cafoose

GT-14 running lean?

cafoose
Posted (edited)

I started my GT-14 yesterday and even after warming up it would stall if I pushed the choke all the way in. I tried adjusting the carb and I can't get it to run with the choke fully open. I closed both adjusting screws and backed them out 2 1/2 turns for initial adjustment. I removed and cleaned the carb not long ago and I think I installed a new throttle shaft bushing but I can't remember :eusa-think: Seems to run fine with the choke partially closed. I have fresh 100% pure gas in it.

Edited by cafoose

8ntruck

When the K321 in my 14-8 does that, a carb disassembly and cleaning has been the solution.

You might try spraying some car cleaner not the throttle shaft while it is running with the choke all the way in.  If that helps, you probably have an air leak there.

Another possibility would be a leak in the gasket between the carb and block.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

There may be something residual in the fuel bowl floating around too.  I’d suggest popping the bowl off and checking it out.  

Additionally, you could pull the air cleaner off, get it running as close to full throttle as possible and stick your hand over the intake fully a couple times.  The vacuum you place on the carb may help clean any partial blockage through after a couple trys.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JoeM
Posted (edited)

First make sure the fuel is making it to the carb and there are no restrictions and or an issue with the pump / filter / tank outlet / tank vent etc. 

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, cafoose said:

I removed and cleaned the carb not long ago and I .....

ALL new fuel line? 

Flush tank? 

Remove, disassemble, clean and rebuild fuel pump? 

• Thanks 1

ranger

My C121 did this the other day, As I needed to use it for towing a roller for a short while, I wound out the main jet adjustment and ran it. After a few minutes it started to run very rich, so I re-adjusted the carb, and it’s been okay since. It had been standing for a couple of months before though!

• Thanks 1

953 nut

This has worked for me on a couple of tractors. I know some people think Seafoam is snake-oil but it has worked for me. Remove the air filter, bring the engine up to full throttle then spray Seafoam Carburetor Cleaner until it just about stalls, let the smoke clear and do it again a couple times.       :unsure:     Make sure the EPA isn't watching, it puts off a LOT of white smoke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

ALL new fuel line? 

Flush tank? 

Remove, disassemble, clean and rebuild fuel pump? 

New fuel line, tank flushed, tried an electric pump but no change

• Like 1

cafoose

Thanks guys, all good suggestions. I'll try some and let you know when I get it fixed. Any more suggestions feel free to post :banana-wrench:

• Like 1

8ntruck

Please don't leave us hanging - let us know what you find.

• Like 2

cafoose
9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Of course I will :handgestures-thumbupright: I have other things going on at the moment and I don't need it right away so it may be a bit before I get to it. One of the things I need to get done is replacing a spindle and bearings on my 48 inch 520-HC deck before I need to mow again because it broke :bitch:

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: In other words, you are letting priorities get in the way - kind of like our associate in Maine with his project.  What was its name? Big? Huge? Col - something?

• Haha 4

cafoose

Just checked the throttle shaft and it seems like I didn't put bushings in that one :rolleyes: looks like I'm gonna put bushings in it and then re-evaluate :banana-wrench:

• Like 3

cafoose
On 4/24/2024 at 11:42 PM, 8ntruck said:

@JoeM @Pullstart @8ntruck I just found the needle in the haystack :handgestures-thumbupright: I found my 7/16 x 1/4 x 1/16 bronze bushings and my 3-48 screws and lock washers since moving three times and not seeing them since PA 2 1/2 years ago :banana-linedance: I disassembled and cleaned the carb with new throttle shaft bushings and it starts up and runs great :banana-wrench:

Edited by cafoose
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

1. Congrats on being able to find your parts box. I can lose those while working on a carb, box on the bench in front of me. 🙄

2. Glad to hear the GT is running well!

• Thanks 1