jsp_333

Duallies & Adapters

jsp_333

Finally got a second set of ags for my '58 and am wondering why you don't just bolt the two wheels together.

I mean they make adapters for a reason. 

Is there some engineering / mechanical reason for the adapters.  Is it an axle thing?

I know duallies are to help support a tractor but in my case they are really just for show. 

I use the tractor when there is just an inch or so of snow on the ground and don't need to haul out the blower and tractor.

Rick3478
21 minutes ago, jsp_333 said:

why you don't just bolt the two wheels together.

I mean they make adapters for a reason. 

Is there some engineering / mechanical reason for the adapters.

Trying to figure exactly what you mean ...

By "just bolt the two wheels together", you are referring to the four square holes in the dish, sometimes used to mount weights?

In doing that, you have four bolts about 7 inches long pulling the rims together, but what keeps the outer from getting knocked sideways?

You need something to keep the outer centered on the axle rotation axis.

Two common ways to do this.

A ring that sits inside the outer lip of the rims and the bolts keep it trapped, using the lip for alignment.

- or -

A cubic cage of tubes for the bolts to go through, using the holes for alignment.

Does that make sense, or did I miss the intent of the question altogether?

• Like 1

wallfish

Just my opinion but I wouldn't put duals on one of those 3 piece transmissions like a RJ or Suburban. They have enough trouble with those little axle tubes bending up just with the normal tires and the rider's weight. Adding more length and more leverage to bend them could result in trans issues.  :twocents-02cents:

Leave the outside tires at 0 air pressure. 

And yeah, just pinching 2 rims together won't hold them steady.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

jsp_333

Thanks guys.  You've save me an afternoon of pointless effort.  I'll see about the outer lip ring thing.  12inch pipe is proving harder to source than I would've thought.

wallfish
59 minutes ago, jsp_333 said:

Thanks guys.  You've save me an afternoon of pointless effort.  I'll see about the outer lip ring thing.  12inch pipe is proving harder to source than I would've thought.

12" PVC pipe is expensive too. You can find ring spacers on epay. Miller tire sells them. Ask them or look up the correct rims because the bolt lengths are accordingly. But still don't recommend for those transmissions

https://www.ebay.com/itm/350099069962?itmmeta=01HT0KF53213YVZYG2JRN3YWAS&hash=item518387dc0a:g:VhAAAOSwEehbMOxr&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8HNwCL6aJrz2qexTRbPFJNWFgAYKt2z1yMzm%2FW4VmrjMpDMWpkFbC%2BRelbY0blzAIQ%2FLpgg1%2FbF5Xcn5YTs2wS6ET2XioxOVoeG6kkC%2BtcMOyMim2Osgevs8%2BrN5f3TvbtXZht6IagwAzhC7UgQ%2BvKV39xAqwLGCG%2BDlZQ%2FUjkaGNvyYMEmrGXKM9LupZBzS3qpqnT%2BcKgDW%2FCgu0p9dRo0S6VxJU3bba3kuzsu39e%2FC4fRajdpQIVCiQXx0dsyO5%2Fu6G2fqZtDTmEJUrQwacqmXqoVRkGAHfscsCjeWlL0BvI8JqEz9F9pv7RzJd0rRkQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9bRvJPQYw

Achto
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jsp_333 said:

Is there some engineering / mechanical reason for the adapters.  Is it an axle thing?

Having a space between the tires gives them the ability to shed dirt, (Well.. maybe not wet clay:lol:.)

It also keeps the side walls of the tires from rubbing against each other causing premature failure. This may not be a big factor on a low speed garden tractor, but it is certainly a factor on a dually that runs down the road. Seen this first hand when some one put too wide of tires on their dually pick up, chewed the side walls up in no time.

I also give a word of caution to running duals on a 3 piece tranny. The axle tubes on my 400 Suburban show cruiser started to sag with just one set of 23 10.50 x 12 tires. Had to realign the axle tubes and add gussets.

Edited by Achto

Pullstart

I’ve got about 6’ of 12” PVC pipe…

• Excellent 1

Sparky
On 3/27/2024 at 8:15 PM, Pullstart said:

I’ve got about 6’ of 12” PVC pipe…

This is the best way to do it. My tractor in these pics has the more stout Unidrive trans, so it should be able to handle duals without an issue. Not to mention I just putt around shows with it, never sees any real work. 

IMG_8866.jpeg

IMG_8865.jpeg

IMG_8879.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

@Pullstart has the 12" pvc pipe I used... and the tractor!

IMG_0771.jpeg

IMG_0773.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

• Haha 1