oliver2-44

Six Speed Axels, Usable or Junk

oliver2-44
Posted (edited)

I have a six speed transmission I hope to revive.  

It's hard finding "perfect" parts when redoing these old tractors.

Would you use them?

On the 7202 the bearing area (bright area) measures 1.120 and other parts of the axle measure 1.125, also you can see roller marks/stains in the bearing area.

This picture is after I polished it some on a buffing wheel with white rouge.  There is also a line in the seal area that barely catches a fingernail.

1552554174_IMG_10291.JPG.f5ce760fa9ad65b9d9552ac67e04f766.JPG

The bearing area on this 7203 axle measures 1.125 just like the rest of the axle, so that's good

But it has the some rust pitting on just one area like that was the bottom it was resting on.  I can just feel the pitting with my fingernail, but cant "catch" on it.

I think I can polish the bearing area some with fine emery, then my buffing wheel.  Bu I don't think all of the fine pitting will polish out.  So just the pitting in one area of the axle is the question 

971872132_IMG_10301.JPG.bccc9f108e55567d85fc5a7b5aba42ef.JPG

Here an overall picture.

1065811392_IMG_10311.JPG.66f79662e8ee0ffa6dcdf1ec987fc7ea.JPG

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

ebinmaine

What's the realistic intended use of this machine? 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Well, I think you know that I would use them.  Here is the thought behind that statment...first, the bearing turns between the axel and the housing, the axel will be fine if it turns a little in the bearing...second, those look pretty good.  Use them and look for new ones.  You could also have them sprey welded and turned, then they are new.  I think you would be fine with those Jim.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Well, I think you know that I would use them.   

That's the line I was on too.  

The only way I'd have concern is if that was gonna be a HD worker.  

• Like 2

oliver2-44
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

What's the realistic intended use of this machine? 

This will be probable be a general worker, mowing, a little dirt work, possible a plow day. 

@stevasaurus  With the  7202 axle already worn .005 undersized at the bearing area is that enough that seal leakage could be a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

stevasaurus

I think the seal would be OK.  You would not believe how bad some of the axles were that Lane had with all his RJ58s, and none of them leaked.  The rubber in the seal should cover your tolerance.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Thanks, Ill continue to gather parts for this rebuild.

• Like 1

kpinnc

I know that pictures sometimes look better than reality- but I've used much uglier axles than those with no issue. 

I've seen similar "bearing marks" like that on a deck spindle (had sat for years behind a barn), and they can get noisy. The speed difference on axles should be enough that damage shouldn't occur so long as the bearings are good, and you keep the oil up. 

• Like 2

Wayne0
On 3/20/2024 at 7:34 PM, oliver2-44 said:

This will be probable be a general worker, mowing, a little dirt work, possible a plow day. 

@stevasaurus  With the  7202 axle already worn .005 undersized at the bearing area is that enough that seal leakage could be a problem. 

It's not like they're spinning at 3000+ RPMs. If the seal holds, I wouldn't worry about the bearing unless you plan on keeping it for 40+ years. (who knows?)

• Like 2