87 416-8 horse

1986 f150 fixer upper

87 416-8 horse
Posted (edited)

So far I’ve cleaned out the gas tanks, replaced rear tank sending unit, buffed it, cleaned up the wiring, installed HEI distributor, EFI split exhaust manifolds, and 2 barrel carb conversion. Im probably missing some things. 

My plans are to make a nice reliable truck to daily drive and enjoy. I still have a ways to go!

Edit, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas let me know!

Edited by 87 416-8 horse
  • Like 4

ebinmaine

Absolutely my favorite style of truck. 

Also my favorite engine. 

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JimSraj

Those inline 300 ci six cylinder engines were nearly indestructible if you just kept the oil changed. I’ve had 4 of them, mostly with 5 speeds behind them. Good on you for keeping one on the road. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, JimSraj said:

Those inline 300 ci six cylinder engines were nearly indestructible if you just kept the oil changed. I’ve had 4 of them, mostly with 5 speeds behind them. Good on you for keeping one on the road. 

I have my 4th F Series 300 now. 

If I recall correctly mine were:

1992 F150 2wd. 5 speed. Maroon. Step side 6 ft bed. 

1993 F150 2wd. HD rear suspension. Medium blue. 8 ft fleetside bed. 5 speed. 

1996 F150 2wd. Automatic. White. 8 ft fleetside bed. 

My current one is a 1986 F250 HD 4wd. 4 speed with Low 1st. 4:10 gears. Medium blue. 8 ft fleetside bed. 

There's a thread on here about this one too. Long term project I'm hoping to dedicate more time to this year. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

87 416-8 horse
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I have my 4th F Series 300 now. 

If I recall correctly mine were:

1992 F150 2wd. 5 speed. Maroon. Step side 6 ft bed. 

1993 F150 2wd. HD rear suspension. Medium blue. 8 ft fleetside bed. 5 speed. 

1996 F150 2wd. Automatic. White. 8 ft fleetside bed. 

My current one is a 1986 F250 HD 4wd. 4 speed with Low 1st. 4:10 gears. Medium blue. 8 ft fleetside bed. 

There's a thread on here about this one too. Long term project I'm hoping to dedicate more time to this year. 

I looked around and didn’t see anything. What’s the title of the topic on your project truck?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

I looked around and didn’t see anything. What’s the title of the topic on your project truck?

I'll go one better.  

Here's a link: 

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/93613-new-to-me-horse-and-other-stuff-hauler/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

@87 416-8 horse nice project!  I’m a bow tie guy myself, but all old iron needs lovin!

• Like 3

87 416-8 horse
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I'll go one better.  

Here's a link: 

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/93613-new-to-me-horse-and-other-stuff-hauler/

That’s an amazing looking truck!:thumbs: Practically new still. I forgot to mention that mine has 53k original miles. It spent about 75% of its life in AZ and NV

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

That’s an amazing looking truck!:thumbs: Practically new still. I forgot to mention that mine has 53k original miles. It spent about 75% of its life in AZ and NV

Thanks! 

I really like this particular truck because of the man who literally built it from the ground up... outta many trucks. .. to get HIS ideal rig.  

• Like 2

C-85

I may have missed it, but I didn't notice how many miles are on it, so that would be good to know.  I worked at a new car Ford/Mercury/Lincoln/Merkur/Heavy Truck dealer for 14 years.  I think the most popular vehicle that was sold was just like your truck!  I can't say enough good things about the 300 4.9L, which unfortunately was the end of their straight sixes :(.  I'm hoping that they don't use much (any) road salt in Nebraska and that rust won't be an issue.  At the dealership I worked at our 'push truck' (the truck we used to push dead vehicles in the shop with a big rubber faced front bumper on it) was this same truck, what a workhorse it was!  I hope you write about the progress!

