Pullstart

Has anyone ever rebuilt an automotive brake caliper?

ACman

Sadly it’s going to to the wayside . Though I can’t work on my own stuff because of my injury my shop is full of stuff that be dangerous lol . I’ve taught my kids and their friends or whoever that will listen to work on various things. Especially now that the high school no longer has an auto shop class . My son is a penny pincher and he did rebuild his power steering box on his Duramax as it did save him a couple hundred dollars . He did however had to remove it and replace a o-ring that ripped because he didn’t listen to dad and didn’t put any oil on it before installing . One thing that that I had to beat it through his head :angry-boxing: though was  take the cores back . Heck there’s times the cores are more than what the new part cost .

• Like 2

peter lena

@Pullstart  back in the day , you rebuilt everything / anything , obviousely not today , did my share , would rather just swap out for a fresh one . one of the rarer good things today , Pete

• Like 1

Pullstart

• Like 1

lynnmor

You should remove the seals and try the pistons in the bores, they should be completely free.  Then install new seals and retest.  I have found that the sticking caliper problem is often caused by the brake hose being crushed by corrosion in the holding bracket, be sure to check that before calling the job complete.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
20 hours ago, lynnmor said:

You should remove the seals and try the pistons in the bores, they should be completely free.  Then install new seals and retest.  I have found that the sticking caliper problem is often caused by the brake hose being crushed by corrosion in the holding bracket, be sure to check that before calling the job complete.

I did end up replacing the caliper, I found that with my FIL’s discount at O’reilly through his work, it was cheaper to get a reman caliper than to order the piston and seals alone!  Sad, indeed.  There was definitely one stuck piston but it was worth trying to see if I could remedy the issue.

Tractorhead
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

I did end up replacing the caliper, I found that with my FIL’s discount at O’reilly through his work, it was cheaper to get a reman caliper than to order the piston and seals alone!  Sad, indeed.  There was definitely one stuck piston but it was worth trying to see if I could remedy the issue.

It‘s definitely worth a try, but i allready told ya.

sadly but true.

not very sustainable