953 nut

TRACTOR TRIVIA and other interesting stuff 2/17/2024

ebinmaine

Quite the story!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Interesting that Ottawa tractor is in the last link. Just last night I was watching and reading about that manufacturer's story and how they came to be a larger builder of "Yard mule" type trucks for moving semi trailers quickly and in tight quarters.   

26 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Curiosity and dumb luck are the two keys to researching these posts and I am enjoying it, glad you do too

Definitely been interesting 👌 

JoeM

Articles and people like Hiller makes me think about my journey and how things were once.

I worked with a guy that had all kinds of ideas. His problem was he could not finish one or see it through to the end. He would get it started and jump to another idea. A lot times I would ask him to take it over and finish. i wasn't shy either, with out of the box thinking. So it all fit nicely. 

Hiller was so blessed to have the ingredients for success. A great mind, and successful engineer father, money, and the perfect atmosphere to think. What a good deal.

Another thought is the tractor with the saw on top. I could just see my dad asking my mom about buying one. Of course her reply.....NO! Then the old man would say, you know if I had one of those, I could finish those shelf's in the pantry. Hmmmmm he increased his chances. 

It was a time of practicality. We had one car. Used it to go to work, go to church, go to the store and that was it. We walked everywhere else. Not much joy riding.

A transistor radio, one TV 2 and !/2 stations. 

Rich at first glance I thought it was about peddle tractors. Thinking with my eyes.

Thanks again for taking your time to put it all together, it is a lot of work.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Just last night I was watching and reading about that manufacturer's story and how they came to be a larger builder of "Yard mule" type trucks for moving semi trailers quickly and in tight quarters.

There may be an indirect relationship between the Kalmar Ottawa terminal tractors and the Ottawa Garden Tractor since they were both built in Ottawa, KS. E.L.Warner was the man behind the garden tractor but Ottawa is a small town so who knows.

I am putting the finishing touches on the Ottawa Garden Tractor and others whos roots are intertwined. Like I said before, you go looking for one thing and trip over another which leads you to another.

• Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

at first glance I thought it was about peddle tractors. Thinking with my eyes

Hold that thought, I'm starting one on some ridiculously small stuff.

• Thanks 1

ri702bill

His strategy was to become chairman or chief executive officer, and not take any compensation until the employees prospered from the turnaround, and the company's shareholders realized their promised returns. THAT IS TRUE LEADERSHIP.

That was then. Now in Corporate America it's all about maximizing the shareholders profit at the expense of the hired help.

And let us not forget the CEO's "Golden Parachute" where it costs more to get rid of him than keep him...... Been there, done that.

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2