Mike'sHorseBarn

Round Hood Hood Attachment Fix

Mike'sHorseBarn

I couldn't think of a good title for this so here it goes. Where the hood attaches to the gas tank, it seems like that location is always broken. I have 2 tractors now that are broken like that. What's everyone using/doing to fix this? I was thinking of filling the hole with steel reinforced epoxy and drilling and drilling amd tapping that. Thoughts?

20240201_121743.jpg

Darrenw85

My 701 wasn't quite as bad as your 854, I ended up JB welding a threaded insert to the gas tank. It works fine with the thumb screws. 

ri702bill

A while back, @Pullstart posted his fix, and I did the same on my 502. Use a 1/4-20 square nut, insert it in the hole and turn it 45 degrees so the points are under the remaining tank metal . Grease up a 1/4-20 screw, thread it in to seat. That locks the nut into position. Then pack the void with JB weld. (Maybe some in first to bed the nut??). Let it cure, remove the screw, File or sand to shape - good to go....

Pullstart
7 hours ago, ri702bill said:

A while back, @Pullstart posted his fix, and I did the same on my 502. Use a 1/4-20 square nut, insert it in the hole and turn it 45 degrees so the points are under the remaining tank metal . Grease up a 1/4-20 screw, thread it in to seat. That locks the nut into position. Then pack the void with JB weld. (Maybe some in first to bed the nut??). Let it cure, remove the screw, File or sand to shape - good to go....

Now I may have posted about this, but I have never had to do as such.  If I remember my sources, I think it was @AMC RULES who pointed me in that direction, using PC-7 epoxy.  That stuff is incredibly hard once cured and can machine like steel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3