uk175horse

K341 Hard Starting

pfrederi
13 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I could use the instructions too @ebinmaine. Have a carb for my K 161 that I cleaned and rebuilt but doesn't seem to want to start the engine. Might be "the shaft to bore wear"?

Throttle shaft bore wear won't keep an engine from starting./  May run poorly but doesn't cause a no start situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

@Sailman

Can you squirt a little gasoline in the carb to see if the engine will fire?

• Thanks 1

Sailman
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@Sailman

Can you squirt a little gasoline in the carb to see if the engine will fire?

Yes it will fire briefly with direct injection into the carb. It has good spark at the plug, fuel pump is pumping but I can't get it to run. Its pull start, not electric start so it gets old quick :handgestures-thumbdown:. I disassembled the carb, ran it through the ultra sonic cleaner for 2- 20 minute cycles, made sure all orifices were clear, put carb kit (float needle and seat, gaskets, washers) in but still no go. Stumped for now. Maybe redo the ultrasonic cleaner treatment?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Sailman said:

Yes it will fire briefly with direct injection into the carb. It has good spark at the plug, fuel pump is pumping but I can't get it to run. Its pull start, not electric start so it gets old quick :handgestures-thumbdown:. I disassembled the carb, ran it through the ultra sonic cleaner for 2- 20 minute cycles, made sure all orifices were clear, put carb kit (float needle and seat, gaskets, washers) in but still no go. Stumped for now. Maybe redo the ultrasonic cleaner treatment?

I send a Kohler carb through my ultrasonic cleaner 3 to 5 times MINIMUM after cleaning most of the outside. 

When done with that stage I use brake clean to squirt through every little orifice back n forth a few times. 

Do you have another carb you could swap to prove that's the issue? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sailman
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I send a Kohler carb through my ultrasonic cleaner 3 to 5 times MINIMUM after cleaning most of the outside. 

When done with that stage I use brake clean to squirt through every little orifice back n forth a few times. 

I was thinking that should be my next move. Run it through the ultrasonic a few more times. I had originally soaked it in a toluene / acetone mixture (same ingredients as carb cleaner). Then I ran it through the ultrasonic with an "aluminum wheel cleaner" and water.

Don't have an extra carb but assumed that was the issue since it fires with a direct squirt.

• Like 2