CRF857

Stuck towing valve

CRF857

Anyone have an easy fix for a stuck towing valve?

Recently acquired a 1277 and cannot budge the towing valve.

IMG_1046.jpeg

IMG_1047.jpeg

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:            Wow, I never had a problem with that type tow valve.       Did you try to loosen the large nut?

lynnmor

There is no evidence that you are soaking it with penetrating oil.

• Like 1

CRF857
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:            Wow, I never had a problem with that type tow valve.       Did you try to loosen the large nut?

It turns about 60 Degrees and stops.

CRF857
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

There is no evidence that you are soaking it with penetrating oil.

It is at this moment

moe1965

I took some sticky adhesive like modeling  clay and made a welll with it  on the bottom so penetrating oil could sit in it i used aerokroil or kroils oil  also let it sit for a few days it backed out with very little effort.   Before doing that I used a little heat which I really didn't want to do and everything thing else I could think of with no results.    Don't force it it could get ugly.  Good luck keep us informed 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger
6 hours ago, CRF857 said:

Anyone have an easy fix for a stuck towing valve?

Recently acquired a 1277 and cannot budge the towing valve.

IMG_1046.jpeg

IMG_1047.jpeg

my neighbor placed a larger vice grips pliers  on the value and drive it around for a couple weeks and it loosened up!  Sounds like the easiest , unstressful way to getting I

it back in good operating shape! 

peter lena

@CRF857  ever heard of KROIL OIL ?  get some and get in in the turn point , so it sits flush with the  top of the nut , let it sit , a day or two , like a small pipe wench , 10 inch , and a steel pipe convincer  , on the wrench , just the solid leverage , should easily move that . let the kroil do the work . pete

• Thanks 1

daveoman1966

Use a crescent wrench to remove the entire valve.  Clean it up and refit as shown here.  Be sure the black O-ring and the white Split ring are useable.   PS--the tow valve STEM will turn 360 degrees.     

223 043.JPG

223 045.JPG

223 044a.jpg

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

wfrpalm
15 hours ago, CRF857 said:

It turns about 60 Degrees and stops.

Isn't that all it is supposed to turn?

CRF857
1 hour ago, wfrpalm said:

Isn't that all it is supposed to turn?

The nut would only turn about 60*. The shaft not at all.

pfrederi
Posted (edited)

Turn the nut as far as you can and then start soaking.  Give it time couple of days.  Heat would be a last ditch effort as it will probably damage the O ring and backer. As mentioned above the valve will turn 360

The O rings are Dash#113  the backer ring is available from McMaster but you have to buy 50...

Edited by pfrederi

peter lena

@pfrederi  also like a super lube on the o rings , temp range /  chemically  correct for application . https://www.zoro.com/super-lube-4-oz-hydraulic-oil-bottle-68-iso-viscosity-80w-sae-52004/i/G2272326/?   local H/W  store , made for hydraulic  applications , note temp range , terrific in / on  cable slide applications , pete 

gwest_ca

Any heat should cause the cast iron case to expand and hopefully allow a penetrant in.

Have a hot air heat gun or hair drier? Will take longer but will not overheat.

• Like 2

daveoman1966

As I've shown, that 'nut' is just a COLLAR of the Valve BODY.  Unscrew that COLLAR against the ROLL PIN, then unscrew that valve body some more, then the collar...until the entire valve body is removed.   

PUSH VALVE.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

CRF857
9 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

Use a crescent wrench to remove the entire valve.  Clean it up and refit as shown here.  Be sure the black O-ring and the white Split ring are useable.   PS--the tow valve STEM will turn 360 degrees.     

223 043.JPG

223 045.JPG

223 044a.jpg

First of all thanks for the images of the valve. I was apprehensive about what was going on in that corner now that I know what it’s like underneath I will get it unstuck eventually right now the nut is completely loose but the valve itself will still not turn. I’m still soaking it and trying every so often with some pressure. 

IMG_1052.jpeg

IMG_1051.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi

Time is your friend

squonk

Tap lightly on the outside of the case where that valve is (to set up vibration ) and spray some more. Old plumbing trick to loosen stuck pipe threads.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Had this unit sat for a long time???  Thinking tow valve is about the high point of the system.  Over time fluid drained down and some condensation formed around the barrel of the valve creating rust.  As other have said this  is not a tow valve that seizes up very often.  In any event a cpmplete drain an refill of the hydro when u get the valve out is in order. 

CRF857

Applied a little too much pressure to the valve, and snapped the roll pln. Removed the rest of the pin and the nut.

The nut is completely off and the valve does not move.

Still soaking.

IMG_1053.jpeg

pfrederi

Soak and time do not rush this...Took a long tome to get stuck going to take more to get unstuck.

• Like 2

pfrederi

Tap it on end with a hammer occasionally

• Like 1

CRF857

Still stuck.  Have been soaking and tapping on it.

For some reason it is in there solid.

• Like 1

moe1965

Don't give up keep soaking.  Put a little 6 in pipe rench on it put some tension on it and tap the end  of the toe valve.  Do it both  ways 

CRF857

Still soaking and applying pressure. Still stuck!

• Sad 1