SylvanLakeWH 32,413 #26 Posted September 17 (edited) 19 minutes ago, ebinmaine said: Is the top of the throttle shaft reasonably tight in the bore? Put that in English... do you mean to the governor? Or...? i ain't a carbermanator expert like u... Edited September 17 by SylvanLakeWH 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,530 #27 Posted September 17 4 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said: carbermanator At the top of the crabulator - where the twisty thingy gozintah. Make sure: A. The turning motion is free with no "catches" or rough spots. B. That it doesn't wiggle around sideways too much. A little is OK. 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,530 #28 Posted September 17 Here's a similar carb for the explanation. 2 1 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,413 #29 Posted September 17 Gotcha... actually it's pretty good... I'm thinking it's most likely just dirty... I'm noting improvements as I run it, so I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before I get to good... everything on this has been pretty dirty so far... so I'm just keeping up with cleaning as I go and we'll see... 4 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,022 #30 Posted September 18 (edited) A quick check for the upper throttle shaft play is to put a drop of oil on the depression around the shaft (right where @ebinmaine is pointing) while the engine is running. If the surging goes away and then returns when the oil is gone then air in-leakage around the shaft is your problem. The little brass washers from the hardware store could do the trick. Edited September 18 by 953 nut 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,530 #31 Posted September 18 14 minutes ago, 953 nut said: brass washers from the hardware store could do the trick Unfortunately most of the small block carbs I've seen don't have that provision. 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,431 #32 Posted September 18 (edited) 24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said: Unfortunately most of the small block carbs I've seen don't have that provision. If I happened onto a #22 that was badly worn, I’d be temped to experiment with other ways to revive it--perhaps drill out and insert bushing(s) at the upper and lower pivots? This is not uncommon in older automotive carbs. Edited September 18 by Handy Don 2 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,022 #33 Posted September 18 1 hour ago, ebinmaine said: Unfortunately most of the small block carbs I've seen don't have that provision. I was just referring to the upper throttle shaft play. 1 hour ago, Handy Don said: If I happened onto a #22 that was badly worn, I’d be temped to experiment with other ways to revive it--perhaps drill out and insert bushing(s) at the upper and lower pivots? This is not uncommon in older automotive carbs. A flanged bushing could be filed to conform to the elongated lower pivot point, or as you have suggested drill top and bottom to ensure proper alignment and insert bushings top and bottom 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,413 #34 Posted September 19 Today's progress: C clips for the front tachomatic latch bar thingy (there were none...) then converted it to a front 2" hitch. Can be easily converted back for mowing - remove 4 bolts and put knob back on... can use for trailer maneuvering, weight, winch for plow etc... older I get more I like looking straight ahead at what I'm hitched to... 5 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,413 #35 Posted September 20 Today's progress: Added 4 prong connection for magnetic trailer lights. Now when I'm hauling littles around the hood I have both the slow vehicle triangle and taillights... Also fabbed a new hitch pin and added some weight front and back... Finally, ordered taillights to complete the lighting system. 4 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,431 #36 Posted September 20 5 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said: Added 4 prong connection for magnetic trailer lights. Pic of the connection, please? 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,413 #37 Posted September 20 2 minutes ago, Handy Don said: Pic of the connection, please? Here ya go... Pilfered off old trailer wire set I had laying in the parts bin. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,431 #38 Posted September 20 18 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said: Ah, I may have a couple of those in my “low voltage electrical supplies” box. That’ll work well when I rewire the beacon-on-a-pole for winter plowing. Thanx 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,413 #39 Posted September 20 Added my custom designed transmission shift boot. 2 pieces of bicycle inner tube, overlapped... works shockingly good for the price... (Free) 4 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,413 #40 Posted September 21 Continued to tinker with carb to address surging and today that issue was replaced with a runaway throttle problem...! Had not touched the governor arm / adjustment. When I went to full throttle it went way too high and no governor limits... Governor arm came out of adjustment - loose bolt. Adjusted and bam... running great! I think the governor arm was slipping on the shaft adding to the surge issue... Now runs with only a minor hint of surging when cold... warmed up it runs much better now. Tail lights arrive today. That's next... 3 4 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,530 #41 Posted September 21 2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said: warmed up it runs much better now. Woohoo!! 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
CRF857 835 #42 Posted September 22 2 hours ago, ebinmaine said: Woohoo!! 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,413 #43 Posted September 22 Evening progress: Tail lights installed. Yes they are on top of the decal. PO drilled and placed a light there - long gone - so I reused holes to extent possible and covered up the torn decal... 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,413 #44 Posted September 22 (edited) Today: Seat pad made from materials on hand. Ran around the hood - no surging!!! Edited September 22 by SylvanLakeWH 1 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,530 #45 Posted September 22 54 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said: Seat pad Hunk o' foam in that? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,413 #46 Posted September 22 1 hour ago, ebinmaine said: Hunk o' foam in that? Yes Old ensolite sleeping pad over pvc board with vinyl top... used for numerous applications... including another model WH that I'm working on. Here's the first one... 1 and 3 year old testing engineers approved... 1 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,413 #47 Posted 4 hours ago (edited) Replaced leaking axle seal. Hub puller worked perfectly again... 1" axle seal #'s 100863 SKF9815 Timken 240731 Sourced at local auto shop for $7.50 each. Called at 7:30 am, picked up at 11:30 am. My thanks to @squonk for guidance on the seals... Edited 3 hours ago by SylvanLakeWH 4 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites