Jeff_ny

416h starting problems

Jeff_ny

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I have a '94 416h with the Onan p216 engine. It started very easily and ran great for most of last year. 

I let it set for maybe 2-3 weeks covered but outside and when I tried to start it in November, it would not. It would crank fine but just would never start. It would never even try... even with spraying starting fluid in the carb... nothing. So I would say it is not a fuel delivery issue. 

I replaced the ignition module, coii (which as you may know you can only find a somewhat suitable replacement), spark plugs, and it still seems to have weak spark. I'm just getting back into trying to get it started again and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. The previous owned did quite a hack job on the wiring for some reason, and I do see one suspect disconnected red wire that I'm not sure where it goes. I'll be investigating that and anything else I can think of this weekend. 

Regardless if that is the issue, I am going to try to re-wire it all back to factory original and I do have the schematic.

953 nut

peter lena

@ jeff-ny  those  ONANS  are noted for , multiple  wire connection issues , typically , cracked / shorted / chaffed , very poorly  done . would personally , replace / verify as you go , and change / eliminate  wire chafing / stress , also like wire CABLE RAP /  stick on  tye wrap areas , keep wiring cooler , you will find a lot of related issues on this site , correct / change as you go ,https://www.google.com/search?q=tie+wrap+mounts&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&oq=tye+wrap+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCQgCEAAYChiABDIGCAAQRRg5Mg  hunt around  for price /  availability ,  also like alligator  clip on wire , for  power testing . improve a failure area , don't  put it back the same way . pete    

lynnmor
7 hours ago, peter lena said:

those  ONANS  are noted for , multiple  wire connection issues , typically , cracked / shorted / chaffed , very poorly  done

Of course you could replace that troublesome Onan with a Kohler and all those "Onan problems" would just go away. :dance:

Oh, wait a minute,

all of those wires and connections would still be there.  :angry-screaming:

• Like 1

Jeff_ny

Thanks for the replies. Of course I haven't been able to get to it today. I will take @peter lena Peter's advice and trace/test all the wiring. 

@953 nut I honestly don't remember if I have spark or not. I think I did but it was super weak. 

As I understand it, there are safety switches that won't even let the engine turn over, and some that will but won't let it start. Is that correct? If so, which ones are the latter?

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Jeff_ny said:

As I understand it, there are safety switches that won't even let the engine turn over, and some that will but won't let it start. Is that correct? If so, which ones are the latter?

Download the Deymystification Guide and that will break down each system for easy troubleshooting.

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Jeff_ny said:

safety switches that won't even let the engine turn over, and some that will but won't let it start

Please don't assume that safety switches are the problem and start cutting them out. They are seldom a problem but people tend to butcher them and then hunt for the actual cause of a problem. :soapbox:     Take a look at the wiring for any obvious signs of wires being chewed on by rodents, they love covered up Wheel Horses and consider their wiring to be a delicacy.

I have attached the electrical demystification guide so you can see what needs to be operating properly for the ignition system to function during "START".as well as the Owner Manual. You may want to unhook the condenser from the ignition coil "+" terminal. If the condenser is failing it could draw down the voltage to the ignition coil resulting in weak spark.