6wheeler

Tie rod ends

6wheeler

Hi all. I know there was something in here about making our own tie rods. But, I'll be darned if I can find it. :confusion-scratchheadblue:. I would like to use Heim joints. I need to get or make 3 sets for now. If someone has made some? :tools-hammerdrill: Give me some hints on what you did.  Thanks   Pat

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Stock OE Wheelhorse rod ends are mostly 3/8. 

I use 7/16 greasable tie rods from McMaster Carr. 

Normally double male. Normally RH thread on both ends. A LH thread on one end would make adjustment easier but I don't have access to the LH taps or dies. We only adjust during assembly so it isn't a big deal.  

The reason for the 7/16 is two fold. 

1. The holes on the steering system  from the OE 3/8 rods are often egged out so drilling up to the 7/16  corrects that. 

2. The larger rods are ALOT stronger than the smaller ones.  

My biggest personal hindrance is access to a lathe. 

I've had a few folks make me up some center sections using different sizes of round or even hex shaped stock.  

• Like 3

pfrederi

I do not have metal working stuff so this is how I made some ..newer ones i use heim jonts

Fine threaded rod from McMaster.  1/4" 6 inch pipe nipples.  You have to run a 3/8 drill through them to clean them up but the ID of  1/4 pipe is just about 3/8

IMG_0269.JPG

• Like 9

ri702bill

I do have access to a lathe, and have made 2 sets using replacement AYP RH female heim joints. Split sizes - 7/16-20 tor the female end, the stud is 3/8-24.

One set was made from galvanized 1/2" round stock, the other from 5/8" steel hexstock. I prefer the later - visable at the bottom of the picture.

You WILL to chase the plating out of the female ends.....

P1010183.JPG

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

ri702bill

Look at the ones Lowell sells in the Vendor's section. Ready to install, reasonably priced...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3

Handy Don
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

My biggest personal hindrance is access to a lathe. 

I have a friend who has been trying to sell me one of his three lathes. When I asked why three lathes, his response was “Why not?” In response to his pitch, I tell him I prefer having a friend with a lathe to owning one myself! Next time I see him, I’ll get some more details!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I have a friend who has been trying to sell me one of his three lathes. When I asked why three lathes, his response was “Why not?” In response to his pitch, I tell him I prefer having a friend with a lathe to owning one myself! Next time I see him, I’ll get some more details!

Trina and I have considered one for here more than once. 

Obviously the pricing is a primary consideration.  

I'd like to have the capability of repair or maintenance on the Wheelhorses mainly.  

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Look at the ones Lowell sells in the Vendor's section. Readt to install, reasonably priced...

Brian Badman may have some too.  

• Like 1

Lee1977

SAM-1011.jpg

I use 1/2" heims joints.These rods were turn down from 5/8"  to 1/2" then fine treaded. I use only right hand heims joints don't have a left hand die.

I useally drill and tap the spindles to a 1/2 fine and bush the ones on the triangle down to 3/8".

The last ones I made with 1/2" rod.

• Like 5

Lee1977

Here are the ones with the 1/2" rod. I got 1/2" to 3/8" steel bushings from Lowes and cut them down, had to put the on a bolt in the drill press and file the 1/2" down to get them in the heims joints. Just used 3/8" bolts at all ends. had to run the die on them to get them to tighten on the heims joins. 

SAM-1618.jpg

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

Mine from 7/16" threaded rod and greasable joints.  Never had a problem. IMG_6571.JPG.6370721c57b05914394b72fcd9be1ae4.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

peter lena

@Ed Kennell  been road testing HEIM JOINTS FOR YEARS , can relate , no failures yet , Pete

• Like 1

ri702bill
36 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Ed Kennell  been road testing HEIM JOINTS FOR YEARS , can relate , no failures yet , Pete

And, if you DO, no big deal to replace just the ends.....:thumbs2:

• Like 2

Lee1977
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

And, if you DO, no big deal to replace just the ends.....:thumbs2:

For a few dollars more, buy good quality lined jeims joints, the frist one I bought in 1989 are still tight.

• Like 4

peter lena

@Ed Kennell   , also have them on my clutch linkage / PTO  trunnion replacement , helps the smooth / solid action , of course . dozer blade , swing lever arm ends ,  keep it smooth , Pete 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
7 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Look at the ones Lowell sells in the Vendor's section. Ready to install, reasonably priced...

:text-yeahthat:

Have them on three :wh:'s... excellent quality.

• Like 1

6wheeler
8 hours ago, ri702bill said:

I looked in the vendors section. Um, Nobody under Lowell. Maybe I did it wrong.