WheelHorseVH

Valve adjustment on…Linamar?

lynnmor

I agree that the routing of the wires is poor but I never had a problem.  Just be sure that they aren't pinched too tight.

Just so you know, that "stainless steel" muffler shield isn't solid stainless so don't polish it too much.

You really need a chrome dipstick tube, the correct dipstick with out the bumps and a decal on the air filter top.  :-D

WheelHorseVH

Jumped outside the moment I was free this morning and started it up. It fired right up and ran beautifully. I let it warm up a bit and slowly raised throttle to WOT and to my surprise it didn’t fall flat on the way like it used to.  Maybe there was a lean condition being caused by a leaky gasket that went away? I didn’t touch the carb. Anyway, I let it run at WOT for a few min and got my new exhaust paint to set through the first 10 min cycle. Next up will be a 20 min run…an excuse to push some dirt around my yard. 

Funny thing about idle speed… when I back down from WOT, it seems to settle on a slightly higher idle than at startup. I’m talking close to 1200 RPM. Should I just back out the low speed screw a bit on the carb? It should be at 1000, right?

@lynnmor I have a brand new decal for the air cleaner sitting in my basement with the rest of the decals I bought from @Vinylguy. The problem is that every time I think about putting them on, I talk myself out of actually using them because they’re prettier than the tractor’s paint job. Stupid, I know. I should just use them and then buy more when I am finally able to get the paint job I have wanted. As for the chrome dip stick, maybe I can find someone here willing to sell me one!

RED-Z06

Governed idle (not base idle) should be around 1400, base idle just below that speed.  You should be able to bring it down from high rpm and it it should sit against the stop, then it should recover to the Governed idle speed.

lynnmor

The idle speed specification has changed over the years from 1200 to 1400.

I this wrote in another thread for an engine that had a 1200 specification:

Idle speed is to be 1200 RPM and maximum throttle is 3600 RPM.

To adjust carburetor and governor do this:

Back off the idle speed screw, located near the throttle cable towards the front of the engine, about 2 turns.

Adjust the idle stop screw, located on the rear side of the carburetor, to 1000 RPM.

Adjust the idle mixture screw for the highest and best idle and readjust the stop screw as needed to maintain 1000 RPM.

Repeat the last step as needed.

Adjust the idle speed screw to 1200 RPM.

The above procedure will give you a governed idle.

Move throttle to full, the speed should be 3600 RPM, bend throttle stop if adjustment is needed.