Jump to content
Racinbob

Summer Project

Recommended Posts

 
ri702bill

Excellent work! Glad to see you used the joist tape too. I do see some blocking between the joists in the joists between the door and window - did you add blocking thruout? It makes a huge difference in lateral rigidity. I finished redoing the large country L shaped porch last year at my rental. The 3/4" T&G fir decking was rotted, as were a couple of joists in the corner. It had perimeter framing in sections, no blocking and no footings in the middle of the runs. It was rather springy when it was in good condition 50 years ago! I did both, along with doubling up the joists above the footing supports in front of the doors, I figured that was where the max loading and traffic would be - moving appliances in and out and such. Rock solid now.

 

976465190_Deck1.jpeg.8172442869212989d4e9df854ecaeaed.jpeg

  • Excellent 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Racinbob

That's Fastenmaster deck frame coating. It flows into the old screw holes, cracks and crevasses real nice. The blocking you see is where I laddered back from each post allowing a board to run from the post to the house. It is purely cosmedic and blends with the perimeter non-grooved board. With no more span than there is and 12" o/c additional blocking wasn't needed and it's rock solid. 

I've done a tremendous amount of decking over the years but this was the first time I've used composite. It's the same as using treated yet entirely different in ways. There's things I'd do different and mistakes along the way that shouldn't happen when I do the deck in the back next summer. The important thing is that I got an atta-boy and a grin from the boss lady. :D

 

I've got the winter to think about that project. I think the hardest part might be getting that structure off the deck. Ideally it should be moved but I just don't see that happening. Most likely it will be piece by piece into a dumpster.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
953 nut

The deck looks great Bob.

I can't do heavy work like that any more so I got bids for replacing the old PT decking with Trex. An inspection of the framing reveled some serious degradation of the majority of the joists so we had the deck removed and a paver patio put in, love it. The deck dominated our small back yard and the patio allows us to enjoy  the deer and other critters that come through.

  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Racinbob

I hear that Richard. I'm fortunate that I can still do some fairly heavy work but not a hard days heavy work. More like a hard half day. :rolleyes:

 

Concrete might be an option for us in the back. My wife like that idea but I'm on the fence. The nice thing about it is that I wouldn't do the concrete and could sit looking out the window like the dog at the workers. That still leaves the tear out. That house window directly behind the structure is the family room. It blocks the view. :sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
953 nut

A lot of decisions to be made. If it is practical, the screen room could be moved behind the garage, it looks like a keeper to me.

We had a small covered porch that will accommodate a couple of chairs before I built the deck and we kept that. Bering at floor level I can go to the porch with my walker and go down two steps to the patio.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ri702bill

The word on the street is that Trex or any of the composites require you to seal any cut ends because they are basically plastic coated compressed glued sawdust on the inside...

Why not move the offending structure over to be in front of the two garage windows instead? A screened in sun room is a nice feature during the summer... a comfortable living space on the inside, bugs on the outside...

I did not see an outdoor gas grill in back - a word of caution if you have one on a Trex surface. Grease drippings from the grill that land on the decking will leave stubborn, almost non removable stains. Home stores sell a containment tray that the grill sits on - it looks like an oversized boot tray.

953 types faster than I do......

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Racinbob
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

A lot of decisions to be made. If it is practical, the screen room could be moved behind the garage, it looks like a keeper to me.

We had a small covered porch that will accommodate a couple of chairs before I built the deck and we kept that. Bering at floor level I can go to the porch with my walker and go down two steps to the patio.

 

1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

The word on the street is that Trex or any of the composites require you to seal any cut ends because they are basically plastic coated compressed glued sawdust on the inside...

Why not move the offending structure over to be in front of the two garage windows instead? A screened in sun room is a nice feature during the summer... a comfortable living space on the inside, bugs on the outside...

I did not see an outdoor gas grill in back - a word of caution if you have one on a Trex surface. Grease drippings from the grill that land on the decking will leave stubborn, almost non removable stains. Home stores sell a containment tray that the grill sits on - it looks like an oversized boot tray.

953 types faster than I do......

 

That wasn't a good picture of that structure. It was from the realtor shots years ago. Here's a current shot.

 

Back_of_House_100926.jpg.05243de89b714f546e3f34db3d815c4e.jpg

 

Those two smaller windows are at the kitchen sink. The door to the right of them goes into a mud/laundry room. The garage starts just to the right of that door. The far right door does go in the garage. The fenced area is to keep the abundant coyote population away from our little fur babies. The structure was screened in but the screen was a mess. I just removed it all. We no longer even have an outdoor grill. My wife has a countertop gizmo that does just as good for the two of us. We have put a smoker in the room now and then. It does sit on a special mat. The bottom line is that we just want it gone. We don't use it. It is a decent structure Richard. Ideally we find somebody that has the means to move it to another property. At 12' x 12' moving it down the road would be an issue. I can't help but think it's doomed for destruction and a dumpster.  

 

That's the first I've heard of sealing the ends on composite decking. Over last winter I gathered 10-12 samples and literature packs of all flavors of decking. Talked to countless contractors and sales people and watched a gazillion videos. I can't say it wouldn't be a good idea but it was never mentioned. :dunno:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine

Nicely done! 

 

We're planning on adding a small mud room to the front and replacing the side deck next spring. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...