Sign in to follow this  
kajamo240

Anyone know anything about propane?

kajamo240

Hoping someone here knows a little something about LP...

I replaced my furnace a couple of years ago and I still have the old one that was removed. It works just fine and I am now looking to install it in my garage.

My house was heated with propane so there wont need to be a conversion made, I am just looking at how I could attach it to a standard 100lb propane tank instead of the 500 gallon one.

How much of a PSI regulator would I need for it to run efficiently? Is it furnace specific?

How would you recommend I attach it to the furnace? Rubber or copper piping...?

can whlvr

you could look at the reg on the 500lb tank and try to match it,then use braided stainless lines and a reducer at the furnace,i recomend using the same set up that was on the furnace at the gas inlet,that being a shut off and a dirt catch which is a three inch nipple and a cap ,up here in ontario you could buy every thing at home depot,and dont forget that the colder outside the pressure in the tank will drop,but for casual use it will work.PLEASE SOAP TEST AFTER INSTALTION and accept 0 leaks,propane is heavier than air so it posses great problems when leaks are present,and keep the 100 lb tank outside in a ventilated area.

big mike

I ran my shop heat like you are talking until I could get a 500 gallon tank set.I bought a regulator from the propane supplier and used flared copper tubing.The regulator is the same one you would use on a gas grill.When you buy the regulator you should be able to get a short rubber(propane grade)hose so you do not work harden the copper when you change tanks.

I second the need to leak check and also install a shut off valve near the furnace so you do not have to rely on the tank valve to shut it off if you need to.

You WILL be running the gas line through the wall won't you......yes,please do.

You really don't want that much flammable gas inside your garage.

KyBlue

I dunno about using them for their intended purpose...but 100# Tanks make great grills, with a bit of modification...

kajamo240

can whlvr:

I dont remember seeing a dirt catch when I removed the furnace. Is this something that would come with a shut off valve or is this some thing that I would need to make?

When trying to prevent leaks, is Teflon tape the best to use when connecting to the furnace?

and keep the 100 lb tank outside in a ventilated area.

You WILL be running the gas line through the wall won't you......yes,please do.

Yes, the tank will be set outside behind my garage for my dogs to mark it as their territory. My garage isn't currently insulated to going through the wall will be an easy chore.

I second the need to leak check and also install a shut off valve near the furnace so you do not have to rely on the tank valve to shut it off if you need to.

I never thought about having the second shut off valve AT the furnace. That is a pretty good idea as a backup plan is always good to have!

I am thinking that I will have steel piping coming off of the furnance and then going to a rubber hose out to the propane tank. Propane rated of course!

Gerry w

When I was installing piping to homes for heaters etc. I would use good quality pipe dope instead of tape, tape will, over time, get "eaten" by gas. In your situation I would consider the dope 1st. Just my 2 cents worth. Hard pipe it to just within 1 to 2 ft. from the unit, then shut off and dirt catch, sometimes install a "step-down" regulator at that point as well.

Check EVERYWHERE for leaks, once hooked up check again in two days time, and then a week, then a month.

kajamo240

I guess that I am not familiar with a dirt catch or a step down regulator.

I am guessing that a dirt catch is some sort of screen that more or less filters the propane so that no dirt/sand get through into the furnace but what do you mean by a step down regulator?

bustedglass

I too use propane to heat with. Because propane is very dangerous, I would call your local propane supplier to do the initial hook-up. They can supply you with all the "RIGHT" parts needed, and hook it up for you. It might cost a little more in the beginning than you were looking to spend. But beleive me, in the long run, it is money well, and wisely spent.

That is what I did. Just my .02 :scratchead:

can whlvr

sorry i couldnt get back to you right away,the dirt catch is a tee made out of black iron pipe,the t goes into the valve into the furnace,at the bottem of the t is a 3 inch nipple and a cap,this allows any thing in the line to drop donw into the 3 inch pipe instead of entering the valve,this is where the shutoff valve is located juhave a gas furnace take a look at it and you you st before the tee.ifwill see what i mean.