Moonshine*Connoisseur

Bushing for throttle shaft

Moonshine*Connoisseur

Anyone familiar with getting and installing a bushing for the throttle shaft on a M14 carburetor?  What is the part number and where can I get it ? I was on isavetractors website but didn't find it on there. Thanks- Brady.

ebinmaine

You'll want to take a very close careful look at your own carb body to verify that the BOTTOM of the shaft is tight before attempting repair. 

I'm finding that the Magnum engines have a Walbro carb that's prone to wearing the body at the top AND bottom.  The bottom bore isn't repairable without specialized machinery. 

When you remove the throttle shaft blade screws be VERY careful. You'll most likely need to grind a small amount off the back of the screw where it sticks past the shaft. Many of these screws are staked in. Many are in using loctite. Almost all break if you don't grind the back. 

Certainly try the tighten/ loosen/ tighten/ loosen/ tighten/ loosen/ method too.  

The part numbers are: 

Carb copper washers:

Mcmaster Carr  #  5906K561

Or 

Hillman 58087

They aren't on isave because he wants to sell you a new aftermarket cheap carb rather than repair your own original. 

I can no longer advise his carbs after having a couple wear out prematurely.  

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Moonshine*Connoisseur

The bottom part of the shaft is good and tight. Thank you for the info, appreciate you @ebinmaine

• Like 1

Moonshine*Connoisseur

I looked up the McMaster Carr part number provided,  it looks more like a washer than a bushing. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. Does it not go inside the top hole ? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Moonshine*Connoisseur said:

I looked up the McMaster Carr part number provided,  it looks more like a washer than a bushing. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. Does it not go inside the top hole ? 

You stack two inside that top hole.  

• Like 1

Moonshine*Connoisseur

Ahh I see. Ok awesome 👍 

• Like 1

Moonshine*Connoisseur

The throttle shaft itself has a little wear but not as much as the top hole does, would you recommend replacing the shaft too or do you think it'll be good enough ?  

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Moonshine*Connoisseur said:

The throttle shaft itself has a little wear but not as much as the top hole does, would you recommend replacing the shaft too or do you think it'll be good enough ?  

Hard to answer that before you get the bushings in there. Likely you're going to find that the bushings line up to a different spot on the shaft than where the stock  location is.

You're probably okay with the throttle shaft you have.

Howie

I would replace the shaft at the same time. If the body is worn that shaft is too.

May not be very much but still worn.

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Howie said:

I would replace the shaft at the same time. If the body is worn that shaft is too.

May not be very much but still worn.

On the older K series carbs I normally deal with,  the new bushing/washer rides on a higher part of the throttle shaft. 

Replacement of the shaft isn't necessary. 

On the newer engines with Walbro carbs I'm not sure.  

pfrederi

Kohler discontinued Throttle shaft kits years ago for their carbs.  Can't find for the walbro but I imagine they are gone also.  When you find one on ebay $40-50 or more.

Put in the bushings an live with it.

• Like 1