squonk

Hydogear cooling fan

squonk

We were cleaning out some old obsolete refrigeration equipment at work and I saved these 2 fans. They are similar to the metal hydrogear cooling fans from the 60's. The fans on tractors usually are missing cracked bent ect. These fans measure 6 7/8" and 7 7/8" O.D. I thought of bringing these to the show and comparing them to a fan on a tractor but if anyone has one of these an can take a pic and measure across that would be helpful. I do not need a fan but I'm trying to come up with a reasonably priced alternative to the obsolete WH fan so members can replace theirs if needed.

fans.jpg.08477ca80954608489ff80ab83a4a2a8.jpg

• Excellent 7

elcamino/wheelhorse

Dumpster diving again .:ROTF:

• Haha 6

ACman

My 1075 needs one but I can’t get to it for a measurement . I should have bought one from @Big-Game at the big show in 2016 or 17 . The protection screen seem to go missing also . With a box break, the right perforated metal and some measurements they could easily be replicated . 

• Like 1

rmaynard

I can measure my 875 fan.

• Like 1

rmaynard
Posted (edited)

Measurements

fansb.jpg.886b460d43ab9b1715185ec16a0df3f7.jpg

fanpitch.jpg.fe9d68303fa8bae1bbf28458b58ef0f9.jpg

10 hours ago, ACman said:

My 1075 needs one but I can’t get to it for a measurement . I should have bought one from @Big-Game at the big show in 2016 or 17 . The protection screen seem to go missing also . With a box break, the right perforated metal and some measurements they could easily be replicated . 

I can take pictures and measurements of the screen and mounting brackets if you need them. I think the 1075 is the same, but I'll check the book to be sure.

According to the 1075/875 parts list, the screens are the same.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

squonk

Thanks Bob. I can compare those measurements to my refrigeration book and hopefully come up with a fan that can be ordered when someone needs one. 

• Like 1

rmaynard
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Thanks Bob. I can compare those measurements to my refrigeration book and hopefully come up with a fan that can be ordered when someone needs one. 

I would image that Sundstrand used an off-the-shelf fan on their pump, so it is probably still available generically.

squonk
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I would image that Sundstrand used an off-the-shelf fan on their pump, so it is probably still available generically.

That's what I'm thinking. It looks like a common refrigeration fan. There are about a hundred different ones available. Just gotta nail down a part # 

Looks like the smaller fan I have is identical except the rotation is wrong. Progress

Edited by squonk

squonk

Problem I'm running into is the trans pulley spins CCW Most refrigeration fans spin CW. The WH fan pulls air over the trans pump and put the screen. I don't see an issue running a CW fan and having the air come thru the screen and blowing over the trans pump. It's better than nothing once these fans aren't available anymore. 

https://www.rhsparts.com/Products/Fan-Blades

CW fan Refrigeration Hardware Supply # 29-060  (pitch looks close)   Currently $ 34

CCW Fan # 80-545  (less pitch than OE) $20  

ACman
Posted (edited)

That would be great Bob @rmaynard. Will also need hole size and spacing of the holes of the screen.

My brother had me source the screen and my other brother bent it up and cut it to match the original . This is for a  Allis Chalmers 5040 (Fiat) . Oliver used the same tractor but used the Fiat grill . These are repopped and available from Stiener’s but will fit on the Chalmers . They were made of Fiberglass and broke easily and finding a good one is like finding a unicorn . This grill had to be fiberglassed back together and the screen had a big hole in it . I wish I had a before pic .

IMG_0670_Original.jpeg.a6887d08991c976821eac8504880b5ac.jpeg

‘’that’s the battery behind the grill.

Edited by ACman

rmaynard
Posted (edited)

I will get you all the info. Give me a day to get it together.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1