RED-Z06

Is anyone using this muffler?

RED-Z06

My outlet pipes on my K series measure 1.260" (1"npt), has anyone used these mufflers on their engines, if so what pipe did you use? Ive got an 8hp and a 12hp that need new exhaust...want to see if this muffler can be made to fit that pipe 

Screenshot_20240301_162348_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240301_162459_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I've used those. I recommend them. 

Decent medium to low tone.  

Works well.  

• Like 2

RED-Z06
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've used those. I recommend them. 

Decent medium to low tone.  

Works well.  

Do you recall anything special about the inlet?  The 1"npt seems pretty common but its smaller than 1⅜ (1.375 to 1.260)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Do you recall anything special about the inlet?  The 1"npt seems pretty common but its smaller than 1⅜ (1.375 to 1.260)

Been a few years since I set that up. 

I've done one myself on an 8 HP but that's smaller NPT. 

I have one here on a 16 HP Tecumseh.  Not sure the size.  

• Like 1

RED-Z06
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Been a few years since I set that up. 

I've done one myself on an 8 HP but that's smaller NPT. 

I have one here on a 16 HP Tecumseh.  Not sure the size.  

K181 was 1" npt wasnt it?  My OH160 was 1"

• Like 1

OoPEZoO

I'm using one on my 314-8 (K321).  I had a run of the mill old piece of black steel pipe in the corner of the shop that threaded into the engine.  I believe it was 1" NPT.  I cut it to length, slipped the muffler over, and clamped'r down.  I do recall that it seemed a little loose at first test fit, but clamped down just fine with no leaks.  Its quieter than the stock muffler I had.  I ended up going that way because I was having belt clearance issues between the stock muffler and my wood chipper that runs off the PTO.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

K181 was 1" npt wasnt it?  My OH160 was 1"

I believe so sir. 

WHX??

Oh yeah @Shynonturned me on to them years ago. They have a real nice mellow sound ... you can put a tink tink on them ... they fit right on a 1in nipple... And best for us with 30 tractors... affordable. 

Cub bracket comes right off. 

20230327_083052.jpg

• Like 6

wallfish

Been using those for a while. Used to get them from Pat's small engine for $20

It will fit on the 1" pipe but use a clamp too

• Like 3

WHX??
28 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Used to get them from Pat's small engine for $20

Didn't know Pat's had them Fish. Thanks... always got them off fleabay around 40. 

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Been using those for a while. Used to get them from Pat's small engine for $20

It will fit on the 1" pipe but use a clamp too

4 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Didn't know Pat's had them Fish. Thanks... always got them off fleabay around 40. 

If they're available less than $30 I'd appreciate a link.  

wallfish
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

They're not $20 anymore but that's where I first found them years ago. I'd buy 2 or 3 of those at a time. Use them on all my customs.

Always used to load up on stuff from Pat's but their new website is just about useless. So hard to navigate and find parts that I don't bother any more. Plus they back ordered stuff on me a couple of times and screwed up the orders while wanting more money.

post-658-0-19924600-1349040995.jpg.6ee8205f9442551cc760d29ce599a8c1.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
4 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Always used to load up on stuff from Pat's but their new website is just about useless. So hard to navigate and find parts that I don't bother any more. Plus they back ordered stuff on me a couple of times and screwed up the orders while wanting more money.

Sorry to have to second that boys but same here. How bout you @Achto

They had four term SG regs listed for 19 + the flat rate ship for 10 any order. Ok deal right? We used to get together and a bunch of us order. Was 8 bucks then for whole order. 

Couldn't order off website and when I called was told to get them elsewhere?!?!?

Check them on fleabay EB... Cub muffler. You'll find them prices all over the board. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RED-Z06
13 minutes ago, wallfish said:

They're not $20 anymore but that's where I first found them years ago. I'd buy 2 or 3 of those at a time. Use them on all my customs.

post-658-0-19924600-1349040995.jpg.6ee8205f9442551cc760d29ce599a8c1.jpg

Alot and by alot I mean most e-commerce small engine retailers seem to have gotten into the business of drop shipping, they have a distributor or wholesaler who has parts, the retailer advertises them online, you buy them...then the distributor comes back and says hey we sold out of those a year ago.  I run into it alot with partstree, you'll see items that will say "117 in stock, ships in 7-10 days"...that means they dont have any on hand.

RED-Z06

What rain flapper are yall using, i see 1 3/8 and the flapper is always "in a range" of sizes

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

How bout you @Achto?

Haven't ordered from Pat's  in a while. Last time I ordered I gathered all my part numbers & ordered by phone. If they said "not in stock" or "on back order", I told them to skip that part. Too bad that they are getting hard to deal with, they used to be a great source for parts. 

RED-Z06

This says 1.5", I can probably make it fit, i normally make a soot/spark arrester screen when i do a stack so the screen will go down into the muffler and a skirt will be around the top, i can tuck it under the flapper "clamp".

Screenshot_20240301_202325_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
4 hours ago, Achto said:

Haven't ordered from Pat's  in a while. Last time I ordered I gathered all my part numbers & ordered by phone. If they said "not in stock" or "on back order", I told them to skip that part. Too bad that they are getting hard to deal with, they used to be a great source for parts. 

the way i recall the past few times i ordered online and they then could not deliver item, i recall they said they don't have a relationship with Toro any longer thus don't have WH inventory access -- i began going to them for favorable prices a few yrs ago but now its not worth the hassle getting orders canceled after the fact so i just go direct elsewhere  -- they admit their web site is out of date -- Time and aggrivation are worth money to me like most folks so I now go where prices are fair  -- but also for stress free convenience..... mostly to Toro parts online if i want a OEM WH part.

• Like 2

midpack

I used one of those like this. I had a section of exhaust pipe from a blown up KT-17 that I used on the end to direct the exhaust and still use the PTO

20230803_053806.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

This says 1.5", I can probably make it fit, i normally make a soot/spark arrester screen when i do a stack so the screen will go down into the muffler and a skirt will be around the top, i can tuck it under the flapper "clamp".

These mufflers should be their own spark arrestor but having a second one certainly doesn't hurt. 

If it's too large inside diameter you could just add a thicker bushing. 

Wheelhorse#1

They are good mufflers and sound great.I have one on a 12hp .

Easy to install,elbow  with u-clamp works great no issues.

IMG_7948.jpeg

• Like 1

RED-Z06

Ive ordered my clamps, flappers, ill probably order the mufflers in a couple days.

• Like 2

davem1111
Posted (edited)

This looks like the same muffler I bought to put on my GT-1848. Had to fabricate a bracket to hold it steady.  I got the flapper at Rural King, had to cut a bit off the top of the muffler where it was angled to put the flapper on.  It's got a nice "throaty" sound, a bit on the loud side and I always wear my earmuffs unless I'm only idling it.

[edit:] Forgot to mention that this is a Honda GX610 that some PO had repowered it with. The OEM muffler on that engine is why the hood was cut. One of these days I'll finish restoring the hood to better shape, or replace it. For now I welded some sheet metal on there and sprayed it.

image.png.2b17a469c911b2834032fc5b7166176a.png

Edited by davem1111
  • Like 1

RED-Z06

Got it on and put new rings/piston in the 702.  Really like the mellow sound.  I picked up like 60" of pipe off ebay I think its was for $40 shipped, slipped perfectly over the outlet and the flap fit perfectly, great pipe, nice and thick, easy to weld on.

https://youtu.be/ZWwif5_oQDc?si=47YMdUbhHT0DOxTc

• Like 1

RED-Z06

And i put one on the 312, when that knock becomes a window i can easily transfer the exhaust to the C-100...and do a new exhaust for whatever I repower with.

https://youtu.be/V6y0zUDAdWI?si=bD3M90043p7qM0f7

• Like 1