Jump to content
Ed Kennell

2026 Deer and Fish Tales

Recommended Posts

Pullstart
On 9/12/2026 at 11:54 AM, SylvanLakeWH said:

1/2 hour long early doe season!!!

 

2 tags 2 doe

 

15 minutes after sunrise I drop the first one... while I'm gutting it, no. 2 moseys by... dropped her as well... both fell where they stood!!!

 

:banana-linedance:


 

Random thoughts with @Pullstart…. Sylvia did you make high shoulder shots?  .350 or .450?  How much meat loss from the bullet?

 

Would you have the room to double lung shoot the deer and let them run a bit and drop?  I love an easy track job.  I also love meat.  I’m just curious as to your methods, or reasoning.  I’ve done both.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX??
On 9/12/2026 at 10:54 AM, SylvanLakeWH said:

2 tags 2 doe

C'mon over Sylvia I got 12 doe tags. Ducks in a barrel too. :)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH
8 minutes ago, Pullstart said:


 

Random thoughts with @Pullstart…. Sylvia did you make high shoulder shots?  .350 or .450?  How much meat loss from the bullet?

 

Would you have the room to double lung shoot the deer and let them run a bit and drop?  I love an easy track job.  I also love meat.  I’m just curious as to your methods, or reasoning.  I’ve done both.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Neck just above shoulder. Really no meat loss.

 

.350 at 75 yards and 25 yards.

 

I have had good luck with this method. Very little tracking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart
1 minute ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Neck


I have been seeing some pretty interesting neck recipes.  If you got em in a barrel like Uncle Jim, maybe a head shot or two would be in order?

 

4 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

C'mon over Sylvia I got 12 doe tags. Ducks in a barrel too. :)

 

What season is plow day again?  Bow?  Maybe I need to come on Wednesday :lol:

  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX??
8 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

interesting neck recipes.

I've got quite a few for rolled roasts if you have the patience to bone it. Was always dad's favorite. He always got ticked off with my 7mm-08neck shots. 

 

10 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

What season is plow day again?  Bow?

Yep or x bow. Problem with this time of year is getting it cooled down without a walk in. I plan on taking a pick up load to a donation place once it cools down out. 

They pay the butcher 135 to cut & wrap all you gotta do is gut it and get it to them. Problem is here the nearest place is hrs away. They recently upped it from 125 to try and get more processers to participate. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart

Have buck knife, will travel.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Problem is here the nearest place is hrs away.

I'm very fortunate. Shot to processor is 1/2 hr.

 

Early season is crazy with temperatures... it was 65 when I dropped my two early doe this year.

 

Looking forward to regular season!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

They pay the butcher 135 to cut & wrap

Wow, here's my Amish butcher's price list.     I skin and debone all my deer, but I use the butcher to make me a 10 lb 5" diameter bologna for $7.50 and he cures two hinds for dried deer for $1.30/lb.     This includes slicing, vacpac, and freezing.

 

IMG_20260930_113205000_BURST002.jpg.8e1b0b07a82c394b3be9dd4e3532801e.jpg

1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Early season is crazy with temperatures.

    Yeah, I don't shoot doe till November.  Then 50 yd head shots with the .223 WSSM.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...