87 416-8 horse

Front end loader plans or designs

87 416-8 horse

I’m thinking about building a front end loader for a c series or a 400 series. I’m looking for a shopping list or plans so I can figure what all the hydraulic would cost and for some ideas. 
Thanks

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Peruse this site: 

https://www.loaderplans.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill

Also, @wallfish has built one, as @ebinmaine has the one he sold. Both should be able to advise on the do's and don'ts.

FYI - the price of steel has shot up about 1/3 more than a year or two ago.      maybe better to look for one that is used, not used up.

Bill

• Thanks 1

87 416-8 horse
19 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Peruse this site: 

https://www.loaderplans.com/

Thanks, I’ll have to check them out.

• Like 1

87 416-8 horse
1 minute ago, ri702bill said:

Also, @wallfish has built one, as @ebinmaine has the one he sold. Both should be able to advise on the do's and don'ts.

FYI - the price of steel has shot up about 1/3 more than a year or two ago.      maybe better to look for one that is used, not used up.

Bill

I’ve looked around on marketplace and Craigslist and I can’t seem to find any that’ll fit or any around me. Thanks

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Bill

This is the wonderful machine Trina and I got from @wallfish

He added a factory implement front end loader and hand built the whole Backhoe and its frame. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

87 416-8 horse
43 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

This is the wonderful machine Trina and I got from @wallfish

He added a factory implement front end loader and hand built the whole Backhoe and its frame. 

That’s a sweet rig!:handgestures-thumbup:

• Thanks 1

wallfish
Posted (edited)

Search the files on here for some free basic loader plans.

But if you want good professional plans,  PFEngineering.com  It will save you a bunch of time and guessing or trial and error. Modify them to your needs if necessary. We can help with the sub-frame for a WH

(That's the plans that were used for building the hoe.)

Found it

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

sergeant
Posted (edited)

Well Besides PF engineering

There are also CAD Plans https://cadplans.com/collections/loaders I have seen a few Of the CAD Plans  Model 507 and 907 Built for  IH Cub Cadet, Bolens and Gilson :handgestures-thumbupleft:

507 001.jpg

Edited by sergeant
  • Thanks 1

OoPEZoO
Posted (edited)

I bought the PF Engineering plans a few months ago with the intent of building a FEL for my 522xi.  I have a plan in place and I'm ready to go buy the steel I need for my subframe as soon as I get a free 5mins.  The plans have been helpful, but my only complaint is that you get one set of paper plans and notes.  It's a shame they haven't improved to watermarked PDFs or something.  That being said.....Between the plans and the people/resources here that have already built or refurbished a FEL on similar tractors, I believe that it is all very doable.  I scoured FB marketplace and CL for months looking for a used one that I could adapt.  Most of them had OK steel but the hydraulics were usually all trashed (which is the expensive part of the build).  I found a few that may have worked, but the cost was about the equivalent of building my own and I think the real end goal of what I want is to have the experience of building it myself.

Best of luck on your build.  Make sure to take pics and share as you go :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by OoPEZoO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JCM

These Kwik-Way loaders show up for sale once in a while used. This one pictured was on a brand new late model 520-H that the owner passed away. His widow called the WH Dealer to buy back the complete package, tractor, loader and weight box with 30 hours on it. It was never mowed with. I was fortunate to get a call from the dealer asking if I was interested. My response was when can you deliver it. Served me well for light duty for many years and had it on both 520's , 417-8 and a C-165. It was sold to a member on Red Square. Only reason I sold it was that I needed a larger, heavy duty machine for the new property.  Good Luck in your search        @87 416-8 horse

img20200729_18493235.jpg

P1012410.JPG

P1012445.JPG

P1012449.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

sergeant

Kiwk-Way Loaders were probably the best aftermarket Loader.  

87 416-8 horse. I hope You have more than one tractor, Just because most of these Pump driven mounted Loaders end up making the tractor a more full-time loader tractor. Because changeover is not very fast compared to a tractor that has its own on-board Hydraulic system to power the loader, as most of those tractors also have a walk-on-walk-off loader.. I wish Kwik-way had also made and aftermarket power steering kit for the Wheel Horse tractors like Brantly did for several tractor brands in the 1970s and early 1980s:handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

JCM
11 minutes ago, sergeant said:

I wish Kwik-way had also made and aftermarket power steering kit for the Wheel Horse tractors like Brantly did for several tractor brands in the 1970s and early 1980s:handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-yeahthat:     :thumbs:

• Like 2

sergeant
1 minute ago, JCM said:

:text-yeahthat:     :thumbs:

I have 3 loader tractors currently: 1 compact tractor with Power steering OEM loader, 1 Garden tractor with Power steering OEM loader, 1 Garden tractor with Manual steering, and a Kwik-way loader (which gets used the least for heavy loader work due to the lack of power steering) :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 3

JCM
5 minutes ago, sergeant said:

