ebinmaine

Anyone use a Wheelhorse in very tall thick grass?

lynnmor
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Have I ever mentioned how much of a cheapskate Trina is?

Maybe this would be in the right price range?

109589eb-4d4e-4e8e-9b52-e744c5ac7726.png.c7b31d13fe8874ab7ffdf80945c2e612.png

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

My thought for this year was to use the very elevated Cinnamon Horse C160 to get the tall grass into submission. 

Be sure to adjust the nose of the deck just slightly lower for blade relief. If level or leaning back, the blades are cutting all the way around. It definitely places higher load on everything, and causes RPM droop more often. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Maybe this would be in the right price range?

109589eb-4d4e-4e8e-9b52-e744c5ac7726.png.c7b31d13fe8874ab7ffdf80945c2e612.png

You're closer than you know.........

Wheelhorse Parts Department: 

20240328_194048.jpg.9c7b1ca63cd3a6286765955e561ef25a.jpg

Closer......

20240328_194058.jpg.77cd9ea888e374ad7885f1117348fcda.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

WHGuy413

So one thing I’ve noticed when I cut tall thick grass with my wheel horses vs my zero turn at work is blade speed. The blade speed on the WH is slower and it leaves a bunch of random tall pieces sticking up. I have run mine with the lift arm all the way up several times then slowly dropped it down with each pass. It can be done it just may not be fast.

with the idea of a deflector angled down this would help keep things from flying through the air but it also will create a thick windrow of clippings. If you make a second pass this windrow will have to be taken into consideration. 

• Like 3

davem1111
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, lynnmor said:

A_Z Tractor has one on a 312 for sale on eBay.  It's only money. :-D

Ouch! Well, $1500 for the whole tractor with that on it, with a deck... doesn't seem unreasonable if you need the tractor and deck (but I don't...) :ROTF:

So.... I'm thinking, how hard would it be to fab up something like that?  Seems like the hardest part would be re-directing the belt. I wonder if the standard mule could be used, just take the guard off and thread the belts the opposite way. Hmmmm....  I've wanted to get a sickle bar but haven't found one, and I have acres of fields with grass 2" or more tall (dead brown grass from last year).  Maybe it would be a worthwhile project, instead of renting a tractor and brush hog or a walk-behind, which is what I've been considering. (I used to borrow a neighbor's Ford Jubilee with 5' brush hog, but he put steel lugged wheels on the back after having multiple flats from locust trees, so now I can't take it down the road). :crying-yellow:

Oh, I just noticed that the Fleabay ad says this:  "If you want to purchase just one of the items we can sell them individually."    Wonder if he means he'd sell just the front bracket without the deck? :eusa-think:

Edited by davem1111
info from eBay ad
  • Like 1

Lee1977
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Have I ever mentioned how much of a cheapskate Trina is?

So you want Trina to buy it for you.

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

So you want Trina to buy it for you.

Absolutely! 

• Like 2

ranger
Posted (edited)

I’ve cut very tall DRY grass in the hay field with my 312-12 with 42” s/d deck with the deck in the raised position🙀. I was once given a Westwood D1200 ride on by a relative, this had a 42” cut. It had twin discs with short pivoting blades, like a full size drum or disc mower for hay cutting. This would cut any length grass with no trouble. I’ve also found in the past, the pedestrian lawn mowers with this type of blade arrangement have far less issues with long grass than those with a single straight blade. I wonder if something like this would work fitted to a Wheelhorse R/D deck? The Westwood had a Lombardini diesel engine of , 6 or 7 hp? 

Edited by ranger
  • Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Eric how large of an area are we talking about? Maybe when the snow is gone a weed waker with a brush blade to start with?

• Like 1

Blasterdad
8 hours ago, davem1111 said:

So.... I'm thinking, how hard would it be to fab up something like that?  Seems like the hardest part would be re-directing the belt. I wonder if the standard mule could be used, just take the guard off and thread the belts the opposite way. Hmmmm....

I have one, it uses an idler pulley in the mid Tach-A-Matic like a rototiller...

• Like 2

Racinbob

I've done it many times over the years. Mainly blazing new trails. Not just tall grass but stuff a brush cutter is made for. Usually I don't hit it first with the deck in the up transport position but I'll have the adjuster in the highest position. Often times the grass/weeds are taller than the tractor and don't have a chance to raise back up into the blades. After the first pass I mow it again in the opposite direction. In some cases I mow about 10' then back up over what I just mowed. Even though my decks are side discharge doing that really gets aggressive. You're not going to get it pretty right away. Just regular mowings over a few weeks and it comes around. Sharp blades? Nah. Mowing that stuff will take the edge right off in just a few feet, I'll actually wait until after a few lawn mowings and I'm wanting to sharpen the blades. :)

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Retired Wrencher said:

Eric how large of an area are we talking about? Maybe when the snow is gone a weed waker with a brush blade to start with?

We have a medium sized Echo gas powered trimmer. 

Trina researched  several different types of blades and cutters. 

What she finds works best is a triple swing blade attachment. But it's not powerful enough for continuous use and the blades are not strong enough to keep shape in super thick areas. 

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

pretty

Looking good like a lawn doesn't matter at all. We just want to keep the area more passable for walking and machinery and prevent regrowth of the taller weeds and grasses. 

SylvanLakeWH

Just cut it and keep it mowed every month or two... or three... it's pretty straightforward... :twocents-twocents:

Idea... Get Colossus going and use it. great photo op of that hood ornament plowing through the impenetrable unknown...

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Idea... Get Colossus going and use it. great photo op of that hood ornament plowing through the impenetrable unknown...

Love ♥️ the "Colossal" idea but that won't be a mower. 

It could PULL one though.....

• Like 2

Keith of kent

More long weeds rather than grass but it went through it . 73 Raider 12 with 36" RD deck

DSC_0151.JPG

• Excellent 4

8ntruck

I bought a 42" RD from @Pullstart a few years back.  If I remember correctly, he sent me a picture of the deck on a tractor in the middle of 12" to 18" tall grass with a cut swath behind it.

I distinctly remember digging lots of that long grass out of the deck when I got it home.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1