Cjwv1975

Engine High RPMs

Cjwv1975

Finished redoing a 74 C160. Engine was idling around 2000rpm but kind of got that worked out. But its running around 3600rpms at half thottle. I readjusted governor back to initial setting.  Is this a carb issue or governor issue. 

20240419_211304.jpg

20240419_211237.jpg

ebinmaine

As long as it does not go above 3,600 RPM you're fine.

The little tab that I have pointed out with a blue arrow is your RPM limiter.

As the arm, green arrow, swings back and forth, it contacts that tab stopping the upper RPM from increasing.

If it is too high, loosen the bolt head and tap the tab counterclockwise just a hair. Recheck. Repeat if necessary.

1214701394_Screenshot_20240420_095329_Chrome2.jpg.b5bea6fa80d9206de056f8560217eef1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Cjwv1975
25 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

As long as it does not go above 3,600 RPM you're fine.

The little tab that I have pointed out with a blue arrow is your RPM limiter.

As the arm, green arrow, swings back and forth, it contacts that tab stopping the upper RPM from increasing.

If it is too high, loosen the bolt head and tap the tab counterclockwise just a hair. Recheck. Repeat if necessary.

1214701394_Screenshot_20240420_095329_Chrome2.jpg.b5bea6fa80d9206de056f8560217eef1.jpg

I actually just reset governor and adjusted thottle cable and its all good. Idles around 1200 and tops out at 3500. Need a new muffler cause the one on it now sucks lol. Its so loud compared to my B100. Thanks for your reply

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@Cjwv1975  https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-leader-Return-Petrol-Aluminium-Accessories/dp/B07GYMDN4F/ref=asc_df_B07GYMDN4F/?tag=hyprod-2   noticing your fuel pump to carb / tank to fuel  pump vertical  runs , just a thought , to hold the fuel , vertically in place , for  start assistance . used these for years , shop around  for price . good @ebinmaine  advise on the tab , pete 

• Like 1

Cjwv1975
47 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Cjwv1975  https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-leader-Return-Petrol-Aluminium-Accessories/dp/B07GYMDN4F/ref=asc_df_B07GYMDN4F/?tag=hyprod-2   noticing your fuel pump to carb / tank to fuel  pump vertical  runs , just a thought , to hold the fuel , vertically in place , for  start assistance . used these for years , shop around  for price . good @ebinmaine  advise on the tab , pete 

Thanks have to pick a few of those up. I actually picked an electronic fuel pump but cant get myself to use it. Like the original.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Cjwv1975  also been  using , CARBOLE ELECTRIC , low pressure  FUEL pumps for years , on ignition switch, no issues , glad to have you on board , pete 

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Cjwv1975 said:

Thanks have to pick a few of those up. I actually picked an electronic fuel pump but cant get myself to use it. Like the original.

Agreed. 

On a 1974 the gas tank is above the fuel pump so there's at least a partial gravity feed. I've run a C160 with a weak fuel pump and had no issues. 

• Like 1