953 nut 69,283 #1 Posted August 14 August 14, 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs into law the Social Security Act. Press photographers snapped pictures as FDR, flanked by ranking members of Congress, signed into law the historic act, which guaranteed an income for the unemployed and retirees. FDR commended Congress for what he considered to be a “patriotic” act. 1 4 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,474 #2 Posted August 14 Biting my tongue. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ri702bill 13,049 #3 Posted August 14 3 hours ago, 953 nut said: an income for the unemployed??? I thought the two were seperate... Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
rmaynard 17,582 #4 Posted August 14 For those who worked their entire lives and did not have benefit of a company or government retirement or pension package, Social Security is what it was meant to be, a safety net. Having paid into the system all of our working lives, it could have been managed better, but it is still better than nothing. As for those who are somehow drawing Social Security without contributing, that's a crime. I'll say no more. 2 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
c-series don 12,444 #5 Posted August 14 I’ve been paying into Social Security since I got my working papers at the age of 14. Lord knows how much I’ve contributed to it? Yes I know there’s a way to find out, but I’ve never bothered to. I sincerely hope that when it comes time for me to collect, it’s still there. As I get closer to that age it becomes more of a concern. A few years ago I remember reading that it could run out around the same time I was entitled to start collecting. That’s my money that was taken out of my paycheck, the thought of it not being there when I need it infuriates me. As far as @rmaynard said people that have/are taking money out of this system that didn’t contribute are stealing, and that is a crime. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,474 #7 Posted August 15 2 hours ago, 953 nut said: 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites