Jump to content
JoeM

looking for a wire source

Recommended Posts

JoeM

Just about out of my old stock copper wire.

I see there is aluminum clad copper stranded automotive wire. Anyone using this stuff?

Anyone have a good source for the straight copper wire?

Tips and Tricks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
953 nut

Best place to source an assortment of colors is your local trailer dealer. They have a seven wire cable used on trailers with good quality wire and the price is reasonable.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine

Do NOT use CCA if at all avoidable. Unfortunately copper and aluminum are among the metals that are not compatible long term. Combining them is an engineering mistake on anything used outside.

 

I'll try to remember to share a link later on today where I got some decent quality wire.

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Racinbob

Like Richard said, trailer wiring harness. I've purchased a few at Harbor Freight. The #14 wire separates easily. The colors won't all match the factory but I really never worried about that. Electricity is color blind.:)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Mike'sHorseBarn

My local hardware store stocks automotive primary wire that I use in multiple colors and is 100% copper. I would start at your local hardware as well looking for automotive primary wire. 

 

https://paulbhardware.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=14+ga+primary+wire

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
953 nut

Last trip to the local trailer shop they had some that had been pulled out of an equipment trailer they had redone, most of it was good and the price was my favorite four letter word, FREE. Most of the wires are 14 gauge with a couple of 12 and one 10, all copper stranded.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
JoeM

I looked at trailer wire and all I am finding is the CCA stuff.

Nothing close here for picking up used wiring and such, I figure they are like me saving it up and scraping, price is up. 

I found some pure copper through napa, .checked with amazon and you have to watch because their spool size is / can be deceiving. 

napa

image.png.42bb96a8c2b547b45e2d9330beebda73.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I looked at trailer wire and all I am finding is the CCA stuff.

Nothing close here for picking up used wiring and such, I figure they are like me saving it up and scraping, price is up. 

I found some pure copper through napa, .checked with amazon and you have to watch because their spool size is / can be deceiving. 

napa

 

 

 

As I work on my 1986 ford, I've been trying to use good quality components as often as possible. I'm going to be replacing all of the wiring that goes to the back, right from the cab all the way out. As you are finding, it's not easy to get a hold of wiring that isn't CCA.

 

I was able to find some, USA made. It wasn't cheap... but to me, worth the difference.

 

I really like the idea quite a lot of @953 nut above, getting old used wire. I wish I had that capability here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
sqrlgtr
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

@JoeM

 

Here's what I bought but it has 3 wires larger than my old spool of 7 wire standard type trailer wire. 

 

 

https://www.crofttrailer.com/tc7421-jacketed-trailer-cable-7-wire-per-foot/

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks fer the link @ebinmaine believe I would like this better than the regular trailer wire. Im in the same boat as @JoeM, about out of wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, sqrlgtr said:

Thanks fer the link @ebinmaine believe I would like this better than the regular trailer wire. Im in the same boat as @JoeM, about out of wire.

 

Several years ago I bought a 50 foot spool of 7 conductor trailer wire that's all 14 guage.  I do tend to make the main power feed heavier, so the thicker wires would be handy.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...