CCW

Vendor review - RePower

kpinnc

This is good to know info!

I've been aware of them for a while, but hadn't seen anyone from our group with experience. Glad it worked out! Do they still run Vanguards?

I know someone with a repowered 520-H that had one of thier kits installed, but he bought the tractor after the conversion. But, it's still going strong years later. 

I've converted several now to Vanguard, but did it myself. Plug and play would be nice! 

IMG_20231105_171454428.jpg

• Like 8

CCW

@kpinnc Regarding Vanguards I do not know the answer.  A call into them would, I imagine, provide a quick answer.

PWL216

@CCW Thx for the info! Just curious, what was your (and others who have done repowers)  thinking and decision criteria around buying a new engine vs having a professional rebuild done of the old one and not having to deal with the tweaks involved? Looking at the engine prices on their website it seems a new engine could easily be 3 to 4 times the cost of a rebuild. 

kpinnc
16 minutes ago, PWL216 said:

Thx for the info! Just curious, what was your (and others who have done repowers)  thinking and decision criteria around buying a new engine vs having a professional rebuild done of the old one and not having to deal with the tweaks involved?

The good and bad of the answer is simple. The good is that most newer engines use breakerless ignition, so the electrical portion is fairly easy- though in the case of a 520-X you will lose some dash functionality (vacuum, RPM, etc). Of course these can be replaced with other functions like oil pressure and temp, which may be more useful regardless.

The bad side is some engines require a degree of fabrication to place the PTO shaft in the exact location of the original. I don't have experience with Honda engines, but Vanguards need to be elevated about 1/2 inch to line up correctly, and thier bolt pattern is different. 

5 hours ago, CCW said:

Regarding Vanguards I do not know the answer.  A call into them would, I imagine, provide a quick answer.

A quick run through the website shows they primarily use Honda engines, but they also offer Kohler and Vanguard V twins for certain machines. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CCW

@PWL216 This answer has multiple parts.  The two local options mentioned months for a rebuild to take place because of difficulties with getting the machining done.  The logistics of having a RS member who does rebuilding were not workable.  He lives in Virginia and I in Connecticut.  Yes it was much more expensive, but I now have a new, more efficient, and quieter engine. Additionally it is a twin.  Another option was to purchase an different 312-8 that was only 90 minutes away, but then I would have two tractors with only room for one in the shed.  Also I only want one.  I am not a collector, but just an appreciative user of this machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PWL216

@CCW Thx! Makes sense. I appreciate the insight. 

• Like 2

CCW

@PWL216 Additional factor is the quality of the overall tractor.  It has been garaged its entire life so there is no rust on it, the plow or the 36" RD deck.  Add to this the modifications I have made over the past five years to make it workable for me.

• Like 1

Lee1977
On 2/23/2024 at 9:05 AM, PWL216 said:

@CCW Thx for the info! Just curious, what was your (and others who have done repowers)  thinking and decision criteria around buying a new engine vs having a professional rebuild done of the old one and not having to deal with the tweaks involved? Looking at the engine prices on their website it seems a new engine could easily be 3 to 4 times the cost of a rebuild. 

Buying from Repower is going to be a lot easer. I have done a couple but I'm not new to modifitactions,  I also had friends that helped with machine shop work that I don't have the equipment to do.

Yes a new engine is doing to cost more, but it's all new.  If you replace all the parts on a rebuilt engine with new, it Isn't going to be much cheaper. 

SAM-0144.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2