rwmastel

Spring loose (not a screw loose!)

rwmastel
Posted (edited)

About a month ago I dropped my mower deck to flip it, remove the blades, and sharpen them.  When I slid the mower deck out from under the mower, I found a broken spring laying on the center blade's pulley.  What might this be from?  Did I break it by not removing the deck properly?  The deck still goes up/down and mows fine, but I'm sure all things in the world would be better if a working spring was back in its place.

20240419_165243 - Copy.jpg

Edited by rwmastel

Jim Sheaffer

This spring is located on the right side of the battery box and is purposed to help return the PTO lever to it's relaxed position. Tractor will function ok without it, but I'm not telling you that to suggest you leave it off. I only know that because if fell off of mine too.

• Like 3

kpinnc

Looks alot like the park brake release spring as well on a 300/400/500 series. They are usually under the center console shift plate. 

• Like 1

Bill D
9 hours ago, Jim Sheaffer said:

This spring is located on the right side of the battery box and is purposed to help return the PTO lever to it's relaxed position. Tractor will function ok without it, but I'm not telling you that to suggest you leave it off. I only know that because if fell off of mine too.

Agreed.  Definitely from the PTO.  That spring doesn't look like it can be reused.  Any generic spring from the hardware store should work fine as a replacement.

rwmastel

Thanks everyone!  Already had a trip to The Big Orange Box Store planned for today.

8ntruck
On 5/24/2024 at 12:24 AM, Jim Sheaffer said:

That spring would also hold the PTO lever against the safety switch.  

The PTO lever on my 14-8 needs help quite often to close the safety switch. 

I wonder.....

peter lena

@rwmastel   that entire lever area , is a gold mine for improvement , first photo , notice all the added washers , lubrication , next to the battery area ?  my horses used to have an original  set up , that constantly acted up , been bombproof  now for years with changes . not that difficult either , just ask , pete  

rwmastel
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the link, I'll take a detailed look at that next.  I found a spring replacement at Ace Hardware.  I found the IPL (illustrated parts list) and found the spring is part #7 in the attached diagram.  The PTO rod that connects the hand lever to the PTO still has the cotter pin in place, but from the diagram I can't tell what the other end of the spring connects to.  Do any of you know?  Maybe it will be self apparent when I get these panels off.  So far, I spent part of today's lunch hour removing the battery to get better access to shop vac the grass & dead mice out.  A live mouse got away.  :doh:

#7 Spring.jpg

20240529_164129.jpg

Edited by rwmastel

rwmastel
On 5/25/2024 at 11:04 AM, 8ntruck said:

That spring would also hold the PTO lever against the safety switch.  The PTO lever on my 14-8 needs help quite often to close the safety switch. 

This may have been my electrical problem in the electrical sub-forum.  When getting back on the tractor after doing the battery cable work, I'm sure I double checked all the levers, so maybe it just needed pushed against the switch more since the spring was gone.  We'll never know because I cleaned up the battery cable and now I'm replacing the spring.

8ntruck

This is a day late and a dollar short, but, in a pinch, I've bent the next coil in the spring to form a new hook when the hook has broken off one end of the spring.

rwmastel

Where does the spring that helps disengage the PTO lever (keep it against the safety switch) attach?

rwmastel
Posted (edited)

Some broader searching helped me find what I believe are the proper spring attachment points.

Should I try to get a proper spring from a Toro dealer?

Edited by rwmastel
Updated video.

peter lena

@rwmastel typically that lever set up , on every horse is simplistic at best , what it desperately needs is some functional detailing , have added washers / lubrication to every motion start point , production build did not  detail in ease of movement / also cost of anything added , was typically omitted . started adding washers to  fill up the gaps , grease , noting easier / solid / smooth movement , what a concept !  of course this is not in the book . but its relatively easy to set up . a gold mine of opportunity , smooth , solid , easy , pete 

rwmastel

Yes, Peter, your excellent thread was linked above.  I can tackle that in hot, dry August when the mowing frequency slows down. 

For today, I'm just concerned about putting an effective spring in place.

I believe I have the forward end looped through the correct hole.  Anyone think I've got it wrong?  As seen in the video, it doesn't keep tension in the lever when in the disengaged position (because it got stretched by moving the lever).  But, seeing how that contact safety switch works, I think it's good enough.

Other than Peter's upgrades, anything else to change before it all goes back together?