Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Deck blade angle

bo dawg

Anyone know what the cutting edge angle is on the deck blades? I was guessing somewhere between 30 - 35 degrees.

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

More like 40 to 45 degrees. It's more a chisel edge than a cutting type edge. 

Obviously it's a balance between a sharp edge that would be damaged pretty much right away and a plain flat surface that would still beat it's way through grass at a high enough speed.

Currently I have a Stihl battery mower and the blade on that is very thin and has a very sharp cutting edge, honestly you could shave with a new one. The reason for this is the battery motor is not powerful enough to drive a blade as thick as a petrol engined machine and similarly not strong enough to cut grass with a chisel edge. We will see how long it lasts eh?

• Like 2

lynnmor

Most mower blades are 30 degrees, my Country Clipper specifies 25 and some John Deere are 35.

• Like 2

rick

@lynnmor is correct, the standard angle for most blades is 30º.  I cut some rough stuff, twigs and small branches get run over and cut up so I use a 35º angle on my blades.  30º gives a nicer cut on fine lawns, as the angle gets more obtuse 35º and above the cut is not as fine but the edge lasts longer.  Think of a chef's knife and a cleaver.

I use a MagnaMatic 8000 to sharpen mower blades.

• Like 1

bo dawg
On 4/25/2024 at 1:35 AM, Mickwhitt said:

More like 40 to 45 degrees. It's more a chisel edge than a cutting type edge. 

Obviously it's a balance between a sharp edge that would be damaged pretty much right away and a plain flat surface that would still beat it's way through grass at a high enough speed.

Currently I have a Stihl battery mower and the blade on that is very thin and has a very sharp cutting edge, honestly you could shave with a new one. The reason for this is the battery motor is not powerful enough to drive a blade as thick as a petrol engined machine and similarly not strong enough to cut grass with a chisel edge. We will see how long it lasts eh?

I believe you are correct, I forgot I had a set of Toro/Wheel Horse blades that had never been re-sharpened with the factory angle and it is 45 degrees. I thought I was gona have to buy a new set just to clarify.

• Like 1

rick

I may sharpen the set coming off my 48"SD mower to 45º and see how they do.  I do sometimes abuse the blades on small branches and twigs...

• Like 1