Sign in to follow this  
hodge

Anybody running Stihl chainsaws?

hodge

My first chainsaw was a Husqvarna 357, which was a fine machine. But, I did not like the way the company was going- the only place in our area selling them, or parts, is Lowes and Tractor Supply. So, I decided to switch to Stihl. I bought a MS 390, and love it.

The other day, I had run into the local Ace Hardware to get a small part, and left with a 660. The story- someone bought it new as a backup saw for a logging outfit. Somebody grabbed it, and put straight gas in it. Ace bought it back for a small price, and sold them another one. Hopefully with clearer instructions. They bought all new parts, and rebuilt the engine. The saw looks new still- it was sitting on the shelf beside a brand new one, and you couldn't even tell that it had been used, other than gas in the tank. I got it for half the price of a new one, with a years warranty.

I did not get taken. Other than the history of it, it is a brand new saw. It runs excellent, looks as new as my 390, and is a powerhouse- 7 horsepower. We cut a lot of wood, and although I have never needed a saw this big, it will be nice to work up larger stuff, instead of pushing the 390 real hard. I could sell it tomorrow on Ebay, based on 6 others I saw being auctioned, and make a little money. I think I will hold on to it, though. I am just about as proud and enamoured as I am with my horses. Now if they would just make them red...

bitten

I have been useing Stihl products for many years and think they make great stuff. I have 4 saws, weed wacker and a gas hedge trimmer. Had a husky years ago and wasnt all that impresed with it.

In my book Stihl is the only way to go.

P.J.

baerpath

We have Stihls (4) chainsaws and a Stihl weed wacker. I do have an old Homlite 550 with a 48 inch bar just in case I ever find any large trees :scratchead:

Duane

T-Mo

I have a Stihl saw and a Stihl trimmer. I had another Stihl saw until it came up missing a few months back. Stihl makes good stuff.

Indy w h

I used Stihl saws for many years, thought they were good saws until

I couldn't get parts for my 041. Went to a buddies place were he had

a dolmar saw from the sachs- dolmar logger days and I tried his saw

out and now I think they'll cut circles around stihl saws anyday of the

week!!!! I have an outdoor boiler (central boiler) that loves to burn-up

wood so ya gotta have a dependable saw to keep the house warm. So

if ya want a real saw try a DOLMAR and kick the stihl to the curb!!

DOLMAR ps 9010

30" bar

Windsor skip tooth chain

logger grade :hide::scratchead:

Stihl :ychain:

baerpath

I guess everyone has there favorites.

I made a mistake and bought one of those dolmars, biggest peice of crap I ever owned You can have it if you swim good :scratchead: It's in the pond

Duane

rockbuilt

Don't know about the last few years but I used a lot of different chain saws while building retaining walls for a living. the truth is there are a lot of good saws out there I have found the Sthil to be probably the best all around saw durable smooth operating and long lasting some other saws seem to cut faster but not better for my money it's sthil every time

hodge

I had never had a moments trouble out of my Husqvarna, and I had (my son has it now) a Husqvarna weedeater, also. No trouble there. But, the dealers went away, so parts are tough to find. And, the new stuff they make is junk in my book. So, what sold me on Stihl, besides reputation, was the fact that they only sell through certified dealers (read; no big box stores will get their products), that there are at least 4 dealers in my immediate area, and that they will be around for some time.

I know that there are other good saws out there. Honestly, my 390 is no more saw than the Husky 257 was. But, I can get parts readily. And, even among pros, it appears that Stihl has the largest base of fans and users. There are even collectors out there, as fanatical as we are about horses.

Horse Fanatic

Be careful with Husquvarna's, many of the ones for sale at big box stores are actually orange Poulons.

I do small engine repair, in my opinion, the best saws are Stihl, the good Husky's, Dolmar/Makita and Jonesred.

whfan74

I have an Echo which has been a very good reliable saw. Dad runs a Stihl and loves it. Has plenty of torque and doesn't seem to be intimidated with whatever it comes up against.

Of course the deal on my Echo was too hard to pass up but if I had my choice I would have a Stihl........but for the amount of work I do with a saw the Echo takes care of me real well.

can whlvr

I have run stihls for years and i also have 2 concrete saws as well as a whipper snipper and an o36 chainsaw,in my opinion stihl is the only way to go,you can get parts anywhere,and they dont sell them at big box stores.

Duff

I've had a Stihl 025C for several years now and couldn't ask for a better saw. Turns out the local dealer is also a Toro dealer, so parts runs are pretty easy!

Duff :scratchead:

red rider-46

To Indy w h

I was a Wheel Horse, Toro, Stihl dealer back in the day. On the 041 Stihl that saw was popular back in the early 70's a saw that is that old probably ought to be put on a stand and worshiped. It was replaced probably by two or three newer models. I think that there are still parts out there at old dealers. If the old Wheel Horse dealers have NOS parts in stock then so should the Stihl dealers. Check around. When somebody asks what the best saw is, I say the brand that you can get parts for when something breaks. Just remember these things run at between 12,000 to 13'000 RPM they wear out.

red rider-46

TT

Although I don't personally own a Stihl saw, we do have two at work; an 036QS and an MS290. Considering the fact that they let most anyone with a pulse operate them ( :scratchead: ) they seem to take it rather well - but I am constantly sharpening chains.

