Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

What oil R U Guys using in your Trucks??

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

I'm picking up my "new" pickup tonight (2007 CHevy with 6.0 gas and 37000 mi) and wonder if I should follow the manufacturers recomendation for 5-30 oil. I'm pretty sure I am going to put Mobil 1 in it (or Rotella T...) :notworthy: but having been around plenty of Chevy motors I think that the 5-30 is awful thin and is simply recomended as an "energy conserving" mileage thing. What are you guys using and would I be OK with a 10-40 for year round use in a daily driver/weekend hauler.

Thanks!!

Tony

dscott2000

Hello All,

I'm picking up my "new" pickup tonight (2007 CHevy with 6.0 gas and 37000 mi) and wonder if I should follow the manufacturers recomendation for 5-30 oil. I'm pretty sure I am going to put Mobil 1 in it (or Rotella T...) :notworthy: but having been around plenty of Chevy motors I think that the 5-30 is awful thin and is simply recomended as an "energy conserving" mileage thing. What are you guys using and would I be OK with a 10-40 for year round use in a daily driver/weekend hauler.

Thanks!!

Tony

A buddy of mine has the same engine in his truck and he uses 10w-30 Quaker State 4x4 synthetic in his. Its a little pricey for me but, he swears by it.

Coadster32

I use castrol syntec blend 5-30W in all my vehicles. (even tractors). I don't drive anything long enough to worry about extra wear. The synthetic in there should take care of that anyhow. Pretty darn easy just to have one oil in the garage anyhow.

Save Old Iron

Tony,

You may also want to consider the climate you are in.

If you experience a significant number of below zero days as we do in upstate NY,

the 5w30 may make more sense to prevent "startup wear" on the engine.

The heavier weight oil would take longer to start circulating thru the engine in colder temps.

From everything I've read, 90% or more of engine wear happens in the first few seconds after you start the engine.

Sarge

The newer generation of automotive engines are designed with much tighter tolerances for fuel saving. If you exceed the OEM's oil weight recommendations you risk running lower volumes of oil in critical parts-this affects cooling more than anything. I've seen Japanese/Domestic cams that were nearly purple from too much heat on the bearing journals, same with the crankshafts. Newer engines also use much tighter fitting rings, it you don't use the lighter oil they run hot and can get plugged with carbon resulting in loss of compression.

That 6.0L Chevy is a fairly picky engine, I'd stick with the 5w30 if they recommend it.

Sarge

Confused99

5w-30 in my work truck with 177k on the ticker, runs strong and doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Jason