cleat

Ridgid 6" pipe wrench cleaned up.

ri702bill

Where I worked in the 1980's building Gundrills, they switched from the heavy cast iron Rigid pipe wrenches to the newer aluminum ones. They were going to throw all the cast iron ones out to the dumpster!! I told the foreman to throw one my way, I'll take that 2 foot long one home. He told me "here you go, and there is a new spare set of replacable jaws taped to it". Still got it.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

cleat

Nothing wrong with the old iron pipe wrenches other than weight.

Ridgid has the best jaws of any pipe wrenches I have ever used.

All the rest of my pipe wrenches are aluminum but the little 6" is so small it really would not make a difference with it.

• Like 7

peter lena

@cleat  have a number of pipe wrenches , also have 1"  I/D  steel piping . that combo has more often than not easily  moved  the most stubborn  anything  , have also welded a  6 - 10 "  extension  on smaller pipe wrenches , for tight spots . also impact point with a 3 lb hammer  is just behind the  jaw swivel nut , thats the impact , move point . worked with a pipe fighter / fitter  for years , that where you wear how to use a pipe wrench .  small wrenches get into the tight spots , add leverage to that for  removal . pete

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Nothing bites and holds like a Rigid .      In addition to pipe, nuts and bolt work, I also use mine for metal bending and straightening.  I use aluminum jaw covers for bending.

Oh, and can't count the number of times the Rigid has loosened a stuck Sundstrand tow valve.

Here's my 14 and 24.    A 10 and 6 would be nice to have.

104_2940.JPG.7df697798e010bb57412e6dca9e043e0.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

cleat

This is the rest that I have left.

2- 24" ridgid aluminum

2- 18" ridgid aluminum

2- 10" ridgid aluminum

1- 8" no name iron

2- ridgid strap wrenches 18" aluminum

3- vice grip chain wrenches

I sold the 36" and 48" ridgid aluminum ones that I had when I retired.

DSCN6017.JPG.1b3be5e0e6f2d7f6dcdc188324afc81b.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

cleat

Pipe wrenches I find are usually used in pairs and that is why I have two of most sizes.

However, the use of threaded pipe is getting to be less and less at residential level so mine sit unused most of the time.

When I worked for DuPont as a millwright in the SUVA, FREON plant I used my pipe wrenches every day.

They shut the plant down and moved operations to China but 30 years pulling on 36" and 48" every day I was ready for a change.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Excellent save on that Cleat.  

I appreciate your "pen for scale".

Makes me realize just how small that wrench is.  

20240223_122416.jpg.7aeab2ed31aa59f893d53626dec57039.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

cleat
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Excellent save on that Cleat.  

I appreciate your "pen for scale".

Makes me realize just how small that wrench is.  

Yes, it is tiny.

Works well for removing small studs.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

My  plumber uses water pump pliers for all threaded assembly.    He only uses the pipe wrenches for disassembly of old piping.

Image result for water pump pliers oics

1063374723_104_2747-Copy.JPG.a23eccde15b5dd7db5f8c8145af2ffac.JPG

• Like 2

Wheelhorse#1

I have a few of those myself .Cant beat the quality of the old school tools.Nice job ! 

• Like 4

ebinmaine

Now you guyzz got me lookin on fleeebay for one or some!!

Really could have used one this past weekend.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

cafoose
11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I wonder how many lost tools I really have.   :unsure:

spongebob-welcome.gif

• Haha 4

ebinmaine

Well thanks to this awesome site I spent more money yesterday. 

Got a 6" Ridgid coming in the post. 

We went to see my parents yesterday and were helping them with some quick vehicle maintenance. While looking around for some oil I found a Ridgid 10" wrench on my father's garage wall. 

I'll put in a requisition for that when they're done with it.  

• Like 3

peter lena

@cleat  have a number of pipe wrenches , also have 1"  I/D  steel piping . that combo has more often than not easily  moved  the most stubborn  anything  , have also welded a  6 - 10 "  extension  on smaller pipe wrenches , for tight spots . also impact point with a 3 lb hammer  is just behind the  jaw swivel nut , thats the impact , move point . worked with a pipe fighter / fitter  for years , that where you wear how to use a pipe wrench .  small wrenches get into the tight spots , add leverage to that for  removal . pete

• Like 2

peter lena

@cleat  have a number of pipe wrenches , also have 1"  I/D  steel piping . that combo has more often than not easily  moved  the most stubborn  anything  , have also welded a  6 - 10 "  extension  on smaller pipe wrenches , for tight spots . also impact point with a 3 lb hammer  is just behind the  jaw swivel nut , thats the impact , move point . worked with a pipe fighter / fitter  for years , that where you wear how to use a pipe wrench .  small wrenches get into the tight spots , add leverage to that for  removal . https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-BLU075C-3-4-Black-Union?utm_source=google_ad&utm_medium=Shopping_withoutdata&utm_campaign=Shopping_  notice the INSIDE  edge of the lock collar ? if you never seize that  flat circular  contact point , that joint will open with ease , done miles of  steam piping , make things easier , pete

• Like 1

cleat

I worked at DuPont as a millwright for 40 years and we used cheaters sometimes as well.

A length of 2" scaffold tube slid onto a 36" pipe wrench got most things moving.

Also giving the fitting a good whack with a hammer helped break it loose as well.

I had to lubricate the pipe wrenches quite a bit because we worked mostly outside and with steam and water but even worse was the acid lines.

HCL made everything it touched rust.

However, the HF while deadly to humans was inert to most metals.

• Like 3

Horse Newbie

I don’t see where it says 6  inch

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I don’t see where it says 6  inch

On 2/23/2024 at 8:36 AM, cleat said:

428804705_Ridgid6pipewrench2.JPG.6bb0b85cc6a8085ae181204af6f226d7.JPG

It's on the silver threaded part.  

• Like 1

cleat

It's also cast into the body but hard to see even in person. 

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

I have in pipe wrenches…

2-8 inch Ridge Tool Co. (one missing the adjuster )

2-10 inch Ridge Tool Co.

1-12 inch Ridge Tool Co.

1-14 inch Ridgid

1-14 inch Task Force

1-14 inch Husky

I think the Ridge Tool Co. is the same as Ridgid…

IMG_3561.jpeg

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
23 minutes ago, cleat said:

It's also cast into the body but hard to see even in person. 

I thought I had a small one with an 8 inch…

There was an old steam fitter that I knew from when I worked at Charlotte Mecklenburg School Maintenance Department…

for 40 years or better he carried a 6 inch or so adjustable wrench around in his coveralls pocket. Carrying that wrench around in his pocket for all those years had it shined up like polished chrome. On the day he retired, he gave it to his favorite apprentice… tears flowed…

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Heart 1

peter lena

@cleat  sounds like we went to the same , PIPE FIGHTERS SCHOOL , at monthly product changeover time , we were either on steam lines , or production , changeover  swap out . also under the floor decks , near the river , the rats were as big as Kats , Tyvek suit  , portable air , next to the steam turbines , gets kind of sweaty , did my 30 , Pete

• Like 1