We also have 2 Stihl backpack blowers, one hand-held blower, and four trimmers that are used hard and heavily during the "season". They're all operator (and mechanic) friendly and very reliable but do have a few parts made of gold. :hide:

This is one of my saws:

David Bradley / Sears 917.60029

DBsaw003.jpg

The other:

$40 Husqvarna 257

081409006.jpg

can whlvr

i too have a husquvarna,238se,it was a piece of crap from the minite i bought it brand new,tried to get the dealer to take it back but they would not,i have a friend that cuts trees for a livimg and wouldnt use anything but a husquavarna,too each there own,this dolmar saw isnt very popular up here in canada,STIHL is #1 up here,my wheelhorse dealer is a stihl dealer also,and my local rental shop also,so parts are plentiful.

kpinnc

I have owned many different brands of blowers, trimmers, and a few chain saws. I've had my Stihl straight-shaft trimmer for over 10 years, and it still cranks on the second pull, runs like a champ, and has NEVER had a single part replaced. I will never buy another brand unless Stihl goes to that big box store in the sky...

I also recently bought a Stihl MS260 Pro saw, and I love the thing. I'm not a fan of the larger saws (I hate having to carry the the darn things in the woods), as an 18-20 inch bar and enough saw to carry it has always seemed good enough. I heat with wood, so my saw always gets worked pretty hard. The MS260 hasn't bit into anything yet it couldn't handle. Did I mention I LOVE that saw? :scratchead:

I also have an old Poulan, and it has been a decent saw as well. Again, it is an older model with no vibration dampening or any other gizmos- which means if you use for anything more than trimming laps you can't feel your arms after 15 minutes- but it makes for a good "emergency back-up" saw when it absolutely HAS to be used.

A couple buddies of mine are Husky fans, but all of their saws are older ones. The newer models seem to lack for them as well.

Kevin

Indy w h

Hey red,

I've got a stihl dealer 30 minutes from my house and a dolmar dealer about an

hour and a half awayfrom me. I don't go to the stihl dealer because he's a liar

tried to tell me my inner case was broke when the top handle holder snapped

in two pieces. I then went to stihls oldest dealer (he was 90 years old at the time)

told him what the deal was he walked over to his parts bin and handed me the new

piece for 13$. It's pretty bad when a "dealer" tries to sell you a new saw for600$

but it can be fixed for 13$ WTF. That's why I get a bad taste in my mouth for stihl

they don't wanna fix ur saw they want to sell you a new saw. Not me , I drive the

hour and a half to the dolmar dealer to get whatever I need that's broke not to hear

"oh that's unrepairable here's a new saw over here on the shelf". I'll give stihl some

credit I use there bar oil and gas mix but that's the only business they get from me!!

So you can use a stihl,but I'll use a dolmar.

Thanks Indy

hodge

Indy and Red,

Stop the bickering. You are welcome to your opinions, but no one wants to hear this type of stuff, especially when this post was not intended to bash any other brands, but to simply see who runs Stihl equipment. Anybody can have a bad experience with a piece of equipment, and there are bad dealers out there. For every brand. So, like momma always said, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

TT, that is what I had, and my 257 sold for $250.00. The old Husqvarna equipment was good- my dad still runs one, and it cuts as well as his new 441 magnum.

nylyon

Thank you Hodge. Let's not make this personal guys.

I have a Stihl as well, it's the lower model, but it was FREE! I like it a lot better than my old McCulloch

linen beige

Anybody can have a bad experience with a piece of equipment, and there are bad dealers out there. For every brand.

:scratchead:

As a case in point.. In 2003 there was a very bad ice storm here. My dad's old worn out Homelight wouldn't start so he hacked his way through downed limbs, went into town and bought a brand new Stihl (I don't know which model). He used it less than five minutes before it pretty much exploded in his hands. He took it back into town and they gave him another one. He has put hundreds of hours on it without issue.

hodge

I'll hijack my own thread- the exception, by my estimation, is that I have never personally witnessed someone bash on a Wheel Horse. I am sure that at some point even they had issues, but I would wager that they had far fewer than most.

whfan74

Interesting thread concerning many different topics.

Indy.........sorry you have run across a bad experience with a bad dealer. Of course everyone out there (dealers) are trying to make a buck, unfortunately some try to do it at the cost of others.

I am glad that you enjoy your type of saw and you have good service. Honestly this is always one of the most important things I look for when buying something new. If I can read between the lines, you didn't have a problem with the saw just with the dealer. If I ever run in to that problem I would contact the manufacturer directly. They never want to hear of their equipment or service of equipment being misguided by dealers they try to put their trust in. I am sure they would be more than happy to remedy your situation.

There are many great types of equipment out there........of course if things are being worked they are going to break. We all wouldn't be in this hobby if that wasn't the case.

Indy w h

Just thought I'd say that I'm sorry for stepping on so many

"stihl toes". Carry on with your topic. I don't wanna burn the

thread!!

Indy. :scratchead: