RandyLittrell

Epic up cycling

RandyLittrell

I watch a channel on YouTube called Epic Upcycling  and this guy is really enjoyable to watch. No talking, lots of hand tools and he uses scraps and old furniture he takes apart to build really cool things.

Here is a link to a video I really like, check it out!!

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 5

ebinmaine

Man! That's impressive!!

• Like 1

WHX??

Blackhood Bill

@RandyLittrell that is someone who knows the value of those tools and what they are capable of doing. Otherwise in my day we called him a Craftsman! 

• Like 5

formariz

Hard to explain, but there is somehow a sort of relationship developed by big users of hand tools with them that ones finds one self always improving how and where they are kept. At the risk of sounding weird I would say that it’s almost a reverence for them. We like to use them but equally like to look at them and marvel not only at their beauty but also at their ingenuity which makes them so effective. One also finds oneself collecting them without many times realizing it. 

The recycling of materials comes with the same mentality. There is a comfort in having , reusing ,and saving scraps and cut offs. One seems to save and gather everything. Sure one can go and buy materials to build something. There is however a satisfaction unlike any other that comes from making something out of “nothing “. If you buy it when completed you will never look at it in the future and remember the action of buying that material because it is really irrelevant to the project. Recycled materials however, are the story behind the project. One always remembers exactly the source . It’s the first thing that comes to mind and is what we talk about regarding the project.

As for tool cabinet in video it is gorgeous. Well thought out also. As far as “hardcore” woodworkers go there are about half a dozen “philosophies” as far as tool storage goes, the one in video being one of them. Besides tradition , there are reasons for the different ways, such as accessibility, flexibility, tool protection, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, formariz said:

. At the risk of sounding weird I would say that it’s almost a reverence for them. We like to use them but equally like to look at them and marvel not only at their beauty but also at their ingenuity which makes them so effective. One also finds oneself collecting them without many times realizing it. 

I wouldn't say that's weird in the slightest. 

I have no personal comparison of anything remotely close to your capabilities or experience but I do certainly have a great appreciation of the quality and history of an older tool. 

As you know our house shop etc is decorated all around with them.  

7 hours ago, formariz said:

The recycling of materials comes with the same mentality. There is a comfort in having , reusing ,and saving scraps and cut offs. One seems to save and gather everything

You try to throw away the smallest "scrap" of wood from around Trina. 

Interception is imminent!!    😅

And you all well know she'll use reuse deuse re-reuse and repeat until the chunk is literally falling apart or rotted.  

• Like 2

Handy Don

The 3-wheeled carriage that supports the revolving plate in our microwave had one wheel fall off. As best I could see it should have been held on by a plastic washer press-fit over a nub at the end of the spindle. Amazingly, a replacement carriage is still available 25 years later! Yeah, $20, but still...

I decided that I’d try to do a temporary fix and then order the part. I have a jar of odd “non-metal” washers collected over the years from who-knows-where and, as luck would have it, there was a tiny rubber ring that, with a bit of sanding to make it thinner, worked like a champ. My wife was not much more surprised than me to see it working again so quickly.

• Like 3

Wayne0

Hand tool wise, I'm OK with wood working tools, but give me a hacksaw and a file and I'll make anything metal.

• Like 2