michaeldhowell

Starting issues

michaeldhowell

How much spark/fire should I see when checking? Gt14 Kolher. Will start once but after shutting off it really struggles to start. Thanks

WHX??

:WRS:

I've had most of mine jump a good 1/8 " gap with a nice blue spark. Plug gap is only .025.. try the easy things first. New plug maybe. Also coils have been known to quit throwing spark once they get hot but fine when coid. Check points & condenser. 

What make you think it's an electrical problem? Fuel issues possibly? 

953 nut
3 hours ago, michaeldhowell said:

How much spark/fire should I see when checking? Gt14 Kolher. Will start once but after shutting off it really struggles to start. Thanks

Your engine probably has a triggerless ignition system, seer the drawing below. If it is the breakerless type DO NOT apply any power to the coil. I would replace the spark plug before doing anything else.

The engine needs spark but it also needs fuel and air to run. If you have about the same amount of spark before it starts and when you attempt a restart it may be a fuel/air problem.

1175594738_Kohlerignitioncoils.jpg.3f0067ce9fe430c6c0f341872ae857d7.jpg

michaeldhowell
12 hours ago, WHX?? said:

I've had most of mine jump a good 1/8 " gap with a nice blue spark. Plug gap is only .025.. try the easy things first. New plug maybe. Also coils have been known to quit throwing spark once they get hot but fine when coid. Check points & condenser. 

What make you think it's an electrical problem? Fuel issues possibly? 

My fire is blueish and visible, I will get a new plug and continue with checking the fuel system. I just bought the unit yesterday I fifed it with starting fluid once but would start again. Also what’s the best place to get Koehler parts? Thanks for the help!

michaeldhowell
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Your engine probably has a triggerless ignition system, seer the drawing below. If it is the breakerless type DO NOT apply any power to the coil. I would replace the spark plug before doing anything else.

The engine needs spark but it also needs fuel and air to run. If you have about the same amount of spark before it starts and when you attempt a restart it may be a fuel/air problem.

1175594738_Kohlerignitioncoils.jpg.3f0067ce9fe430c6c0f341872ae857d7.jpg

I do have the breakerless ignition coil type, it does seem like my spark is fairly stable, I got it to start with starting fluid a couple times but not every time. Does the speed that the engine turns over play in to this? Sorry for the mass of questions new to this! Thanks

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, michaeldhowell said:

I got it to start with starting fluid a couple times but not every time.

Take it easy with the starting fluid, it can cause damage if used in excess. Gasoline in a spray bottle is a safer option. If this is a new to you tractor that may have been sitting for a while, it is best to clean the entire fuel system. 

@ebinmaine can you hook this member up with that "new to me tractor" check list?

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Achto said:

@ebinmaine can you hook this member up with that "new to me tractor" check list?

Here ya go: 

Sorry for the mass of questions new to this! Thanks

No apologies for asking questions. 

That's how we learn.  

Click the link I posted above and peruse the list. 

That'll give you a series of things to check over.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

Also what’s the best place to get Koehler parts?

Fortunately there are many K-model engines and fans of them out there. So many parts are readily available both OEM and after market. If you know the part number for an item you can get it many places on the WEB.

Here is a link for the Kohler manual.

https://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/tp_2379.pdf

• Like 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, michaeldhowell said:

I got it to start with starting fluid a couple times but not every time. Does the speed that the engine turns over play in to this?

Starter fluid isn't too good for small engines.      :twocents-02cents:

One thing that could help is to fill the fuel tank with fresh non-ethanol gas. https://www.pure-gas.org/  Your fuel pump is located about half way up the height of the GT-14 fuel tank and they are good pushers but don't suck fuel too well. A heavy dose of Seafoam fuel additive could help clean the fuel system while you drive too.

• Like 1

michaeldhowell

Ya that’s why I only tried it as a last resort. I am going through the fuel system totally next. Thanks

2 hours ago, Achto said:

Take it easy with the starting fluid, it can cause damage if used in excess. Gasoline in a spray bottle is a safer option. If this is a new to you tractor that may have been sitting for a while, it is best to clean the entire fuel system. 

I will let you all know!!

• Like 4

Sailman

:text-welcomeconfetti:Congratulations on the GT 14. I have one, love it...they are a beast. My first go to on a new to me tractor that doesn't want to run right is the spark plug, then a carb clean. The Gt 14 carb can be a trick to get to because of the intake manifold and air cleaner off to the side but it is doable. I always adjust the valves when I have the carb off as it makes sense to do it while the carb is off.

You will find a boat load of helpful, knowledgeable folks here on this site to walk you through the issues so don't be shy about asking questions.

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 2

michaeldhowell
5 hours ago, Sailman said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:Congratulations on the GT 14. I have one, love it...they are a beast. My first go to on a new to me tractor that doesn't want to run right is the spark plug, then a carb clean. The Gt 14 carb can be a trick to get to because of the intake manifold and air cleaner off to the side but it is doable. I always adjust the valves when I have the carb off as it makes sense to do it while the carb is off.

You will find a boat load of helpful, knowledgeable folks here on this site to walk you through the issues so don't be shy about asking questions.

Thanks I will be doing the fuel end from top to bottom just as soon as I locate the carb kit , also trying to find a manual for the Koehler and for the GT-14 enjoying the challenge already!

ebinmaine
40 minutes ago, michaeldhowell said:

Thanks I will be doing the fuel end from top to bottom just as soon as I locate the carb kit , also trying to find a manual for the Koehler and for the GT-14 enjoying the challenge already!

Redsquare has a list of vendors.  

One you'll certainly to contact asap is Brian Badman.  

K & B Horse Parts. 

Likely they'd have the OEM Kohler carb kits. 

I believe for the manual there's a link a few posts back.  

The manual for the GT-14 may be in the files section here in the site.  

michaeldhowell
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Redsquare has a list of vendors.  

One you'll certainly to contact asap is Brian Badman.  

K & B Horse Parts. 

Likely they'd have the OEM Kohler carb kits. 

I believe for the manual there's a link a few posts back.  

The manual for the GT-14 may be in the files section here in the site.  

Thanks again l will check it out! Sure we will talk again.

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, michaeldhowell said:

trying to find a manual for the Koehler and for the GT-14

Here are some free downloads you may find helpful.

• Excellent 1