Diesel Actual

Idler pulley Bearing

Diesel Actual

I need to switch the bearings in this idler puller. Is anybody know what size bearing it is? I have looked all over the site and can’t find anything about switching bearings in a idler puller.its from a 500 special 

IMG_0137.jpeg

76c12091520h

That is not a bearing that you would normally replace, you would buy a whole new pulley assembly. The pulley can be drilled apart where the 6 rivets are and then the bearing could be removed if you wanted to go that route.....find a new bearing based on measurements or the the numbers on the side of the bearings, and then come come up with hardware to reassemble the pulley.

• Thanks 1

JoeM

Like 76c said the best way is to remove and measure the bearing and get the numbers. Either drill or slice. There is nothing to precise about those stamped pulleys other than they are way over priced.

I like making slices in the housing and pressing out the bearing cause it takes much less time and requires no fasteners. Some drill out the rivets or spot weld and replace with bolts. 

Just a guess, that is a 1 3/8 od bearing with a 5/8 bore.???

Slicing technique. 

image.png.27327f768e054dfc987496752b0a8a4a.png

Diesel Actual

I guess I just buy a new one.  I had a feeling I would have to remove rivets.  Such an odd design . Thank you 

Lee1977
Posted (edited)

The brarings can be relaced, it's not an easy job on the vee idlers they are also welded in the groove. The flat idlers are a lot easer most are now spot welded together, just drill out the spot welds.

I drill a smal reference betweeh the spot welds first as the holes are going to be a little off.  

SAM-0970.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

This is what I see for the 1623

V-idler pulley - 3.062" OD - 1623 replaced by 92-7102 (Generic 1614ZZ bearing Used in belt idler for 5-2321 deck) 3.0625" OD x .375" ID

• Like 1

Lane Ranger
Posted (edited)

SAVE those old Older pulleys.   One of our Red Square members rebuilds those and does and excellent job,   He replaces the bearing, puts new rivets and cleans up the pulley metal for a very reasonable price.   The new pulleys are $25 to $35 each.   

Michael Prondzinskit in Minnesota rebuilds the old idles and does and excellent job.    He can only redo the rivets ones.

53292583-3FAE-432D-9558-E35A78572676.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger

Diesel Actual

eBay has new ones for 15 bucks. It looks like these are going in the garbage and I’m just buying on eBay.

peter lena

@Diesel Actual   while I agree on the rebuilding /  nothing mentioned on a  CLEAN OUT AND RE GREASE , the wide rubber side shields are easy to remove on bearings , small flat pocket screwdriver / small flat putty knife , on a new bearing , wipe out the , crap thats in there , use a hi temp / stress , grease , Lucas marine grease , is a 550 + deg . flash point , thats what you want to , make the pully swap , bombproof , BTW  , the added bearing drag , also eats clutch facings , should be able to , move assembly , by hand , from the PTO  drive belt starting point , easily . that is showing  / telling you what you  are hoping to move , just a suggestion .. pete 

• Like 1

rjg854
1 hour ago, Diesel Actual said:

eBay has new ones for 15 bucks. It looks like these are going in the garbage and I’m just buying on eBay.

Don't throw them away, send them to 

2 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Michael Prondzinskit

I'm think he'd appreciate it.  

@prondzy PM him or maybe he'll message you

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1