Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

The Weather Outside is Frightful....

T-Mo

I just have to vent a little here. I didn't go to work today as my wife didn't want me out driving in this mess. It's been mainly sleeting here since about 8:30 AM and it's still coming down. I haven't moved the snow plow off the C-141 and put in on the 314 yet, though with nothing but a inch or two of sleet the plow won't do much good anyway. I can't mess with the C-141, nor can I take the engine to the machine shop. So I'm watching mucha TV and every so often I log on here to see what is going on. Without this site, I would have gone stir crazy. :thumbs: I wonder what I'm going to do when I retired. :thumbs:

nylyon

Temperatures dropped down to 0 last night and at 10:00PM I heard a funny noise from the furnace. It was the noise of running out of oil :thumbs: Sticked the tank and sure enough nothing. Went to the local gas station and got 20 gallons of Diesel fuel so we wouldn't freeze. Turns out they can't deliver any oil until Wednesday, so I'll be getting another 10 to be sure we're good.

The one thing running out did do is get my fat butt out and split some of the wood I had. Got the fireplace going today keep the house at 78 degrees with the thermostats turned off and outside temps at 19 degrees.

But Terry, that mess is heading east and will be here tomorrow into Wednesday!

kpinnc

I wonder what I'm going to do when I retired.

Get about 5 more tractors! You can have them all set up "assembly line" style like mine! Most run, and the ones that don't are in the back of the line. Then there's modifications to consider, and lastly, which means in the front, you have the ones that are NEARLY finished. It'll keep you busy for years! Not to mention the "honey-do" list. That one never ends... :thumbs:

At least it has for me- with apparently years more to come! :thumbs:

And I'm nowhere near retiring yet!

Kevin

nylyon

I wonder what I'm going to do when I retired. :thumbs:

We'll make you Admin :thumbs:

Mith

Got the fireplace going today keep the house at 78 degrees

Wow, you keep your place hot!

Its 60 degrees both inside and outside here. Very pleasant weather :thumbs:

nylyon

When I'm running on oil, the thermostats are set at 67

T-Mo

It has finally stopped sleeting, though the weather "experts" are saying it could sleet on and off most of the night. If it stops for good then I can gauge whether or not I want to go to work tomorrow. My main concern has been loosing power - it doesn't take much around here to lose the old electric (thanks Ameren UE). :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Your not alone Terry. The sleet has started here :D Supposed to get about 2" of snow and 1-2 " of ice :thumbs: Now I don't have to worry about work for a few weeks as the Train wreck we discussed last week has bought me a few weeks off while the broken hand heals. Wife says if I quit using it it will heal faster. What does she know? She's just a nurse in the ER :P Good thing I can weld with my left :D Course its only wrapped no cast, so I keep it wrapped up good so I don't use it much :thumbs:

whchris

oh come on i got home from work about 15 min ago to find my drafty 1800's farm house at 10

T-Mo

Your not alone Terry. The sleet has started here :D Supposed to get about 2" of snow and 1-2 " of ice :thumbs: Now I don't have to worry about work for a few weeks as the Train wreck we discussed last week has bought me a few weeks off while the broken hand heals. Wife says if I quit using it it will heal faster. What does she know? She's just a nurse in the ER :P Good thing I can weld with my left :D Course its only wrapped no cast, so I keep it wrapped up good so I don't use it much :thumbs:

But Terry, that mess is heading east and will be here tomorrow into Wednesday!

You guys can have this weather. I would rather see snow. It started sleeting again about 2 hours ago and, though it has been light, it hasn't stopped since. Tomorrow's work looks like it won't happen for me. What's funny is that while it started sleeting here about 8:30 this morning, it didn't get to St. Louis until about 2 pm and it's stopped sleeting there already.

We already got over 2 inches on the ground and we're on way to 3 inches, all sleet.

pond195520032003

somebody out west better turn their chute on the snow blower the other was :thumbs: you are blowing the snow this way :D:D Joel, what train wreck are you talking about :P never herd about it :thumbs:

69DEZ

Joel what were you doing with you R hand?????? :thumbs::thumbs: ........ :D

combatmp29r

Greg, Was not this past Sat, but the Sat before. We were making a shove into watkins Yard in obetz. The mighty Indiand and Ohio from Logan blew a stop signal and T boned us cutting our train in half. I was riding the shove on the lead end, they hit us about 15 cars or so behind me. Still enough of a jar to knock me off the cut. I broke my right hand and bruised some ribs. It knocked my engineer off his seat giving him a concussion and a bruised tail bone. Not on the news, as it was inside our yard limits so its all handled by our cops and investigators. If we reported all the stuff that happened on our own property we wouldn't be the #1 railroad for safety 18 years running :D So I'm off till it heals (about 6 weeks). Maybe more if I don't quit using it. I still say its just bruised though. I've broke alot of bones, and this one doesn't feel broke :thumbs: As my wife says oh so often in the ER "I don't have xray eyes though" Union disability will kick in eentually, but normally not till your back working :thumbs:

combatmp29r

69dez, I got complacent with the V18 and she kicked me :thumbs::D :thumbs:

TT

Well, fellows.....