C-85

• Like 2

87 416-8 horse
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, C-85 said:

I may have missed it, but I didn't notice how many miles are on it, so that would be good to know.  I worked at a new car Ford/Mercury/Lincoln/Merkur/Heavy Truck dealer for 14 years.  I think the most popular vehicle that was sold was just like your truck!  I can't say enough good things about the 300 4.9L, which unfortunately was the end of their straight sixes :(.  I'm hoping that they don't use much (any) road salt in Nebraska and that rust won't be an issue.  At the dealership I worked at our 'push truck' (the truck we used to push dead vehicles in the shop with a big rubber faced front bumper on it) was this same truck, what a workhorse it was!  I hope you write about the progress!

C-85

It has 53k original miles. Sadly Nebraska uses tons of salt. So the time it spent in Nebraska made it rust just a little bit. It has about a 4-5 inch hole in the floor and a bit in the rear of both box sides.:(

Edited by 87 416-8 horse
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, 87 416-8 horse said:
3 hours ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

It has about a 4-5 inch hole in the floor and a bit in the rear of both box sides

Luckily there are websites with pretty much whatever you want for this vintage truck. 

Plenty of replacement panels. 

• Like 1

87 416-8 horse
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Luckily there are websites with pretty much whatever you want for this vintage truck. 

Plenty of replacement panels. 

Yep, I got a replacement floor pan from summit racing for $45. I plan on fix the rust here soon.

• Like 1

Racinbob

That looks to be really solid and brought back memories. I bought a 1985 new with the 300 manual. I ordered it with the optional tow package. When I picked it up as I was walking in the dealer I overheard a couple sales guys talking outside and they said "there's that guy who ordered a 6 cylinder with a tow package". That truck pulled a 30' travel trailer all over with no problem. I bought another new F-150 in 1997 after driving the 85 368k miles with only a rocker arm cover gasket and a water pump giving out. It was still in pristine condition. a couple years ago our daughter sent me this thinking it looked like my old truck. Well, yes it does because it IS my truck. I was kinda sad to see the body rot. She didn't say what they were asking for it or how many miles were now on it. I might have been tempted. :D

653560014_85F150.jpg.da3591af64f3792a67b2d858a26d3350.jpg

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I bought a 1985 new with the 300 manual. I ordered it with the optional tow package. When I picked it up as I was walking in the dealer I overheard a couple sales guys talking outside and they said "there's that guy who ordered a 6 cylinder with a tow package". That truck pulled a 30' travel trailer all over with no problem

There's an interesting and very incorrect, downright ignorant mindset by a lot of folks I read/speak to regarding the 300/6. 

They "ass-ume" that because it's not an 8 or a diesel or both it's inferior. 

These are folks that have obviously never owned a six that was set up well. 

Ford stats from 1985 and 1986 give the Tow Capacity for 300/6 as equal to the big block 460ci, and superior to both small blocks, 302 and 351. 

The looks on some faces when I inform them....

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Rick3478

I've owned these in both 300 and 240 inch, and agree they are good engines.  I've always believed the reputation for indestructibility was at least partly because Ford didn't put on a big enough carburetor to over-rev easily.  So yes you can make more power with a bigger carb, but you'll have to spin it faster and it may hurt low end driveability.  Make it your own, but I don't recommend messing with the carb. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
47 minutes ago, Rick3478 said:

I've owned these in both 300 and 240 inch, and agree they are good engines.  I've always believed the reputation for indestructibility was at least partly because Ford didn't put on a big enough carburetor to over-rev easily.  So yes you can make more power with a bigger carb, but you'll have to spin it faster and it may hurt low end driveability.  Make it your own, but I don't recommend messing with the carb. :twocents-02cents:

To an extent I agree.... but it isn't ALL about the carb. 

These engines are very much about low end torque. 

I've read and spoken to quite a few folks over the years that believe the upper RPM limit to keep excellent long-term reliability on these big sixes is around 4500 to 5000 RPM. 

Even with a large 2BBL or small 4BBL carb you simply can't spin a 300 because of the lack of breathability. 

Modifications must be made to the ENTIRE air flow system. 

• Like 1

Rick3478
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

These engines are very much about low end torque. 

I've read and spoken to quite a few folks over the years that believe the upper RPM limit to keep excellent long-term reliability on these big sixes is around 4500 to 5000 RPM.

