Racinbob

Muffler and Magnum engine.

Racinbob

Two questions guys. 

1) Will a 12-16hp Magnum engine physically fit (clear the hood) on a C-series?

2) I have reason to believe the internals of this muffler are giving me issues. Is the body of the original mufflers larger on the big blocks vs the small blocks?

241761274_Muffler16hp.jpg.22ea5cf7a74c7c335df96149198250d8.jpg

ebinmaine

1.  No. The top of the shroud right near the hood is larger on a Magnum than it is on the older K series. 

2. The difference in size on the Mufflers that are headed across the front of the engine like that aren't so much for Big Block versus Small Block but it's the year they were produced. The mid-70s had a smaller can diameter of slightly less than 3 inches. Somewhere around 1978 or so Wheel Horse changed to a larger diameter can which is... 3.5" (?)

Those larger diameter cans might not give you enough clearance to keep from melting the paint on the hood on the mid 70s B & C series.

Some folks use them with success but I've had several tractors go through the shop with obvious hot paint.

• Thanks 2

Racinbob

Thanks Eric.

I had a hunch about the magnums. I've seen pictures of C's with them but not in person to see how they made them fit. 

This muffler is about 3.25" by an eyeball measurement. I was just feeling like it looked a little small. I guess not. :D

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Racinbob said:

Thanks Eric.

I had a hunch about the magnums. I've seen pictures of C's with them but not in person to see how they made them fit. 

This muffler is about 3.25" by an eyeball measurement. I was just feeling like it looked a little small. I guess not. :D

@Sparky's neighbor, Tony, put a 16 Magnum under the hood of what used to be in 1974 c160 with a Tecumseh engine. 

@Docwheelhorse ??

I hope I got that name right

Because those engines were a little taller being ohv, I don't believe he had to modify the tractor. Might have been 1, 1.5 inch rise difference in the hood hinge on those models so that gives you an idea of the scale of things. It's easily enough done.

• Like 2

87 416-8 horse
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Because those engines were a little taller being ohv, 

If you're talking about the same magnum 16 that came in the late 80's horses, they weren't over head valve engines. I have a magnum 16 in my 416 if you would like me to take some measurements? @Racinbob

Edited by 87 416-8 horse
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

If you're talking about the same magnum 16 that came in the late 80's horses, they weren't over head valve engines. I have a magnum 16 in my 416 if you would like me to take some measurements? @Racinbob

I didn't exactly state that clearly. It was the Tecumseh that were OHV. 

The reason a Magnum doesn't fit in an older C Series tractor is that the K series engines which were original, had more of a rounded top corner and took up slightly less space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob
38 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@Sparky's neighbor, Tony, put a 16 Magnum under the hood of what used to be in 1974 c160 with a Tecumseh engine. 

@Docwheelhorse ??

I hope I got that name right

Because those engines were a little taller being ohv, I don't believe he had to modify the tractor. Might have been 1, 1.5 inch rise difference in the hood hinge on those models so that gives you an idea of the scale of things. It's easily enough done.

I had forgotten about those models. If I remember correctly it was a special front hinge on the hood that raised them. I'm thinking those could be found or easily fabricated. :)

ebinmaine
Just now, Racinbob said:

I had forgotten about those models. If I remember correctly it was a special front hinge on the hood that raised them. I'm thinking those could be found or easily fabricated. :)

Finding one might not be super easy considering there weren't a lot of them made but somehow or another I've ended up with three at my house. I'd be more than happy to give you all the pictures and measurements you need.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69
Posted (edited)

A magnum and k series have same dimensions on their engine blocks.  I would say a command pro might be a hard conversion. But I can't see how a magnum would be hard to transplant. 

Edited by Fordiesel69
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Fordiesel69 said:

A magnum and k series have same dimensions on their engine blocks.  I would say a command pro might be a hard conversion. But I can't see how a magnum would be hard to transplant. 

MOST of the blocks are the same. 

It's the sheet metal that's different.  

Also, the ignition from K to M is different. 

Couple wires and an ignition switch.  

• Like 1

Racinbob
45 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Finding one might not be super easy considering there weren't a lot of them made but somehow or another I've ended up with three at my house. I'd be more than happy to give you all the pictures and measurements you need.

Thanks Eric. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Right now I'm looking at all the options and that one is near the top of the list. :)

• Thanks 1

Fordiesel69
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

MOST of the blocks are the same. 

It's the sheet metal that's different.  

Also, the ignition from K to M is different. 

Couple wires and an ignition switch.  

I was being stupid thinking about the GT series workhorses.  I have a spare M14 im planning to put on my extra GT-1642 when the briggs twin looses a valve seat.  A c series the left side of the hood ,may catch on the sheet metal  

• Like 2

Sparky

I thought Tony had made a thread here about the project but I guess not. This was all I could find. 
@Docwheelhorse

• Thanks 2

mrc

i recently purchased a workhorse series tractor that originally had the 18hp engine.  the previous owner told me the 18 hp engine blew up and he replaced it with a  magnum 10 hp kohler form a 310-8.  fits in there just fine. 

regards

mike

JoeM

Put a 10 horse magnum on the C120. Raised the hood in the front 3/4" with spacers and tweaked the sides out a bit to fit. Muffler is close but has not burned the paint. I think the amount of air moving across it from the engine helps.

image.png.cf05cf4de74b0f92f8c486d7ebe04f2f.pngimage.png.17fc26443aa76c45d3a9c2e89b2267c5.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1