953 nut 69,222 #1 Posted 4 hours ago October 8, 1956, the nation’s first fully enclosed, climate-controlled shopping mall opens in a Minneapolis suburb. Southdale Mall, located in Edina, Minnesota, was created to lure shoppers during frigid winters. Southdale Mall opened with 72 tenants. The $20 million, 80,000-square-foot mall included a skating rink, a giant bird cage and a post office. The complex also included an auto showroom, a playground and a grocery store. 2 1 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ri702bill 13,026 #3 Posted 3 hours ago 25 minutes ago, 953 nut said: fully enclosed, climate-controlled shopping mall Silly me, I thought that AC would have been the big draw.... 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,222 #4 Posted 3 hours ago 4 minutes ago, ri702bill said: Silly me, I thought that AC would have been the big draw.... No, that would be the Aventura Mill north of Miami, FL. It has 2.8 million square feet of airconditioned space. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,471 #5 Posted 41 minutes ago 3 hours ago, 953 nut said: 2.8 million square feet of airconditioned space. Where does it dump the heat? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,680 #6 Posted 35 minutes ago 5 minutes ago, Handy Don said: Where does it dump the heat? The rest of Florida ... 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,222 #7 Posted 35 minutes ago 2 minutes ago, Handy Don said: Where does it dump the heat? Ultimately the heat went back to the power plant where I worked south of Miami. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,471 #8 Posted 29 minutes ago 3 minutes ago, 953 nut said: Ultimately the heat went back to the power plant where I worked south of Miami. Fluid circulation? Over what distance? More info please! I know of many cities that pipe steam or hot water but I’ve not heard of this for air conditioning. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites