Sign in to follow this  
WHC-125

Should I buy?

WHC-125

:scratchead:

I was looking into buying a tarp shed because I could have more room in my barn and when I have to work on something in my barn I dont have to move 4 tractors. Let me know what you guys think of investing in one of these. Also I measured and I can fit 6 tractors and attachements with room to spare. :hide:

Tarp Shed

Duff

Chris, I had the virtual twin to the one you're looking at a while back. Bought it from BJ's WHolesale Club up this way for, as I recall, under $200. My buddy and I put it together in about an hour and were impressed with how well things went together. We used it to store hay when my wife's horse (four legged) was boarded at his place before we moved to a commercial stable. Here's what I learned:

-Erects quickly

-Once up, it's pretty solid, but DO make sure to install the enclosed cable cross-bracing.

-Make sure you anchor it to the ground. It (or at least the one we had) comes with ground stakes but we quickly upgraded to pieces of rebar).

-Sheds snow very well and will take a pretty good snow load. If, however, you aren't in a position to clean the snow off it with regularity, reinforce the roof frame with some 2x4 upright supports.

-Ours didn't have a floor, so we laid down some 2x4PT stringers and put cheap plywood on top of those.

We used it for three years and it was still serviceable at the end, although the "door flap" was starting to give up. We finally gave it to another buddy of ours who now stores his dirt bikes in it during the off-season.

Oh...did I say, "Make sure you anchor it to the ground!" ? We didn't at first and in a severe thunderstorm the whole building uprooted and rolled half way down the pasture. :hide: Surprisingly, the damage was very minor!

Just one man's experiences......

Duff :scratchead:

Don1977

I think you would have a lot of moisture in there in the winter, not good for your horses.

How about a lean-to addition that you could close in and add a concrete floor in the future.

WHC-125

Duff, thank you for your advice!

Don, the horses that I would put in there would be ones that havent been restored and I would put my quad and honda odyssey in there as well. Also I have many attachments I would like to put in there as well. And I regularly use my horses as well, even if it is for a just a cruise around the yard.

Sparky

If you do end up with one of these shelters try to put it where it doesnt get sunlight all day. The UV rays deteriorated the side of mine that faced the sun while the other side was still like new. I also built a 12x20 deck that it mounted on and anchored the steel tubing with lags into the framing. It gives you a nice clean, level floor to work on if you end up doing any projects in it.

Mike........

Gerry w

Good advice Chris, but do keep them off the ground! Tire rot, rust, mold, to name a few, cheap plywood was a really good suggestion.

stevebo

CHRIS, I LIKE THESE TENTS BUT I WOULD KEEP IT ABOUT 5 FEET AWAY FROM YOUR BARN SO YOU CAN GET BETWEEN THE TWO TO REMOVE SNOW, LEAVES ETC. IT WILL ALSO GIVE YOU EXTRA SPACE TO PUT A FEW THINGS UNDER A TARP (IN BETWEEN). ALL OTHER SUGGESTIONS WERE GREAT. YOU COULD EVEN MAKE A FLOOR OUT OF A LOAD OF GRAVEL/PROCESS BUT BE SURE TO LAY WEED BLOCK DOWN FIRST. GOOD LUCK-

WHC-125

CHRIS, I LIKE THESE TENTS BUT I WOULD KEEP IT ABOUT 5 FEET AWAY FROM YOUR BARN SO YOU CAN GET BETWEEN THE TWO TO REMOVE SNOW, LEAVES ETC. IT WILL ALSO GIVE YOU EXTRA SPACE TO PUT A FEW THINGS UNDER A TARP (IN BETWEEN). ALL OTHER SUGGESTIONS WERE GREAT. YOU COULD EVEN MAKE A FLOOR OUT OF A LOAD OF GRAVEL/PROCESS BUT BE SURE TO LAY WEED BLOCK DOWN FIRST. GOOD LUCK-

Steve, I am thinking about putting it on the opposite side of my yard, that my barn is on in my backyard.

Rollerman

Looks good Chris.

Been cosidering one to store my boat in over the winter too.

Guess I need to start shopping around.