

Wes,

y'know, I just opened up the local newspaper, and in the AG section, what do I see, but an advert for 2 Fordson tractors. :thumbs:

I'll phone them later on, fingers crossed atleast one will be road registered and they dont want a fortune for them.

Mith

Phoned him. Both are GWO, one with loader, the other with mid mower.

I'm second in line, if the guy first in line doesnt have them I think I might go for them. You'd think 10 garden tractors would be enough on 2/3 acre, but maybe there is room for these too :thumbs:

combatmp29r

OK this may be one of those dumb american questions guys but whats GWO????? :thumbs:

Mith

Good working order :thumbs:

nylyon

There's a TLA for everything now adays!

wesley

Joel GWO means good working order, now mith you go for for it , have them both if you can, boy what a dream they are to work on , and whatever you pay for them , you will double your money within 2 years , a fully restored one has just sold not far from me for

Mith

Wes, trust me, if the other guy passes on them I wont let them slip by. He told me what he wants for the pair of them, and I think its very reasonable.

I have a feeling that the other guy may buy them, but I can only hope.

combatmp29r

Hmmm heres my sign :imstupid: . You would think with all the acronims we use in the Army I would have got that one.

Jim_M

Even though your tractors across the pond are the same brand as ours and look pretty much the same, I've learned there are some big differences.

My first time over to Ireland, I was driving down one of their narrow country roads and noticed a tractor pulling a trailer full of rocks ahead of me. I let off the throttle and started coasting, because I was sure I would run up on him pretty quick. When I got down to about 35mph, I realized he was pulling away from me! I accelerated enough to get up behind him and followed for a little bit before passing. It was a Massey Ferguson 35 diesel and he was running 45 mph pulling a trailer with at least 3 tons of rocks in it!

Over here that tractor would have a top speed of 20-25 mph. Most likely would not have a cab, turn signals, brake lights, and a front an rear license plate!

I saw those little fergusons everywhere I went over there, one time I even saw one going down the road with what looked like the whole family piled in the cab.

I also saw them sitting in front of rural pubs on more than one occasion!

Stigian

The little Fergie tractors are much loved over here, most farms have at least 1 or 2 about the place :thumbs:

Jim_M

One of my Irish friends told me that not long ago it wasn't unusual for a farmer over there to not own a car or truck, only a tractor, and it would be used for evrything from pulling a manure wagon to driving to church.

Their economy is doing very well now, so I'm guessing that's probably a rare case now.