We took delivery of about 6 inches of nice fluffy snow so far today. It's changing over to sleet/freezing rain as I'm typing this.

I was over at the neighbors garage after I got home and decided to try to get the little 5hp Craftsman snowblower running that my Dad gave me last year. (It ran when it came here, and had just been sitting around.) Ater I removed the carb heat deflector and unstuck the throttle shaft, it fired right up! :thumbs:

I drove it across the road and used it to do the whole driveway -- but had to quit when the rotten fuel line broke off at the tank nipple. (I had just refilled it too! :D ) I got the piece removed from the bottom of the tank and stuck the line back on without losing too much gas. I had just about finished up with a path to the shop and the line split again, so I stuck a piece of hose on it so it wouldn't leak anymore and parked it in the shop. I'll put that on the work list for tomorrow. :thumbs:

T-Mo

Terry,

How much sleet/freezing rain are you supposed to get? I hope for your sake there isn't much freezing rain in there as that stuff wrecks havoc on power lines, tree limbs which wreck havoc on power lines, and is almost impossible to drive on. Have I mentioned it wrecks havoc with power lines yet? :thumbs:

Sounds like it's about time to grab one of your Wheel Horses to finish up. :thumbs:

nylyon

We have about 4 inches of snow, but it is supposed to turn to freezing rain / sleet and then to just rain by tomorrow afternoon. Yuck!

Kelly

We've got about 5" of snowman snow as my kids would say, Not to wet not to dry just right for a snowman. and still coming down.

Buzz

that stuff wrecks havoc on power lines, tree limbs which wreck havoc on power lines, and is almost impossible to drive on. Have I mentioned it wrecks havoc with power lines yet? :D

I'm at work right now at our local electric utility. I have two crews out now setting poles where the idiots broke them :thumbs: and am sending another crew to an outage probably caused by falling trees or limbs. The only good thing is that I'm indoors where it's warm and toasty and I can check the forum every once in a while :thumbs:

Rollerman

About 4" here tonight....& looks like more snow comeing about every 2 days on the long range forcast...of yeah like thats ever acurate. :thumbs:

On a side note I just got off the phone with my parents in FL...I told them to hurry home & enjoy our IN weather. :thumbs:

TT

Terry,

How much sleet/freezing rain are you supposed to get? I hope for your sake there isn't much freezing rain in there as that stuff wrecks havoc on power lines, tree limbs which wreck havoc on power lines, and is almost impossible to drive on. Have I mentioned it wrecks havoc with power lines yet? :thumbs:

Sounds like it's about time to grab one of your Wheel Horses to finish up. :thumbs:

The forecast is calling for .1 to .3 inches overnight. I have to be at an appointment at 11AM tomorrow, and figure it should be cleared off the roads by then.

I'm guessing total accumulation since 5AM was around 8 inches. I went out about 8PM, cleaned the vehicles, and headed for the shop. I spent about an hour on the 416 pushing back the edges and making room for more snow. A friend from down the road stopped by with his Blazer & snow plow and helped me finish up.

combatmp29r

Well we got about 3" of snow and then it changed over to rain :thumbs: Been raining for about 6 hours now. I have puddles in the middle of the snow out there :thumbs: Haven't seen that one before. Supposed to change back to snow tonight and drop another 2-3 inches by morning. We'll see about that :D

69DEZ

Joel, I have a 12ft DEEP V boat if U need it. :thumbs:

nylyon

We got about 4 inches then rain what a slushy mess! I had to plow out the storm drains in the street, they were blocked and I had 5" of water / salt / slush mess in front of my driveway (good thing my house is up the hill) Once I got the drains unclogged it sent down quickly. I got a :thumbs: from 2 neighbors for cleaning up the drains, but an umbrella and coffee would have been better!

combatmp29r

Well it snowed another 3 inches overnight. Puddles are still there though. just hidden under fresh powder. was quite humorouse to see my doberman go prancing across the snow this morning and get ambushed by a hidden puddle :thumbs: Well till I had to dry her off before the Mrs would let her back in the house. 1st time I've ever seen a dog bark at a puddle though :thumbs: :D