I have 3 loader tractors currently: 1 compact tractor with Power steering OEM loader, 1 Garden tractor with Power steering OEM loader, 1 Garden tractor with Manual steering, and a Kwik-way loader (which gets used the least for heavy loader work due to the lack of power steering) :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I feel your pain on the lack of power steering on the 520-H with forward swept front axle and power steering it's bearable .That was another reason for putting it up for sale. Went another route, diesel tractor with power steering.  :thumbs:

• Like 3

sergeant
1 minute ago, JCM said:

I feel your pain on the lack of power steering on the 520-H with forward swept front axle and power steering it's bearable .That was another reason for putting it up for sale. Went another route, diesel tractor with power steering.  :thumbs:

My Loader tractors  our a  Diesel Compact and a Diesel  Garden tractor and a Gasoline air cooled Briggs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 3

87 416-8 horse
1 hour ago, sergeant said:

Kiwk-Way Loaders were probably the best aftermarket Loader.  

87 416-8 horse. I hope You have more than one tractor, Just because most of these Pump driven mounted Loaders end up making the tractor a more full-time loader tractor. Because changeover is not very fast compared to a tractor that has its own on-board Hydraulic system to power the loader, as most of those tractors also have a walk-on-walk-off loader.. I wish Kwik-way had also made and aftermarket power steering kit for the Wheel Horse tractors like Brantly did for several tractor brands in the 1970s and early 1980s:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now I have two horses, 416-8 and a 518-h. If I build a loader then I’ll pick one up from the junk yard I go to. Most likely be an old c series.

sergeant
19 minutes ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

Now I have two horses, 416-8 and a 518-h. If I build a loader then I’ll pick one up from the junk yard I go to. Most likely be an old c series.

You May want to use the 518H for the Loader tractor, Just so You don't have to ride the Brake when driving into a pile of material. My White GT2055 with Kwik-way Loader has a Hand hydrostatic lever. The downside of the Hand Hydro-Levers with a Traditional 2-lever loader control is that you need 3 Hands sometimes. So I would Look at Building a Joystick control for your Loader while not a Wheel Horse. This Can give You some ideas for a Joy Stick control for a loader: https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/x585-h4-joystick-quick-attach-mod-grapple-build.1367007/page-2#replies

BTW those Cad Plan Loaders. There is another company that Makes Pre-Cut Kits for those plans

http://www.metkit.com/

I'd actually suggest looking for a Used Wheel Horse 5Xi series with power steering  or a New Holland clone(GT20, GT22)  as I think they end up being better Loader tractors Than most of the C's(C195 being the exception) 300, 400 or 500 series tractors just because of their weight, size and Power steering on most Models.

I really think in the Last 20 years a slip bucket is more suited for the C's ,300, 400 and 500 series  like a Johnny Bucket Jr  if You don't need to Load carts or a pick-up trucks or Transport material over a 4 ft object such as a fence or wall . Those are all things I have needed to do. But I also added a Johnny Bucket Jr as well last fall  for Mulch work  as the Loader Bucket size and arms can get in my way for Mulch work under the Blue spruces :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

You have a junk yard that keeps tractors??

6 hours ago, sergeant said:

You May want to use the 518H for the Loader tractor, Just so You don't have to ride the Brake when driving into a pile of material

Keeping in mind that I drive equipment for a living... everyone has different habits and methods of operation so take this with a grain of salt, so to speak. 

When engaging into a pile of aggregate I'm NOT on the brake with our 416-8 Backhoe/ FEL. If anything it needs more forward push then pull back. 

Again... methods vary. 

Definitely agree with having assisted steering but not necessarily power steering. Our machine has neither right now but will have the gear reduction steering set-up from a 500 series. 

With standard 400 Wheelhorse steering it's a rugged buggah to handle but so am I. 

We'll be installing the gear reduction to make it easier to use in tighter quarters. 

6 hours ago, sergeant said:

need 3 Hands sometimes. So I would Look at Building a Joystick

This is definitely a concern. 

Something to think about.  

@sergeant. Appreciate that joystick link. 

• Thanks 1

Darb1964
11 hours ago, sergeant said:

You May want to use the 518H for the Loader tractor, Just so You don't have to ride the Brake when driving into a pile of material. My White GT2055 with Kwik-way Loader has a Hand hydrostatic lever. The downside of the Hand Hydro-Levers with a Traditional 2-lever loader control is that you need 3 Hands sometimes. So I would Look at Building a Joystick control for your Loader while not a Wheel Horse. This Can give You some ideas for a Joy Stick control for a loader: https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/x585-h4-joystick-quick-attach-mod-grapple-build.1367007/page-2#replies

BTW those Cad Plan Loaders. There is another company that Makes Pre-Cut Kits for those plans

http://www.metkit.com/

I'd actually suggest looking for a Used Wheel Horse 5Xi series with power steering  or a New Holland clone(GT20, GT22)  as I think they end up being better Loader tractors Than most of the C's(C195 being the exception) 300, 400 or 500 series tractors just because of their weight, size and Power steering on most Models.

