Vinnie

416-8 Refilling transmission or gear box

Vinnie

I drained the gear oil from the transmission of my 416-8.   I tried to refill it and boy it is slow and overflows on the smallest amounts of oil going in.  How do I fill this gear box?  Do i need a medicine dropper?  

Achto
16 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Do i need a medicine dropper?

One of these works quite well. Push the tube deep into the fill hole so the inside fills first & pushes the air out.

https://www.harborfreight.com/gear-oil-and-fluid-pump-63588.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17890472041&campaignid=17890472041&utm_content=150898488447&adsetid=150898488447&product=63588&store=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAq4KuBhA6EiwArMAw1Drz1Q2Oqid8gt8L3TWyApXe1pvKElhgnvVhjHH5eYJe8a2n_5bsxBoCDMgQAvD_BwE

Or - patients. Put a little at a time in. Another thing that works "if it easy to remove" pull the shifter out and fill through the shifter hole.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill
17 minutes ago, Achto said:

"if it easy to remove" pull the shifter out and fill through the shifter hole.

Done that before!! AND - it gives you a chance to take a good look at the condition of the boot. Best to remove the shifter / boot in neutral....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Vinnie

Thanks. What a mess. 

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:

Those are quite handy for filling outboard lower units too. I fill thru the support bolt but on your tractor the fender pan has to come off. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

leabassett@sbcglobal.net

You could heat the oil some in really hot water this will make it flow better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@Vinnie  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Small-Vehicle-Engine-Funnel-Htsmf-2020-Gray/246125748?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2341&adid=22222222277246125748_117755028669_12420145346&wmlspartner=wm , makes it simple , agree  with @ri702bill  on that fill point , put on a new shifter boot , grease the INSIDE OF IT , lower level , so it slides over the irregular  areas on top of trans , also put a TYE  WRAP  just above the shift boot , on the shifter shaft , to hold it in place , combo helps the wear issues . Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

daveoman1966

Here is a very easy and non-messy solution to filling the gearbox....or anything similar.  

FILL VENT (8) - Copy.JPG

FILL VENT (6) - Copy.JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Excellent 6

peter lena

@daveoman1966,  YOU CAN,T DO THAT  !  just because I  said so , out of the box , looks like what I  would do , Pete 

• Haha 1