peter lena

thought it was done

Sparky

I agree! Older appliances were built to last. 

• Like 2

lynnmor

I have an old well built Kitchenaid dishwasher that was made by Hobart.  Now I am to throw it away because the door gasket started leaking and there are no replacements on this planet.  The new business model is to overprice or eliminate spare parts so you have to buy new throw away appliances.

JoeM
30 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I agree! Older appliances were built to last. 

my parents had the same refrigerator for the twenty years I lived there, and it was well into the the 30 year mark and I think it may have finished up in the basement. go figure. 

peter lena

@lynnmor   you mean you cant  make a gasket ?  got a picture of that  gasket / area ? pete 

lynnmor
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

@lynnmor   you mean you cant  make a gasket ?  got a picture of that  gasket / area ? pete 

gasket wp4161631

02185043.jpg.080234581b1eced3d6b60add9e9283cc.jpg

Mickwhitt

Built in redundancy seems to be the order of the day. 

Plus the fact that modern gal's want the most up to date fancy looking kit in their homes. 

Plus the fact that modern manufacturing processes allow for thinner steel, less material etc so things don't last. You only have to look at car body panels to see that in action. 

20231101_150123.jpg.87c1c7b03883c81eee8f67accedf5a41.jpgMy mum with her new washing machine in the early 60's. I would bet my pension that if I could find it the thing would still be in working order, or could be repaired to be. 

Note we only had one cold tap, no hot water other than from a wall mounted gas fired geyser over the pot sink. We also had no indoor toilet or a bathroom. 

Seems a thousand years from what people expect as basic facilities these days. Lord knows how modern families would cope with what I grew up with, but I'm.sure my grandparents would have been saying the same thing when I was a nipper. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sparky
3 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

I just love anything Monty Python! 

• Like 1

peter lena

tunahead72
13 hours ago, lynnmor said:

gasket wp4161631

02185043.jpg.080234581b1eced3d6b60add9e9283cc.jpg

It's a long shot, but you might try trimlok.com, they might have something that would work for you.  They sell in long lengths on their website, but you can get shorter lengths from zoro and grainger, also on ebay and amazon.  Similar at McMaster.  I don't know what you would do about the metal clips.

--------

Must be busted dryer week, a friend and I have both been working on our dryers, both of us with broken belts.  Body hurt.

Handy Don
On 4/24/2024 at 5:52 PM, lynnmor said:

I have an old well built Kitchenaid dishwasher that was made by Hobart.  Now I am to throw it away because the door gasket started leaking and there are no replacements on this planet.  The new business model is to overprice or eliminate spare parts so you have to buy new throw away appliances.

I was shocked a while back that I could get replacements for the main pump and the “vent flap solenoid” (closes during sloshing to block noise) for our 25 yo Kenmore dishwasher. Even more shocked that they were $50 and $12, respectively.

The only suggestion I can offer is to see if you can adapt the gasket from a different model. On some, the places for the clips are molded in but on others, the gasket is continuous.

lynnmor
13 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The only suggestion I can offer is to see if you can adapt the gasket from a different model. On some, the places for the clips are molded in but on others, the gasket is continuous.

Yep, that's my problem.  We have a large well stocked appliance parts company in Lancaster, PA, the best they could come up with was to glue another brand in place and hope for the best.  The one he came out with was about twice as thick and I didn't think the door had a chance closing.

• Sad 1

Handy Don
28 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The one he came out with was about twice as thick and I didn't think the door had a chance closing.

Understood. The tolerances on these gaskets are pretty tight and solid vinyl isn’t very forgiving

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Understood. The tolerances on these gaskets are pretty tight and solid vinyl isn’t very forgiving

Currently I have a strip of rope caulk in the gasket where it leaks and it is down to an occasional drip.  My next trick may be to insert small surgical tubing all the way around to see if that is the answer.

• Like 1

Handy Don
5 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Currently I have a strip of rope caulk in the gasket where it leaks and it is down to an occasional drip.  My next trick may be to insert small surgical tubing all the way around to see if that is the answer.

Necessity is the....

Good luck! :)

• Like 1

peter lena

@lynnmor rarely ,  have a exact replacement for  an issue , regularly adapt to it , there is a  lighter , vinyl  truck door  edging  , that I have used for , W/H  hood edging , that worked out very well . hope you find it , Pete

2 lynnmor