Sign in to follow this  
bmuone

easy battery connect

bmuone

If you take your battery off and get tired of dropping the nuts n stuff I found a item that might help. Its called batlock (they make one for L post) and I got mine at JC Whitney. I just cut a C in the battery cable to make it go on faster. It sure makes removing and replacing the batteries easier. No I do not work for batlock or JC Whitney. Just trying to make life easier. As you get older you look for things like this. Keep up the good pictures and posts.......Dayton

N.C. horserider

Curiosity would like to see a picture

Don1977

You've told us about it. We need pictures, we like to see!!!! :scratchead:

Coadster32

Yeah, what they said!! :scratchead: It does sound interesting.

clintonnut

It does sound interesting but how often do you have to change batteries. Do you have one battery for every tractor? Not making fun but just wondering......

Charlie

bork

Hehehe vise grips?

bmuone

Sorry folks...had to go help S-I-L for a while. Naw I have two tractors and two batteries which in the summer I have no problems. However in the winter I take the batteries off and put on trickle charger. Sometimes I just want or need to crank a tractor so I put the battery back on. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow but if you'll google search batlock you can probably get a idea. They're just finger tightened with a flip up handle for slack. Ya'll have a goodn...........Dayton

Duvall

Heavy%20Conversion%20Kit%20with%20Product_Page_1.jpg

batlock_modded.jpg

CasualObserver

I could see value in that for people with lots of electric start tractors that don't want to buy 5-10 batteries every other year. It would make it quick to pull the battery off of one and put on another when you want to take her for a spin, and you'd only need a few good batteries on hand. Could cut your annual battery bill down to $40-60 instead of $100-200 or more.

bmuone

Thanks Duvall...just got my pictures so I will try to transfer. Jason hope you here to fix my misups. I have five pictures and I dont want them to be to big. I'll do one first and then the other four.....http://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp23 ... G_1293.jpg Well that didnt work.

Duvall
img1293v.jpg

bmuone

Thanks again Duvall....I just can not seem to get the hang of this picture posting yet. Always said I may be slow but every where I have been ... I got there. I think that picture gives the main idea of these things so I'll leave it at one picture. Too big but at least its clear. Tks and have a good day......Dayton

Duvall

Thanks again Duvall....I just can not seem to get the hang of this picture posting yet. Always said I may be slow but every where I have been ... I got there. I think that picture gives the main idea of these things so I'll leave it at one picture. Too big but at least its clear. Tks and have a good day......Dayton

Your welcome.

Yeah, it was huge at first. I reduced it so we would not need to scroll all over the screen. :scratchead:

wh500special

I could see value in that for people with lots of electric start tractors that don't want to buy 5-10 batteries every other year. It would make it quick to pull the battery off of one and put on another when you want to take her for a spin, and you'd only need a few good batteries on hand. Could cut your annual battery bill down to $40-60 instead of $100-200 or more.

Bingo!

I'd swear I have more invested in batteries than I do in tractors...

I've been installing these on my battery-equipped tractors lately (I bought a bunch of them for $2 apiece at a store closing sale). I figure it cuts the slow drains that sap a battery over time and give me a little insurance against fluke events like fires and such. Seems to have cut down on corrosion.

On tractors I don't use very often I remove the battery completely. On most of those I have replaced the battery stud bolts with SST bolts and wingnuts.

I REALLY like my recoil start tractors! Someday I will find that B60 I've been searching for!

Steve

bitten

Steve

I got a few of those switches also. We use them on some of our powered industrial equipment at work. They seem to hold up well and do what they are supposed to do. I use to have one on my boat and again it worked well. I havent put any on my Wheel Horses yet but putting one on my worker should not be a problem. I am in the process of redoing one of the Horses and havent really came up with a way to mount it. It would be nice to have for fairs and shows as the key is not much of a deterint to someone starting it and this would be differant then a key millions of people have.

Dayton

That is a cool idea for changing batterys even if it is just to move something and take the battery back out, it would save time. I think for long term I would have to stick to nut and bolts just because I know they work. Even so I will look into getting me a set just to have around(like I dont have enough around already).

wh500special

bitten,

I put them in my boat too. One on the cranking battery and one on the trolling battery. My battery charger lugs actually connect to the battery-side of the switch so I can charge even if I don't have the key inserted. They seem to hold up to weather very well and since you're not disconnecting any current I think the internal contacts would last forever.

I don't have any pictures since none of the tractors at my house have the switch on them, but if you don't mind drilling a hole or three :scratchead: you can find reasonably descrete places to hide them and still have easy access.

On my 18-Automatic it is actually in the lower dash panel and took three holes to do, but on the smaller tractors that originally had the fuel shutoff valve sticking thru the dash tower/steering support/etc I just remove that valve, enlarge the hole, and drill two small bolt holes adjacent to it. (I've never had a tractor where that valve was still functional and I replace them with the plastic inline shutoffs.) Even with the bright red key in place, you really don't even notice that it is there.

I've not put any on any "modern" tractors (e.g. 520, 418, etc) so haven't decided where to hide them yet. There are post-mounted switches that work with batteries that have the big automotive style lead post which would require no drilling.

Not a purist,

Steve