While we're at it, might as well put in a plug for rotating mass.  More crankshaft per cylinder compared to Vee engines tends toward very smooth extended low speed operation.  You can almost just let out the clutch and apply throttle afterward.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Rick3478 said:

While we're at it, might as well put in a plug for rotating mass.  More crankshaft per cylinder compared to Vee engines tends toward very smooth extended low speed operation. 

Excellent point! 

3 minutes ago, Rick3478 said:

You can almost just let out the clutch and apply throttle afterward.

I've definitely done this. MANY times. 

Having a long history with Heavy Duty trucks.. that's how we drive them big diesels.  

Clutch out ..THEN touch the accelerator. 

I figured I'd try it with the 300. 

Gotta take your time but it works great. 

• Like 1

Racinbob

It's all about the crazy torque the 300 had. No need to modify. I left mine stock with the one hole carb. I did make the mistake of letting the differential ratio slip past me and it wasn't good. It was in the 2.xx range but I  don't remember the exact number. I could have ordered it with a 4.11 but I didn't like that with the low rpm 6. I ended up putting a 3.73 in it. I had the manual od tranny (that killed the factory tow rating big time but I ignored that) so I had better control of the rpm. There's some pretty good climbs between here and Florida, mainly on US24 and I could hold my speed (and a minimum of 5" of vacuum) in high gear (not od)as long as I could maintain 3000 rpm. If something caused me to lose that I had to gear down. 3000 rpm was definitely the sweet spot. Anything over that really did nothing. :)

• Like 2

87 416-8 horse
Posted (edited)

The main reason I did a 2 barrel swap was to get rid of all the emission and it runs better with the 2 barrel. It will also be a bit better because I plan on installing a mild cam.

Edited by 87 416-8 horse
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

The main reason I did a 2 barrel swap was to get rid of all the emission and it runs better with the 2 barrel. It will also be a bit better because I plan on installing a mild cam.

From what I've been reading the additions/ changes you've made with the HEI distributor and carb are quite a positive towards drivability. 

Eliminating the tie-in from the carb, distributor, and computer and all their sensors is a good upgrade. Add to that the increased vacuum from the smaller venturis of a medium to large 2bbl or small 4bbl and that's a second win. 

I'll be doing a pile of performance upgrades on mine as well. Cam being a big one. 

For many years I've wanted a really aggressive "lumpy" idle. My truck has the manual transmission and deep gears to tolerate one so I'll be installing a cam that's about as big as a street 300 wants. 

If you haven't already purchased your own cam kit, keep in mind the 300 has a history of being pretty tolerant of a decent increase. Particularly in a manual transmission vehicle. 

There are bunches of YT videos showing off the idle of a big six. 

NOTE ON THE CAM SUPPLIER:

Research QUALITY very carefully. 

I've been out of the auto industry for better than a decade. It seems there have been some serious issues in the camshaft business. 

• Excellent 1

87 416-8 horse
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

From what I've been reading the additions/ changes you've made with the HEI distributor and carb are quite a positive towards drivability. 

Eliminating the tie-in from the carb, distributor, and computer and all their sensors is a good upgrade. Add to that the increased vacuum from the smaller venturis of a medium to large 2bbl or small 4bbl and that's a second win. 

I'll be doing a pile of performance upgrades on mine as well. Cam being a big one. 

For many years I've wanted a really aggressive "lumpy" idle. My truck has the manual transmission and deep gears to tolerate one so I'll be installing a cam that's about as big as a street 300 wants. 

If you haven't already purchased your own cam kit, keep in mind the 300 has a history of being pretty tolerant of a decent increase. Particularly in a manual transmission vehicle. 

There are bunches of YT videos showing off the idle of a big six. 

NOTE ON THE CAM SUPPLIER:

Research QUALITY very carefully. 

I've been out of the auto industry for better than a decade. It seems there have been some serious issues in the camshaft business. 

I’m planning on going with the comp cam 248  COMP Cams K66-248-4 High Energy Hydraulic Camshaft Kit, Ford 240/300

Or the 268. I’m still working on some research.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

I went just a hair bigger,  AND with a tighter lobe separation angle for a more rowdy idle... but I'm "special".

:lol:

• Excellent 1