I really think in the Last 20 years a slip bucket is more suited for the C's ,300, 400 and 500 series  like a Johnny Bucket Jr  if You don't need to Load carts or a pick-up trucks or Transport material over a 4 ft object such as a fence or wall . Those are all things I have needed to do. But I also added a Johnny Bucket Jr as well last fall  for Mulch work  as the Loader Bucket size and arms can get in my way for Mulch work under the Blue spruces :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I think he may not want to put it on the 518H because they have the smaller Eaton700 transmission. They don't hold up well in loader type appreciation.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

sergeant
21 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

I think he may not want to put it on the 518H because they have the smaller Eaton700 transmission. They don't hold up well in loader type appreciation.

I forgot about the Eaton 7 being in that. But a Hydro is better suited for Loader work on these smaller Garden tractors, as you don't have to either ride the brake or slam into the pile like You end up doing with a gear-drive horses.

• Like 3

OoPEZoO
Posted (edited)

I went back and forth about what tractor I planned to to use.  My main worker is a 314-8 and I use it for all sorts of things, but it certainly isn't the best option for a FEL due to being manual and I still want to use it for other things.  So I had been keeping my eyes peeled for something like a C160, GT14, or just in general something with a single cylinder w/ hydro.  I had been scouring the FEL build threads and kept seeing mentions about how beefy the 5xi series of tractors were.  I had never seen one in person, so I didn't give it much thought.  Then I stumbled onto one while driving home from work one day, and the deal was way too good to pass up.  It took about 30 seconds for me to realize that this was the correct tractor for the project.  They are beastly.  Its a shame they never got to evolve them like they did with the classic tractors.  The power steering, shaft drive, factory pedal controls, Eaton 1100 with the Hi/Lo, and MUCH heavier duty than my 314-8 made the decision easy.  Just looking at the weight difference tells a lot......314-8 is listed at 624lbs, the 522xi is listed at 1022lbs

That being said, if I had found a classic tractor option before the 522xi fell in my lap, I would have went that route as well.  I mean, the "best" option would realistically be buying something green or orange that was 4wd, diesel, and designed for a FEL......but what is the fun in that? :D

Edited by OoPEZoO
  • Like 2

sergeant
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Keeping in mind that I drive equipment for a living... everyone has different habits and methods of operation so take this with a grain of salt, so to speak. 

When engaging into a pile of aggregate I'm NOT on the brake with our 416-8 Backhoe/ FEL. If anything it needs more forward push then pull back. 

Again... methods vary. 

Definitely agree with having assisted steering but not necessarily power steering. Our machine has neither right now but will have the gear reduction steering set-up from a 500 series. 

With standard 400 Wheelhorse steering it's a rugged buggah to handle but so am I. 

We'll be installing the gear reduction to make it easier to use in tighter quarters. 

This is definitely a concern. 

Something to think about.  

@sergeant. Appreciate that joystick link. 

Yeah, I have tried a 520H with a KW Loader more than Once, The Owner of our rental House In Black River, NY (also a next-door Neighbor) Had a 1994 520H. In Late 1999, He Bought a 523Dxi, two Months after I bought a White GT2055. By the following summer, 2000, I got a great deal On a 1994 John Deere 425 with a 40-loader, 60-inch deck, and 42-Inch Hydraulic tiller (I had to pay the remaining balance a guy owed on his Deere 4100 Compact), which was $3,300. That 523DXi and JD 425 really seem to speed up the 1/4-mile driveway Project we were doing. My original intention was to buy that 18-acre place In New York once I retired from the Army. But the Boss (wife) Made me retire a little earlier than I expected, at 21 years of service and not 30. So we moved to a House we already owned On 5.5 acres, back In Illinois. 

But even before the White, we did have a Garden tractor with Power steering, which I still have an Ingersoll 3016PS. Kwik-Way didn't produce a Loader for the Ingersoll 3000 series, But I only found out about it a year after the purchase of the 3016PS. They made one for the 4000 series at the time

I grew up with a JD A with a Loader and non-Power steering, A narrow front is not fun with a loader to begin with.

If I were a good fabricator and wanted to put a Loader on my 1992 416H, I would probably look at adding one of the electronic Power steering Kits from either Cub Cadet or Simplicity (the same manufacturer made the electronic Power steering system for both brands), and it's more of a power assist. Not as responsive as hydraulic power steering, but still better than manual steering On a wheel Hose 300, 400, or 520.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

87 416-8 horse
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

They just have a couple horses and JD. They have around 4 to 5 old c series laying around. It's about an hour and a half drive for me.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

They just have a couple horses and JD. They have around 4 to 5 old c series laying around. It's about an hour and a half drive for me.

I'd be there with a trailer.....

😂

• Haha 1