953 nut 69,283 #1 Posted August 19 August 19, 1950 ABC begins broadcasting Saturday morning kids' shows (Animal Clinic and Acrobat Ranch). 1 1 5 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,694 #2 Posted August 19 Saturday morning cartoons were a weekly institution in my house! 3 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ri702bill 13,050 #3 Posted August 19 Growing up in Providence, the better Saturday morning cartoons were broadcast out of the Boston area. Reception was weather dependent, but a snowy picture was better than no picture. 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,694 #4 Posted August 19 25 minutes ago, ri702bill said: Growing up in Providence, the better Saturday morning cartoons were broadcast out of the Boston area. Reception was weather dependent, but a snowy picture was better than no picture. I was in north central Massachusetts but watching the same Boston channels. Our issue was living in a valley. Locally referenced to as "Radio free Athol" by many folks. Cable TV was a necessity. Antenna reception did not exist. 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,474 #5 Posted August 19 (edited) My parents rationed TV but those Saturday cartoons were included! Edited August 19 by Handy Don 3 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,283 #6 Posted August 19 We got out first TV in the summer of 1956, I was so excited but the fist day we got it was the first day of one of the political party conventions and none of the shows I was looking forward to seeing were on the air, the following week the other political ;party held their convention. To say that I was disappointed would be a gross understatement. I did get to watch the cartoons and cowboy shows on the weekend though so all was well. 6 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
pfrederi 21,148 #7 Posted August 20 14 hours ago, 953 nut said: We got out first TV in the summer of 1956, I was so excited but the fist day we got it was the first day of one of the political party conventions and none of the shows I was looking forward to seeing were on the air, the following week the other political ;party held their convention. To say that I was disappointed would be a gross understatement. I did get to watch the cartoons and cowboy shows on the weekend though so all was well. ahh yes Gavel to Gavel Coverage as they used to say on TV. Not good for a 7 year old... 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites