Jump to content
ebinmaine

Camper cover building construction thread

Recommended Posts

ebinmaine

In October of 2025 we bought ourselves a new camper. Smallest least expensive model we could get and yet still more than we needed in features. 

We had it tarp covered last winter and always intended to build a hard sided structure. Both Trina and I are firm believers that campers (and many other things) should be protected from the sun and precipitation as often as possible. 

 

After waiting patiently for about 10 months to get an excavator here for site prep, we're finally ready to get our part of the building process going.  

 

The camper living space box is approximately 13' long by 8' wide. 

Add the hitch and we need a 16' minimum storage length.  

 

After a fair bit of reading and searching we decided on this metal framed unit for the beginning of the structure.  

At 14' x 20' this will be more than large enough for the camper trailer and several extras. Other pieces of equipment and tools will also be stored here.  

 

 

1948686184_Screenshot_20261004_155127_Chrome2.jpg.1138f265a179343d1a89d3ff904d104a.jpg1740935254_Screenshot_20261004_155141_Chrome2.jpg.7e3c739024ab3e277444dc5d5a9ba00a.jpg

 

 

Once the above pictured structure is built we'll add the rest of the metal to fully enclose it. There will be large doors both front and rear. 

 

 

Here's a few pics showing the proposed location of the new camper cover building.

This would allow us to drive a tractor out the back side of the building because it's about 8' from the drop off by the trees. 

It would also allow us to drive a tractor along the right side of the building and be able to use the ramp our excavator operator left for us.

That ramp is to the right of the 3 trees at pic center, and curls around to the left and behind them.  

 

This pic shows proximity to the house. 

20261004_112421.jpg.a80ec68c0a268b98adc072e31e43f849.jpg

 

Better zoom. 

209353980_20261004_1124213.jpg.b9d2f619eb63af7d5e45779d8e5f0003.jpg

 

The openings of the ends are 14.3' according to the online pics.  20 foot front to rear. 14.8' to top middle peak. 

20261004_112444.jpg.b1f16ae470890078832cf13f371acaf7.jpg

 

The blue flags are for the Code Enforcement Officer to see so he knows we actually measured. Not guessed. 

75 feet is the minimum amount of setback. We'll have about 79' to the angled support leg closest to the road. 

20261004_112444~2.jpg.d003e7d58d6280d2396c6829b51b2709.jpg

 

 

Today I ordered a set of 16 mobile home anchors. These are USA 🇺🇸 MADE.

30" depth with a 4" round fan width. 

By the chart I found we should use 12 of them for a 130 MPH wind resistance. If we get a realistic half that it'll be fine.  

 

 

1209387207_Screenshot_20261004_160049_eBay2.jpg.9875f16e9f571b06c2481ff5cd161b36.jpg

 

 

 

One big thing to figure out will be how to open the front for the full 14' wide and 13 ish foot tall door. 

 

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Excellent 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ri702bill

Eric - are you planning to do a concrete pad for the frame and trailer to sit on? A very small amount of pitch - 3/16" per foot would suffice for the inner portion...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Eric - are you planning to do a concrete pad for the frame and trailer to sit on? A very small amount of pitch - 3/16" per foot would suffice for the inner portion...

 

 

At a later date it's possible. Not in the initial build. 

There is plenty of drainage for water runoff and melting snow in the current base of rocks/sand/gravel.  

 

It would be great to have the stability of a concrete area once the new aggregate is settled. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8ntruck

What are you going to run the anchors into? The new fill? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

What are you going to run the anchors into? The new fill? 

 

Yes. No other option.  

We really don't have serious issues with wind damage. 

(Knock on wood)

 

After reading multiple online posts I believe we should not have a heavy duty post attachment point that goes below the standard frost line. Our frost line is between 36" and 48".

It seems the mobility of the frost creates a break point. With that in mind I decided to go with the 30" depth anchors. 

  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: Hopefully, the auger pitch will find its way between the stones.

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 8ntruck said:

:text-yeahthat: Hopefully, the auger pitch will find its way between the stones.

 

On one side it'll be fine. There's several feet of new fill on the left/downhill side. 

 

On the upward/right side.... we shall see.  

:handgestures-fingerscrossed:

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Beap52

I am in total agreement with you two on keeping a roof over stuff.  If it's got wheels and tires, I want it under cover. 

 

When our kids had a carport installed.  I laid 2x6 treated wood under the runners.  I felt this kept the metal runner off the gravel and hopefully last longer.  Our camper's carport is bolted down to the cement pad.  I park the camper on rubber mats.  I hope this is better on the tires than parking on cement for months on end.

 

Great project you've got going on. 

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Beap52 said:

I laid 2x6 treated wood under the runners.  I felt this kept the metal runner off the gravel and hopefully last longer

 

 

I might do this specifically under the contact points. I'm wondering if it would help keep the metal legs from digging into the ground some.

  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ML3

When I was shopping for sheds to store the tractors I considered a metal building. Plan was to install it on a gravel pad & use pressure treated lumber (4x4s) as the perimeter then shed supports would attach to the wood. Hurricane auger type attachment points would be inside the wood perimeter. The salesman  (Amish & very knowledgeable) absolutely advised me against it. He stated the copper & other metals used to treat the lumber will have corrosive effects on the metal of the shed. In fact, even voiding the warranty.  

 

Ultimately,  I ended up with a traditional 12x16 w/10' lean to along the 16' side. The pic is almost a year old.  Now its landscaped around & stone spread under lean to.

 

 

20251103_141937.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, ML3 said:

The salesman  (Amish & very knowledgeable) absolutely advised me against it. He stated the copper & other metals used to treat the lumber will have corrosive effects on the metal of the shed.

 

This is technically correct. 

It is however, easily avoided.

 

1.  Install a layer of ice & water shield between the metal studs and the wood base.

2. Ensure good breathing and good draining.

 

This building will most likely outlast me...

 

We went with this particular kit specifically because of the height. If this was constructed of wood, it would have been several times the price.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
cleat
On 10/4/2026 at 8:26 PM, Beap52 said:

I am in total agreement with you two on keeping a roof over stuff.  If it's got wheels and tires, I want it under cover. 

 

When our kids had a carport installed.  I laid 2x6 treated wood under the runners.  I felt this kept the metal runner off the gravel and hopefully last longer.  Our camper's carport is bolted down to the cement pad.  I park the camper on rubber mats.  I hope this is better on the tires than parking on cement for months on end.

 

Great project you've got going on. 

 

My 20x30 tent garage is sitting on two layers of pressure treated 2x6 with the upper layer notched for the tension straps. I did this to keep the steel frame off the ground and to gain the 3" of extra height I wanted for my tractor with cab to pass in easier.

It has been 12 years now and the wood & metal are getting along just fine with no rot or corrosion.

1678457979_Newgarageonwoodwithcablesburied1.jpg.631cedb70302620b0f3929bd73f777fe.jpg+

765376660_Newgarageonwoodwithcablesburied2.jpg.3e0fa84ba1438a8a14189b1c02e39120.jpg

575983279_Newgarageonwoodwithcablesburied3.jpg.ee1b1c5c820352eb4744c2e9ae576c34.jpg

1796691189_Newgarageonwoodwithcablesburied4.jpg.3b7173a294cd744e0a48c74ce6de5bff.jpg

1599181583_Tentgarageventscutopentoexposescreens1.jpg.fbe0d3b635e39897d43123baf1813ee7.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
kwalshy

Eric, Who did you purchase your car/camper port from?   Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
lynnmor

Some people use railroad ties for a base when installing metal buildings.  If you have a good source they should outlast the new generation of treated lumber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
rjg854
2 hours ago, cleat said:

My 20x30 tent garage

Is that a Cover-All product?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
cleat
27 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Is that a Cover-All product?

It is a Cover Tech.

I had it made and shipped from New Brunswick. 

Frame is still perfect but it will need a new cover in the next year or two.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
rjg854
6 minutes ago, cleat said:

It is a Cover Tech.

We used to erect Cover-All buildings for the company and many of the things I was looking at looked familiar to the way they were put together so that was the reason for my inquirery.  I didn't think they had products that small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...