953 nut

TRACTOR TRIVIA and other interesting stuff 4/18

953 nut

Tesla Tractors?

Famed inventor and physicist, Nikola Tesla worked for Allis-Chalmers in Milwaukee from 1919 to 1922.  He spent most of his time working on perfecting the Tesla turbine with Hans Dahlstrand, the head engineer at Allis. The Tesla steam turbine is a bladeless centripetal flow turbine patented by Nikola Tesla on October 21, 1913. It was his 100th patent.

Nozzles apply a moving fluid to the edges of a set of discs. The engine uses smooth discs rotating in a chamber to generate rotational movement due to the exchange of momentum between the fluid and the discs.

The Tesla turbine uses the boundary-layer effect, instead of the method employed by more conventional turbines, wherein a fluid acts on blades.

1517522825_teslaturbine.jpg.b9c6adab1ca74c018fbbb88ab039755d.jpg

1517522825_teslaturbine.jpg.b9c6adab1ca74c018fbbb88ab039755d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 3

Ed Kennell

Thanks for all the research you do Richard.       Having worked for Allis Chalmers developing hydro turbines for over 25 years and another 20 years after it was sold to Voith, I am really surprised that I have never heard of this Teslas steam turbine.         Most know Allis Chalmers for its farm and construction machinery  and are not aware of all the other divisions.

Proud to have been a part of developing most of the  hydro turbines on this rock.     When I retired, we had developed and model tested Franis Turbines(Hoover, Grand Coulee) and reversible pump turbines(Raccoon Mt., Three Gorges) in the 94-95 % efficiency range.   Allis-Chalmers - Wikipedia  Here is a link on the AC history.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Achto

3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

He spent most of his time working on perfecting the Tesla turbine with Hans Dahlstrand,

Interesting find for me after reading through this. Hans Peter Dahlstrand's final resting place.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/100201628/hans-peter-dahlstrand

This is only 7 miles from my house.

• Like 3